CalendarCalendar   Photos  * FAQ
It is currently Wed Oct 01, 2014 5:17 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Bead or Sights
PostPosted: Sun Mar 14, 2010 10:26 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

banjo wrote:
Thanks for the info, These look the same as the Marbles, for less money.

They are similar, but the Mepro has an even smaller white ring than the Marbles (in the catalogs, they typically show the older version with no white ring).

Either you are a weapon and your gun is a tool, or your gun is a weapon and you are the tool. - Tactical Response
Embrace your wear marks. - 870Pilot

PostPosted: Sun Mar 14, 2010 11:00 am 
Tournament Grade

I purchased this gun for use in near total darkness, I think any of these sights will work for me. About 20 years ago I had a deer walk under the tree that I was sitting in. I couldn't see my sights so needless to say, I let him go without shooting, after that experience, I took the iluminous material off the hands of an alarm clock and glued it to the sights on two of my guns. After that if I had back lighting, sky etc I could see my sights. I worked beautifully.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2010 3:25 pm 
Tournament Grade

I received the marbles sight today, I removed the bead and tried the new sight, it is approx 1/4 turn from being tight. WHAT NOW?

PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2010 3:43 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Did you see the post from The Guinea earlier in this thread? He had the same problem, and solved it.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2010 4:25 pm 
Tournament Grade

I've seen that and am in the process of doing almost the same. I was just seeing if there were any other suggestions. THANKS for the reply.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2010 4:55 pm 
Tournament Grade

It works, I'll put blue lock tite on it tomorrow. Red is too permanent.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2010 8:30 am 
Tournament Grade

The Guinea wrote:
burch wrote:
Leaning towards the Tritium Bead.........that`ll work with my Mossburg 500A ?

I have a Meprolight night sight I mounted on my Mossberg 500A awhile back. I have a couple thousand rounds thru it since the install and it has not budged. When the sight was screwed in to a snug fit it was not centered. It would turn about 1/4 past center. So after a bit of searching at the local ACE hardware I found small, black neoprene washers. I had to sand the washer a bit until I achieved a nice snug fit. Once I got the fit, I backed it out, cleaned all the threads and then put in a dab of red locktite.

Meprolight part number for Mossberg is 34044. Its a 5-40 thread. Cost is between $25 and $30. It's very durable and very bright.

The Guinea

I really like these. I'm looking at the site right now. Has anyone tried the 3 dot set up on either the mossberg or remington?

brad@stleathercraft.com
brad@mossbergowners.com

PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2010 2:01 pm 
Tournament Grade

Recieved my Meprolight bead and like Guinea`s the dang thing is way off center. I guess i`ll be making a hardware visit for a neoprene washer. The folks at Meprolight need to read this post. :lol:

PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2010 7:45 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

It's an issue with the Marbles bead as well.

Either you are a weapon and your gun is a tool, or your gun is a weapon and you are the tool. - Tactical Response
Embrace your wear marks. - 870Pilot

PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2010 8:10 pm 
Tournament Grade

It's not an issue. It would be just about impossible to index every bead and sight to "bottom out" at exactly the right point to line up with the receiver. Only recourse is to shim bead up as previously posted. Or to remove stock from there top of the barrel to let the bead turn a bit more.

FWIW, I'm seriously considering an XS big Dot for my gun.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2010 8:09 am 
Field Grade

Just for info sake, I had the same problem. I found the neoprene rubber washers hard to work with as they kept deforming as I would make the last turn to tighten the bead. This made it look untidy. (maybe the kind others used were harder?) In the end I found a fiber washer (home depot) which was much stiffer than the rubber ones and smaller as well. After a little sanding, this worked perfectly.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2010 8:28 am 
Presentation Grade

Yesterday I was able to print two three-shot groups inside 2" at 50 yards, with a red-dot on my 590A1 (the only two groups I shot at that range). The rest of my slugs were spent on the 8" gong and shooting 6" pieces of 2x4 at 50 yards. Without the dot on, I was able to keep the shots within about a plate-sized group at the same distance (a bigger problem was actually POI was different, since I can't adjust the tube and dot), co-witnessing the dot's tube with the front blade. I shoot all buckshot (and birdshot practice loads) without the dot on, as it is plenty accurate within those ranges, and so I will be used to shooting without the dot if I ever need the gun in an emergency.

I really want an Aimpoint, though...

PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2010 9:44 am 
Tournament Grade

This is from Marbles. Shotgun bead installation, look at the bottom paragraph about chamfering the threaded hole. This may solve the mis-alignment issue.

http://www.marblearms.com/shotgunBeads_info.html

brad.

brad@stleathercraft.com
brad@mossbergowners.com

PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2010 12:06 pm 
Tournament Grade

A tool company keeps sending me drill bit templets that's made of black plastic. I used a sanding bit in a drymel tool to make it thinner then I drilled a hole and cut out a rectangle piece. I used blue lock tight. It worked perfect.