CalendarCalendar   Photos  * FAQ
It is currently Sat Dec 20, 2014 11:43 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Best Buckshot for Coyote!!
PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2010 11:58 am 
Utility Grade

What is the best type of buckshot to use for coyotes? I know there is the Dead Coyote load, but I cannot justify spending $35 on ammo if the is a viable substitute out there. I have a 12 ga Mossberg Mav 88. What type of loads are you guys using out there?

Thanks for any input!

Post subject: Re: Best Buckshot for Coyote!!
PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2010 2:10 pm 
Limited Edition

ach224 wrote:
What is the best type of buckshot to use for coyotes? I know there is the Dead Coyote load, but I cannot justify spending $35 on ammo if the is a viable substitute out there. I have a 12 ga Mossberg Mav 88. What type of loads are you guys using out there?

Thanks for any input!
Federal® Vital Shok® 3" Mag 41pellets of #4 Buck; (#P158-4).

2. The American Soldier, Sailor, Airman, & Marine
One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

1 Cross + 3 Nails = 4 Given

PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2010 2:20 pm 
Tournament Grade

you just opened up a huge can of worms: expect about 50 or so replies if this goes like the 100 or so other "what ammo for coyote hunting" threads have gone... this is all based on personal preference... i use a Remington 870 express magnum when i hunt coyotes. i use a Winchester High Brass, 1 1/8 oz #4 shot. This has stopped them every time right in their foot tracks: just look at my avatar for proof :D

PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2010 11:37 pm 
Limited Edition

Steel waterfowl shot in T size.

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2010 5:44 pm 
Diamond Grade

What about some of that Hornady coyte shot; look it up on there site they got videos.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 04, 2010 10:23 pm 
Field Grade

McDerry wrote:
Steel waterfowl shot in T size.

Why in the heck would you ever want to shoot steel shot at a coyote? That's like having a machine gun and a slingshot in the truck with you, and you deciding to bring the slingshot to a street fight.

I can't imagine you'd get too many arguments against number 4 (LEAD) buckshot (if you're shooting a 12 gauge...number 4's and 00 seem to be the most common buck loads you can find, and you can sometimes find number 1's). Only one or two pellets would be enough to kill one of them if you hit them in the right spot, and you'll have upwards of 40 pellets (give or take a few depending on length, etc.) so you're throwing a lot of lead.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 10, 2010 3:13 am 
Field Grade

pattern master ext range choke tube (one for 3" shells) and hevishot dead coyote 00 buckshot cant be beat up to 80 yards. the shells are a little high but once you have them you wont get anything else.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 10, 2010 10:10 am 
Presentation Grade

Most hound hunters I have ever known use no. 4 buck out of a modified choke. In my time as a warden checked maybe a hundred or so, and like Ivory soap 99.4% used no. 4 buck. I used no 4 buck when doing the distasteful job of shooting dogs chasing deer tot and it was very effective.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2010 7:21 am 
Crown Grade

I am not a coyote hunter. The only one I ever killed was with #6 hunting pheasant. I have been shooting & reloading buckshot for about 50 years. All things being equil, I tend to go with the #4 buckshot crowd. However, only the pellets that land on the coyote count. If your shotgun doesn't pattern #4 buck worth a hoot but you can cover 6 or 8 pellet holes from a 60 yd. pattern of "OO" (or whatever) with one hand, shoot "OO"! I would use a rifle for the longer shots.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2010 1:37 am 
ID & Value Expert
ID & Value Expert

IMHO, spend the bucks for the Dead Coyote. It produces one shot kills for us every time. #4 lead is OK but it does not work like Hevishot's best.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 17, 2010 9:07 pm 
Field Grade

i couldnt agree with A5guy anymore.i have bitten the bullet and shoot hevishot weither it be turkey or dead coyote 00 buck and it cant be beat (ever imo). i have 5 guns equiped with patternmaster chokes and shoot 00 buck in hevishot (called dead coyote) and i can kill every deer and coyote DEAD in the clear at 90 yards EVERYTIME. i have spent a lot of money trying this and that but this combo has beat evrything hands down and now i dont have to try this shell or that shell (wasting money).TAKE THE LEAP and you wont regret it. the reson it is so high is because a 7# bag of 00 buck in hevishot is 250 dollars compared to 40 dollars for 8# of copper plated or lead 00 buckshot.a 7# bag of hevishot (turkey shot) is 150 dollars compared to 40 dollars for 25# bag of lead or copper plated. but once you see the patterns you will never go back. imo this is 1 case where you get what you pay for.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 17, 2010 10:55 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Depends on where and when you are hunting them.

I can tell you this, #4 buck is not what I would use on heavily furred dogs in CO, in the winter time.

I rolled a number of them and they got up and ran on again. (They were running away when shot, some at less than 15 yards.)

Those that I then used a rifle on, (no running away there), had #4 buck shot, flattened out to dime or larger size, and wound up in the heavy fur, so bad that they never even broke the skin! Wads of fur and lead, the size of 50 cent pieces.

Only real damage was the bruising, noticeable after skinning.

Double ought put them down for keeps.

I am sure #4 buck would work just fine in other locals and climates.

NRA Benefactor

PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2010 5:47 pm 
Presentation Grade

Hard to believe that your clime is any colder than Wisconsin, might be windier on the prairie. I've checked coyotes in the the fur warehouses numbering in the thousands when I was still working. Western coyotes were worth more than those from Minn. and Wis. because of coloration not because they were more heavily furred.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2014 11:52 am 
Utility Grade

up here in canada furr's are thick and where im at there even mixed in with a bit of wolf... ive never even heard of poeple shooting at them with less than 00buck, hell.... i use 000 when im not using a rifle

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2014 10:55 am 
Utility Grade

I do not care how much fur thy have you drift a yoye up along side the head with #4 buck shot .thy stay down every time .I have shot many of them in are controlled deer hunt with shotguns and sabot slugs sure make a mess out of off them as well .Dutch

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2014 7:17 am 
Utility Grade

Number 4 buck gets my vote.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2014 3:40 am 
Shooting Instructor
Shooting Instructor

"maggie"

That is quite a performance report!
Can you provide some 90 yard pattern test results?

maggie wrote:
i couldnt agree with A5guy anymore.i have bitten the bullet and shoot hevishot weither it be turkey or dead coyote 00 buck and it cant be beat (ever imo). i have 5 guns equiped with patternmaster chokes and shoot 00 buck in hevishot (called dead coyote) and i can kill every deer and coyote DEAD in the clear at 90 yards EVERYTIME. i have spent a lot of money trying this and that but this combo has beat evrything hands down and now i dont have to try this shell or that shell (wasting money).TAKE THE LEAP and you wont regret it. the reson it is so high is because a 7# bag of 00 buck in hevishot is 250 dollars compared to 40 dollars for 8# of copper plated or lead 00 buckshot.a 7# bag of hevishot (turkey shot) is 150 dollars compared to 40 dollars for 25# bag of lead or copper plated. but once you see the patterns you will never go back. imo this is 1 case where you get what you pay for.