CalendarCalendar   Photos  * FAQ
It is currently Thu Dec 18, 2014 11:38 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: barrel bulge
PostPosted: Sun Mar 14, 2010 1:05 am 
Field Grade

I just picked up a really nice win. model 50 for super cheap. It is in near perfect condition, the breech was full of something resembling lint material, so I think it was someones closet queen. The reason it was so cheap is because there is a very slight bulge about 1" from the end of the muzzle. I assume this is a fairly simple fix but I would like to know if the barrel can be fixed, then threaded for choke tubes and what would the ballpark cost of this be. also would this make it steel shot safe. ANY INFO WOULD BE GREAT.

Post subject: Re: barrel bulge
PostPosted: Sun Mar 14, 2010 11:16 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

The bulge can't be fixed. If you wanted to add chokes, you'd have to cut the barrel back behind the bulge, and if there's enough meat, someone could install tubes.

No comment on steel shot, other than to say that I wouldn't do it...

PostPosted: Sun Mar 14, 2010 1:17 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Didn't that model have a fiberglass barrel with a steel sleeve?

PostPosted: Sun Mar 14, 2010 1:31 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Ev-- That's the model 59 you are thinking of. I beleive the internal parts of both are interchangable...

PostPosted: Sun Mar 14, 2010 11:22 pm 
Field Grade

does any one know how long the choke is in the model 50 barrel. If i had 3/4" cut off the bulge would be gone, any idea what I.D. of the barrel would be as far as choke is concerned with that much removed.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 14, 2010 11:55 pm 
Gunsmith
Gunsmith

As far as I am concerned, if a barrel has a minor bulge in the choke section, still has some existing choke present that must be removed for a choke tube installation, and once that is completed- does not show any internal ring below grade, there is probably little chance of metal problems with a choke hole since the tube is primarily responsible for it's own strength.

The tube should not depend on a large amount of support from the barrel (even though it provides all of the retention), but this is my opinion based upon when I install my own custom chokes and barrel threads.
I can personally ensure that the metal remaining is not very thin (especially if a plain barrel needs bead retention) and that the portion of metal used for the threads also includes some of the un-bulged metal area.

Some barrel steels may be more susceptible to cracking when expanded a large amount, but no barrel is expected to crack if expanded a slight amount, or else the metal and heat treatment were a sub-grade choice for barrel construction.

Barrels had been expanded for choke tube installation in the old days when Winchoke was the only basic game in town for almost all shops before custom and aftermarket chokes became commonplace. An expansion is a twin to a minor bulge and only differs in the speed and concentricity of formation.
A bulge may be more lopsided at a thinner section of a barrel but will not be always easily/visibly noticed. Always the potential for exceptions to alter the typical conclusion.

I never saw an expanded choke installation that was properly done have choke hole separation from the barrel or any other mechanical issues present. Choke hole problems come from installing a choke offset/crooked or leaving one side of the barrel (or all of the barrel) too thin by squeezing a choke in that was too fat for the barrel.

That is why I only do custom choke installations or precision factory replacements, since I will not be a party to installing or encouraging the use of aftermarket choke installations done with tooling that has some versions of dubious design. I won't be accused or blamed for something I've never done, ever, unless it is an accusation caused by a mental issue.

kirbythegunsmith@hotmail.com

Article 3 pictures improper or dangerous choke installations, article 1 has explanatory illustrations, and article 2 has info. about bore/forcing cone improvements/limitations.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2010 8:34 am 
Presentation Grade

Have a used barrel F/S. 28" full choke good condition. $250 plus $15 shipping.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 20, 2010 6:43 pm 
Crown Grade

Location: somewhere east of the I-95 corridor, until you get to connecticut. but you can bank on vanzant, mo..
i think your question was, if you cut out the damage, what would you have left?
if thats what you were asking, once you cut off that 3/4" to 1"....youll have a cyl bore.