CalendarCalendar   Photos  * FAQ
It is currently Wed Aug 27, 2014 5:50 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Is a Browning Citori a good buy?
PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2010 12:28 am 
Field Grade

I guess my first question is if a new Citori is a decent first O/U for the price?

I noticed that Cabela's has them on sale for $999. And I think there is still a $150 rebate on from Browning on shotgun shells too.

Post subject: Re: Is a Browning Citori a good buy?
PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2010 12:42 am 
Field Grade

I've not heard much bad about them, but the cheapest I see at cabelas is 1199

PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2010 12:44 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

The Browning Citori is an excellent gun; well made, good handling and durable. I have three; two used for skeet competition and one for sporting clays. If you take care of a Citori, it will outlast you.

Romans 8:1

PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2010 12:48 am 
Field Grade

bassopotamus wrote:

It was in a flyer I just got today. Says they were $1,199.99 for $999.99. Browning Citori, 12ga with 3 1/2" chamber and 28" barrel.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2010 1:01 am 
Field Grade

Billmanweh wrote:
bassopotamus wrote:

It was in a flyer I just got today. Says they were $1,199.99 for $999.99. Browning Citori, 12ga with 3 1/2" chamber and 28" barrel.

Heck, I'd jump on it at that. Only downside I see is that it is a satin finish stock, which I don't find aesthetically pleasing. If I had a spare grand, I'd jump on it though. That is a killer price

PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2010 1:03 am 
Field Grade

bassopotamus wrote:
Billmanweh wrote:
bassopotamus wrote:

Heck, I'd jump on it at that. Only downside I see is that it is a satin finish stock, which I don't find aesthetically pleasing. If I had a spare grand, I'd jump on it though. That is a killer price

And to get a $150 rebate on shells too...

PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2010 1:57 pm 
Diamond Grade

There are also some good prices on Brownings at www.cdnnsports.com.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2010 3:12 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Billmanweh wrote:
I guess my first question is if a new Citori is a decent first O/U for the price?

I noticed that Cabela's has them on sale for $999. And I think there is still a $150 rebate on from Browning on shotgun shells too.

Does a bear take a dump in the woods?

PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2010 4:00 pm 
Crown Grade

3 1/2" chamber and matte finish? Sounds like a waterfowl gun. Very, very few Citoris or O/Us in general have 3.5" chambers.

Citoris in 12 Gauge are bulky and heavy guns. I don't much care for them, but I spend my hunting time on my feet, mostly in the mountains. A >8 lb. upland gun is laughable in my book, and they don't point as naturally as lower-profile guns, at least until the Citori barrels hit the 30" mark -- and then it's WAY too heavy for anything but the range. (In 20 Gauge they scale down a lot, both in height and weight; they point better, carry better, and IMO even look more balanced aesthetically. I'm talking about 12, but that's what you're asking about.)

They are well-known for durability, although the lockup that Browning uses (as do others) is a fine little crud collector.

The Citori makes a good American Trap gun, with long barrels on it. This isn't a Trap gun.

If it fits you, and you don't mind the weight, it's a well-made gun. Just keep your head: $1000 isn't free, and if it's not the right gun for you, don't buy it, as with anything else.

That's what it's always about: not, "Is it a good deal?" but "Is it a good way for ME to spend a grand?"

Good luck, and may your future be filled with many nice days spent shooting fine O/Us, either way. :)

PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2010 7:38 pm 
Field Grade

BarryD wrote:
3 1/2" chamber and matte finish? Sounds like a waterfowl gun. Very, very few Citoris or O/Us in general have 3.5" chambers.

This is the model in the Cabela's flyer;

PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2010 8:02 pm 
Limited Edition

If I wanted a first over and under for hunting and clay sports, then I would be all over that deal.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2010 8:05 pm 
Tournament Grade

Is the Pope Catholic? :shock:

PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2010 8:19 pm 
Crown Grade

How can you go wrong with a new Browning for $1000. Get it.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2010 8:33 pm 
Limited Edition

Sale starts tomorrow morning. I will be at Cabela's front door with 10 Franklins in my hand.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2010 9:13 pm 
Field Grade

Der Verge wrote:
Sale starts tomorrow morning. I will be at Cabela's front door with 10 Franklins in my hand.

do you know about the Browning rebate on shotguns shells?

PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2010 10:23 pm 
Crown Grade

Maybe it's not true where you guys are, but I've seen some deals on all sorts of shotguns, including some Sporting models.

True, they weren't a grand, but for a few hundred bucks more you can get something that's a really great clays gun if that's what you want.

CDNN has some deals. But I've seen some at local sporting goods stores, Cabela's, etc., in the store, too. I've seen Citoris around here for $1000 in a couple of places, and I've passed them up (after confirming what I already knew by swinging them). I used the money to take advantage of the OTHER deals, and there have been a fair number -- including deals on Brownings and Berettas. I'm not talking about cheap Turkish guns here.

Go to Cabela's in the morning, but take a look around before you look only at this particular waterfowler. You might be surprised at what else you find for $1500 or less right now.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2010 12:44 am 
Diamond Grade

That picture and the ad doesn't say much, sometimes stores use stock photos in their ads so be sure to check exactly what version of Citori this gun is. Overall though $999 plus $150 in shells (if the rebate is still being offered) is a pretty good deal for any Citori.
After all Citori's are quality made guns that have been proven over many years of use.

It all just boils down to, is this version of the Citori right for your intended purposes?
Will it work of for casual clay target games? You bet. Duck and goose hunting? No problem. Upland game hunting? They have been used for this for decades. Are they the absolute best gun for every one of the uses above? Probably not, but it depends on the individual.

If the gun weighs the same as standard Citori Field grade, I wouldn't let the 3.5 in chamber bother you, as it has no effect on shooting shorter 2 3/4" or 3" shells. One other good thing is, if the gun absolutely does not work out for you, you can probably get almost all your money back out of it. Just check on Gunbroker and look at the prices they are trying to get for very used Citori Field grades!

Let us know how you decide, its always exciting when someone gets a new gun :D .

Jeff

PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2010 12:59 am 
Tournament Grade

I bought a Citori Satin Lightning chambered in 3.5 inch 12 gauge about two years ago as my first O/U. Really liked it til I got to lookin at a Citori 625. Sold the satin lightning and bought the 625. Then I got to likin the Beretta Silver Pigeon II. Bought one of those, actually bought two of those one in 12 and one in 20 gauge and kept my Citori 625 ta boot. It's a sickness I tell ya... :lol:

PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2010 12:26 pm 
Tournament Grade

The Browning Citori is a great gun and very customizable. That's what I would look for in a gun, how I can tweak it to fit my every need. I would have bought a BC had I not have bought my Beretta EELL already.

20-.410

PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2010 1:04 pm 
Diamond Grade

claydoctor wrote:
There are also some good prices on Brownings at http://www.cdnnsports.com.

That web sight is for "firearm accessories only". No firearms ...