CalendarCalendar   Photos  * FAQ
It is currently Thu Jul 31, 2014 4:38 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Rem 870 Home Defense Build
PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2010 8:56 am 
Utility Grade

Hi everyone.

Great site! I have been lurking for awhile, but I have run into a stumbling block. I have a Rem 870 12ga that I have been converting to a home defense/tactical play gun. I bought a 18.5" barrel with bead site and the Knoxx recoil reducing, collapable stock. Now all my shots are high and to the right. Plus, I really have to "force" my head into the stock to get a decent sight picture. So my thoughts are i would like to put some real sights on it. I have looked at the Vang Comp Sys sights, but $198 for JUST the rear is a little steep. I do really like the rail though so I could throw on a red dot down the road. Anyone have any more suggestions? I just don't want to break the bank here... too many other toys needed!

Thanks all!!

Post subject: Re: Rem 870 Home Defense Build
PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2010 9:02 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

You could dump the knoxx.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2010 9:32 am 
Presentation Grade

Your shots are high because you can't get your eye down parallel to the top of the receiver due to the strait design of the knoxx stock.

Your options are as follows:
1) Get some sort of raised sight system (red dot or perhaps ghost-rings).
2) Remove the knoxx stock.
3) Learn to how to use the gun as-is. I wouldn't go this route because unless you practice a LOT like this, in a real defensive situation you will probably forget to adjust and possibly end up shooting over the BG's head.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2010 10:51 am 
Utility Grade

That's what I figured. I am looking for sight alternatives besides Vang Comp. They are super nice, but super expensive.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2010 11:05 am 
Presentation Grade

It is going to be hard to get good aftermarket Ghost-rings with a quality install on a tight budget.

You could get one of the hidden-gem red-dots, like the Konus dot or the Millet models, both of which can be had for about $90 or a bit less. They both seem to have pretty good dots, decent battery life (my Millet will last 2-3 weeks on middle settings, which are bright enough for anything except shooting into a bright background like bright tan grass on a sunny day) and, most importantly, the apparent ability to take 12g recoil unlike most budget dots.

However, since you are making an HD weapon, you don't want anything with switches or knobs to mess with while someone is crawling through your window. So, I'd recommend one of the simpler-to-install ghost-ring kits (don't require soldering to barrel), and simply having the receiver drilled and tapped (hell, you could just have it professionally drilled, and tap it yourself) for pretty cheap at any machine shop.

Something like this:
http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/pid=1950 ... _SIGHT_SET

PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2010 12:04 pm 
Utility Grade

Well my goal was to have some sort of optic/red dot on it. I do want a backup sight system since my luck is the way it is. Drilling and tapping the receiver isn't an issue for me. The front post is the one I worry about. I looked at the banded front sights, they just bother me for some reason. I suppose I will just have to suck it up. I could mount the rear sight, get a slim profile rail to mount infront of the rear sight and then mount the front band. That would definately work. I am about 2/3 of the way to 3 gun shoots....YEAH!!!

Anyone know what sights are on the Benelli M4? I love those ghost rings!

PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2010 12:09 pm 
Presentation Grade

I don't know specifically how those mount, but you might consider drilling and tapping a hole on either side of the band, and then drilling partially through the muzzle in the same spots. Thread some small screws through the tapped holes in the band, and snug them against the barrel so you know the band can't rotate or slide off. I hope that makes sense.

Im not sure I understand what you were saying about adding the rail in front of the rear sight. Were you talking about simply adding a front blade in front of the dot? That would work as a very (very) coarse ghost-ring setup, I suppose, heh.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2010 1:04 pm 
Utility Grade

This rear sight (http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/pid=1950 ... _SIGHT_SET) with a rail mounted on the receiver in front of the rear sight would be similar to the Vang Comp sight.

As for the front bead sight, I will be taking that completely off and either installing a band ghost sight or maybe I could mount the SX front site on...

http://www.brianenos.com/forums/index.p ... opic=96928

PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2010 11:45 pm 
Tournament Grade

You could also install the Knoxx Power Pack to the stock and use either the low or high piece to give you a better cheek weld (they are included with the power pack). The high cheek piece is perfect if you add a Reflex sight. I'm not sure how much the low cheek piece raises off of the standard stock though... it might give you a 1/4" or so.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 20, 2010 12:01 am 
Presentation Grade

His problem is that the cheek weld is already too high without any addons.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 20, 2010 1:11 am 
Tournament Grade

JMcDonald wrote:
His problem is that the cheek weld is already too high without any addons.

Opps... read that wrong. Never mind :roll:

PostPosted: Sat Mar 20, 2010 8:20 am 
Presentation Grade

Yes, but try to see if you can't at least measure the height above the barrel, and then perhaps tape something on the barrel of your weapon of the same height to make sure you can actually use them with your current cheek weld. I'm sure you'd hate to spend the money for a new barrel only to end up in te same situation.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 21, 2010 10:44 am 
Utility Grade

Thanks everyone for all the comments. I do have the PowerPak and am using the medium cheek weld. I have tried it willout the cheekweld to see if that was it, but it was the same. The angle of the Knoxx stock is just not conducive to the bead sights. I have looked at military/police models that use this stock and they all have ghost ring sights from Remington. Now I know why. The only thing I can do is either try to find a new barrel (which I hate to do since I just bought this barrel) or spend the money on ghost sights. I looked at a brand new Benelli M4 this weekend and the ghost sights on it are perfect; LDA rear sight with picatiny rail. Not sure what front sight it was, but I will figure it out. Now I just need to find a gunsmith who can silver solder and reparkerize.

Yep, there goes my budget restraint...

PostPosted: Sun Mar 21, 2010 12:11 pm 
Presentation Grade

Your budget was blown the minute you thought the two words "tactical" and "shotgun." :wink:

PostPosted: Sun Mar 21, 2010 1:33 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Quote:
I have a Rem 870 12ga that I have been converting to a home defense/tactical play gun.

Sounds like the emphasis is on tactical play gun. You don't need a knox stock, ghost ring sights, optics. or any of the other crap for a home defense shotgun.

Beware, tacticool is a word often associated with tactifools.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 21, 2010 1:51 pm 
Presentation Grade

JoenPB wrote:
Quote:
I have a Rem 870 12ga that I have been converting to a home defense/tactical play gun.

Sounds like the emphasis is on tactical play gun. You don't need a knox stock, ghost ring sights, optics. or any of the other crap for a home defense shotgun.

Beware, tacticool guns are often attached to tactifools.

What is "tactifoolish" about the ability to place accurate shots on a threat in an HD scenario--which can plausibly extend to further ranges such as out in the front / back yards, or even out into the street? What is "tactifoolish" about a piece of equipment (Knoxx Stock) which not only allows for more control of the weapon under recoil faster follow-up shots, but will give him the comfort needed to practice much more regularly and thus gain more proficiency with the weapon?

I'd say all the things we are discussing or which he already has on his weapon do at least have some realistic justification beyond simply being "tacticool," no?

PostPosted: Sun Mar 21, 2010 2:02 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

His stock doesn't fit correctly, so instead of putting the original on to see if it fits better and shoots where his POA is, he adds more junk, ie optics and hopes it will. Not good.

And before you start shooting into the street, best make sure of your local laws. :wink:

PostPosted: Sun Mar 21, 2010 4:08 pm 
Presentation Grade

Ok, I see what you mean. Often, yes, adding more after-market stuff to make up for current aftermarket items that aren't working doesn't seem sound.

And, if I were in my home with loved ones and someone in the street was ventilating my walls, you can bet I (and most on this board) would return fire if immediate and guaranteed security was not possible.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2010 10:14 am 
Utility Grade

Wow, how quickly this forum takes a dump to the negative.

Yes, the stock stock shoots fine. Why wouldn't it it. The Knoxx stock doesn't hence the problem. The adjustability of the Knoxx stock makes it much easier for anyone in my family to use it without having to change stocks. Also, the adjustability of the Knoxx stock is much more comfortable and familiar as it is closer to the M4 stock which I shoot more regularly. Now with shooting 3 gun and scattergun competitions, you can understand where the "tactical play gun" comes in.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2010 10:27 am 
Presentation Grade

And yes, that said, I wouldn't say you should take off the knoxx stock, as its advantages to you obviously outweigh the slight hindrance of needing higher optics.