CalendarCalendar   Photos  * FAQ
It is currently Fri Oct 24, 2014 6:53 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: American Gun company victor single shot? Any info??
PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2010 3:54 am 
Utility Grade

I recently acquired a single shot 12 gauge branded AMERICAN GUN CO. NEW YORK and also says VICTOR above the brand. The barrel is stamped genuine armory steel. Its serial number is 454737 is there anyway to date this shotgun? I know its probably not worth more than $50. Also in good condition is this shotgun safe to shoot at all? Any help on this would be great, thanks in advance.

Post subject: Re: American Gun company victor single shot? Any info??
PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2010 5:32 am 
Tournament Grade

My father in law has one. Made from the late 1800's to around 1937 I think. I took his to a gunsmith and he said it was safe to shoot. I would recommend the same to you.

Dating them can be difficult as Cresent Arms records were largely destroyed during paper drives during WWII is what we found on the internet anyway.

This one was bought new for my Father in laws uncle. It was his first shotgun. The uncle always claimed he got the gun for his birthday in 1919, but that is all we have to go on.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2010 12:52 pm 
Crown Grade

American Gun Co. and Crescent Fire Arms Co. guns were built and marketted by H&D Folsom Arms Co. of New York. These same guns were also sold to other Jobbers/wholesalers/dealers under scores of different "trade names." The gun factory in Norwich, Conn. was founded in 1892 as Crescent Fire Arms Co., but by 1893 H&D Folsom Arms Co. owned the controling interest in the factory and from then on the factory's mission was to build whatever H&D Folsom wanted or had orders for. After 1919 when H&D Folsom bought out the Baker Gun Co. part of the Baker Gun & Forging Co. of Batavia, New York, Folsom also assembled the Bakers they marketted, at the factory in Norwich. In 1930 H&D Folsom sold the Crescent Fire Arms Co. to Savage Arms Corp. of Utica, NY. Savage combined Crescent with their recently acquired Davis-Warner Arms Co. and formed a new company, Crescent-Davis Arms Co. By 1931 Crescent-Davis had out lines of both Crescent and Davis shotguns. Crescent-Davis lasted until 1935, when Savage disolved the corporation and the remains went to the Savage-owned J. Stevens Arms Co. plant at Chicopee Falls, Mass., and was marketted in the backs of their catalogues as an, even cheaper then their Springfield, line of shotguns until WW-II.

Here is a Victor from H&D Folsom Arms Co. Catalogue No. 18 --

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2011 9:23 pm 
Utility Grade

Good Evening...

Just found your forum while researching the following.....

Victor American Gun Co New York stamped haphazardly

12 <> then a diamond shape like this turned 90 degrees with a dot in the middle of it.

408 On the trigger gaurd

It is a single shot breach loader. I understand take it to smith to make sure it's safe but would like to break it down for cleaning etc....I am a basic mechanical genius but at the same time I don't want to be surprised for the need of a specialty tool, and so the questions...

Is it advisable for a lay person to break one down?

Could you recommend cleaning agent(s) etc. for the metal and wood?

Any idea as to actual year of manufacture, and/or anything else you can tell me concerning this gun?

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2011 9:32 pm 
Crown Grade

Everyone else has told you who made your gun and who sold it. I will tell you that it was made in 1918 and was designed for 2 1/2 shells loaded with black powder or early low pressure smokeless powder and lead shot. It was not designed for 3 inch or magnum shells or steel shot. Before attempting to shoot it, have it checked out by a good competent gunsmith.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2011 12:15 am 
Utility Grade

Ned.....

Thanks....That's one old gun. Found it in a garage in Southern California. Haven't done anything but rub a little cooking oil on it to bring out the stamp, and open and close it a couple times.

Best guess is it will find it's way to a wall but I really don't have a desire to have a non-working gun. I was figuring to fire it using about a 50 feet of string and a pulley to get me around the corner of the house after cleaning.

The pivot pin is still VERY tight. No unusual movement at all. However, the latch seems to allow just the slightest of movement between the barrel and the firing mechanism. Maybe one degree of motion, maybe less.

Can certainly understand the need for lead rather steel shot, and low compression powder in a barrel that old and maybe not the best steel to begin with.

thanks again

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2011 10:03 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Tinnerman wrote:
I really don't have a desire to have a non-working gun.

Then maybe the best thing to do would be to take a sawsall, cut it into several pieces, and throw it in the garbage.

You couldn't pay me enough money to take the risk of putting a live shell in that gun and firing it.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2011 3:27 pm 
Utility Grade

Perhaps :D