CalendarCalendar   Photos  * FAQ
It is currently Sat Aug 23, 2014 6:25 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Traditions Shotguns
PostPosted: Sat Mar 13, 2010 9:15 pm 
Tournament Grade

Stopped at a Gander Mountain on the way home today and noticed a Traditions O/U sporting clays edition. Seemed like a nice gun, used, for pretty cheap.

Anybody have/heard of these guns? Up until today I had never heard of them. Its a nice looking gun and seems smooth.

Its odd because I was admiring the Traditions Hawkeye muzzle loader at scheels about an hour before.

Thanks,
Ryan

P.S. I searched this site from my phone in the store and found one thread about a traditions shotgun. The posters where talking about buying this gun from wal-mart. Reviews seemed decent but not real in depth or thorough.

Post subject: Re: Traditions Shotguns
PostPosted: Sat Mar 13, 2010 9:32 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Made by Fausti. Not at the standard of Beretta or Browning, but better than the Baikals and Khans.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 13, 2010 9:40 pm 
Tournament Grade

I hate to disagree, but an article in a recent gun magazine article. The writer put them right up on par. With the Beretta, Browning, Ruger and your other guns in that price range. They are very well made and are nice handling guns. For me and a few of friends they are anyway........Bob

Hunting With My Brittany Is Like Watching Poetry In Motion.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 13, 2010 9:46 pm 
Field Grade

I just purchased one, used, in 20 gauge and it is really well put together, the fit and finish seems top notch. no machine marks and the action is tight but smooth. it shoots well.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 13, 2010 9:51 pm 
Tournament Grade

classacthollow wrote:
I just purchased one, used, in 20 gauge and it is really well put together, the fit and finish seems top notch. no machine marks and the action is tight but smooth. it shoots well.

I have been scouring the internet and the only thing bad I have heard about these guns in they have alot of trigger pull. How is yours? This will be my first O/U and my first clay bird only gun.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 13, 2010 10:02 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

bobeyerite wrote:
but an article in a recent gun magazine article.

Never, EVER trust what you read in gun magazines... their livelihood depends on the ability to review guns, so they have to review them positively. When is the last time you read "stay away from this gun, it's a piece of junk"? I'm not saying that the Fausti is junk, but the price point guns they have imported into the US are no where near the standard of Browning or Beretta... that's simple fact.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 13, 2010 10:21 pm 
Field Grade

the trigger pull is firm but not a lot of creep or take up. satisfactory for a shotgun. it is probably around 7 lbs. I don't have a scale so I am only guessing. doesn't feel gritty. I had to get it out and find my snap caps to write this.
I'm not a doctor or a lawyer so it fit my budget and am pleased with what I received for the amount of money spent. If I'm ever blessed with the cash flow to spend whatever I wanted It might not have been my first choice, but I am still proud to display it in my gun rack.
:)

PostPosted: Sun Mar 14, 2010 5:50 am 
Presentation Grade

I picked up a used Tradiions O/U on Gun Broker for a YERY good price to use as a back up / brother in law gun. To date it has been a good solid performer, handles well and has been problem free. To say it's been built to a "price point"? Yes it has but it was built in the same factory on the same machines by the same people that produce Fausti's higher priced guns. That can't hurt.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 14, 2010 10:01 am 
Diamond Grade

drsfmd wrote:
bobeyerite wrote:
but an article in a recent gun magazine article.

Never, EVER trust what you read in gun magazines... their livelihood depends on the ability to review guns, so they have to review them positively. When is the last time you read "stay away from this gun, it's a piece of junk"? I'm not saying that the Fausti is junk, but the price point guns they have imported into the US are no where near the standard of Browning or Beretta... that's simple fact.

Truer words were never spoken. That is why I don't bother to read shotgun magazines.

I happen to own one of those "price point" shotguns made by Fausti, purchased from CDNN and while my son can certainly break clays with it, it is still a piece of junk. It is a top lock action and it shot loose in the first year of use. Discovered than no one would honor any warranty and ended up sending it back to the new Fausti USA for repair. They fixed it and it lasted all of 300 shots before it became just as loose as it was when I sent it back. Sent it back again and they "fixed" it at no charge.... which lasted for about 150 shots. Now it is once again about as loose as it was. The shotgun cost under $500.00 and it has just about served it's purpose, but it still sucks that it was only good for 10,000 shots or so.

Based upon the "service" I got from Fausti and the overall poor quality of this shotgun, I seriously doubt I will be giving Fausti another look.

"The fact that an opinion has been widely held is no evidence that it is not utterly absurd; indeed in view of the silliness of the majority of mankind, a widespread belief is more often likely to be foolish than sensible."

Bertrand Russell

PostPosted: Sun Mar 14, 2010 7:03 pm 
Utility Grade

Bought one for my dad for Christmas. He had shot my Weatherby a few times and decided that he liked an o/u. It seems to shoot where you point it, but the other posters are correct: It has the stiffest dang trigger of any gun I've ever shot! The break-down action is also incredibly stiff, but I'm sure that it will loosen over time.

When you lay it beside the Weatherby, you can definitely tell that it isn't quiet as nice a gun, but for the money, I think it's a good buy. My dad is very happy with it, and that's what counts.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 14, 2010 9:26 pm 
Tournament Grade

Ive owned one in 20 ga for a few years. I also own Berettas, Fabarms, and better Faustis. All you have read is correct. The trigger works but stinks in comparison to the others mentioned. Its going to get loose...just look at the surface area that locks the action. Mine is well regulated and does balance and point well. I bought it as a dove / quail gun for my daughter when she was born. If she wants to shoot clays a few years down the road she will have a better gun for that. Better guns for clays are out there for the same price...example... I sold a Fabarm Gamma 2 for $700 just yesterday. The traditions is a great little gun to own for fun shooting or field work, but it may be a gamble as a solid clays gun. Good luck

PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2010 5:35 pm 
Tournament Grade

Alright thanks guys.

I think I am just gonna keep looking then. Whatever I get is gonna take a beating this summer and needs to hold up. I got my benelli in june of last year and just put cases and cases of shells through it.

I kinda figured ya get what ya pay for but it was worth looking into anyway.

Thanks again
ryan

PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2010 4:46 pm 
Field Grade

I own a Fausti Traditions 20 gage o/u, Pheasants Forever engraved model. The gun has been shot about 200 times and the only issue I (actually my son) has ever had is trapping the trigger. That happens when you do not let the trigger out all the way after the first shot and then the seond barrel does not fire. It only happens to my son and only when he gets a little excited about trying to shot the clay being thrown. It's still a little tight to open, however most shotguns I've handled are like that when new. Great engraving, nice handling and in my opnion, a great gun. I would not pass one by if you like it. I know a few people seem to have had bad experiences with a Fausti, however may I point out I can find the same amout of people who have had a bad experience with a "B" gun or others. I suggest you go handle one and make a decision after that.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2010 6:27 pm 
Crown Grade

I have to agree with Doc and Scotty, here's why. A Beretta or Browning basic level shotgun would probably cost about $500 to build and market IF they were to scrimp on the finishing. Basically, before all the extra work goes into the Brownings and Berettas, they are the same quality as the Fausti. They are basically all made by the same process and by CNC mechinery. However, the final fitting and polishing tends to make a great difference. Fitting individual pieces precisely can and does avoid problems like Scotty mentioned. And as far as the trigger is concerned, how much does a good trigger job cost? That has to be added in. As well as all the rest of the fittings and finish.

Here's another example. Spanish doubles are pretty good copies of the famed English Game Guns. Some, right down to the engraving. In fact, the British Game Gun actually evolved from Spanish barrels. But I digress. The Spanish gun is every bit as good as the English gun (before the transition to O/Us, Spanish guns were more popular [numerous?]) in England than English guns. The reason behind this was that when buying a good quality Spanish gun, you were basically getting a gun that was 95 to 98% as good as the English gun for 1/4 the price. One of the reasons for this is that the Spanish believe that at that point the gun is "good enough" and considered finished (cheaper labor being the other). The English, on the other hand, will take the gun to the next step, which consumes more man hours and thus costs more. That last five percent is much more expensive than the first 95%.

Frank

PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2010 8:57 pm 
Diamond Grade

I also agree with drsfmd about gun reviews. Who do you think benefits more from that "good" review? As far as price point guns I will say this. For light use which would be most hunting (upland) guns will last even being of lesser quality. But for high volume shooting, there is a reason target guns cost what they do. They are built to withstand pounding 20-30K rounds before rebuilds and still last a lifetime if properly cared for (rebuilt and tuned up, just like your car needs new spark plugs every 30K miles).

NSCA # 606314
682 Gold E sporting
687 EELL 20/28 GA
391 Gold sporting
870 wingmaster

PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2010 7:41 pm 
Tournament Grade

Thanks again guys, any O/U I get is going to take a pounding. 98% of my shooting is at clays. Even when I find somebody/somewhere to hunt with I will use my benelli. So looks like a higher end shotgun. Particular to the Ruger Red labels.

Ryan

PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2010 6:41 am 
Field Grade

Just picked up a 20ga field hunter for $350. I can't find a scratch on it. I've owned 2 of these in the past, a 28ga field II and a 12ga field III. Good guns for the money, and at a price where you can take it into the brush without cringing.

PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2010 7:32 pm 
Field Grade

I owned one and shot no less than 5000 rounds at the skeet field with no issues. I'm a big browning fan and all I can say is it never failed me in any way. It is what is I consider it a great value. They make a lot of high end guns as well. The bigger issue with them like any cheap gun it will always be a cheap gun and may be a little difficult to flip when you move on. I would be more inclined to buy a known used commodity for that very reason.

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2010 8:56 pm 
Presentation Grade

My dad had a Field Gold III. It was the one with a Greener crossbolt. Maybe they all have it?

He paid quite a bit for it, then much later I saw them being blown out in a CDNN catalog.

Anyway, I was with him every time he fired it, either at the clays range or duck hunting. The pros were that it looked really nice despite some interior machining marks, with good bluing and decent wood. It was robust and stood up to a high round count, including many heavy 3" waterfowl loads

The cons were a trigger that had an enormous amount of creep, was too heavy, and the bottom barrel sometimes failed to eject once in a while, which was problematic when duck hunting. The chokes had no indication of constriction other than coded cuts in the end, so he replaced them with some extended Carlsons that were easier to use. The location of the barrel selector was odd, but not a problem.

He sold it a two years ago after my wife and I went all out on a gift and bought him a Beretta 686 we got a great deal on.

I think the Fausti's are pretty nice guns, getting a person into an Italian shotgun for a fraction the cost of a Beretta or Browning. Those two companies certainly best the Fausti my dad had, but that doesn't take away from what they are.

I should add that he was routinely complimented on its appearance, which is always nice.

Brent