CalendarCalendar   Photos  * FAQ
It is currently Wed Oct 01, 2014 7:14 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Citori built 1974 value
PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2010 11:49 pm 
Utility Grade

looking at a citori 12 gauge 28" barrels ( ventilated) built in 1974....asking price is $850...is this a fair price ,bore looks new and guns is tight , only some minor scratches noted.

Post subject: Re: Citori built 1974 value
PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2010 4:56 am 
Presentation Grade

Not to bad a price for an early Citori, however I have seen some pretty good deals on new ones lately, some around 1,000 dollars with 150.00 in shells courtesy Browning. I think there is a nice used one for sale in the classifieds here on SGW for 895.00 also.
Check out CDNN their prices are hard to beat. Shop around then buy the one you like,I doubt you'll ever regret buying a Browning, I haven't.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2010 7:46 am 
Utility Grade

thanks ...I have read that they built the early citoris stronger that the later models..., any truth in that and also would the fact the barrel is ventilated would add any value to it.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2010 2:10 pm 
Shooting Instructor
Shooting Instructor

bucanero wrote:
thanks ...I have read that they built the early citoris stronger that the later models..., any truth in that and also would the fact the barrel is ventilated would add any value to it.

I know of no design change that has weakened later model Citori shotguns. I think that is BS.

As far as I know, all Citori shotguns come with ventlated ribs. If you mean the barrel has had porting added, I would suggest the value is lessoned. At the low pressures shotguns operate at, very little effect is achieved by porting, save some extra noise. It more of a marketing ploy than anything else.

NAHC Life Member
VA State Shooting Association Life Member
NRA Certified Instructor in Rifle, Pi$tol, and Home Firearm Safety
NSSA Level I Instructor
NSSA Official Referee

PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2010 8:33 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

I assume that the gun has FIXED chokes. What are the chokes (full, modified, imp cyl, ect)????

What do you intend to use the gun for? If you want it for trap shooting and it has skeet chokes, it would not be a good choice...... and vice versa.

If you just want an O/U of decent/good quality in order to plink at tin cans, use for miscellaneous hunting, and etc, then this gun should work well for that except that at about 8 pounds weight, it would not be well suited for carrying for long periods of time.

Pricewise, it's just OK unless it suits your SPECIFIC needs. If it doesn't suit your specific needs, then keep looking til you find one that does. That's my 2 cents. :D

PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2010 9:20 pm 
Diamond Grade

Ulysses wrote:
I assume that the gun has FIXED chokes. What are the chokes (full, modified, imp cyl, ect)????

What do you intend to use the gun for? If you want it for trap shooting and it has skeet chokes, it would not be a good choice...... and vice versa.

If you just want an O/U of decent/good quality in order to plink at tin cans, use for miscellaneous hunting, and etc, then this gun should work well for that except that at about 8 pounds weight, it would not be well suited for carrying for long periods of time.

Pricewise, it's just OK unless it suits your SPECIFIC needs. If it doesn't suit your specific needs, then keep looking til you find one that does. That's my 2 cents. :D

+1 Here.

Jeff

PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2010 9:53 pm 
Diamond Grade

There was an excellent article on the Citori in the August 2008 issue of The Double Gun Journal, which I happen to have lying in front of me. In that article, they state that the first generation Citoris were made from 1973-1976. These guns made by Miroku were identical to the gun, which Miroku was already making for Charles Daly. It was not until 1977 when Browning came up with a re-design , that the guns became true Browning-designed guns. In 1983, the gun was re-designed again and according to the article that design continues in the present day guns.
I've never read anything suggesting that one generation of Citori is better built than another. About a year ago, I bought a mint 20Ga Citori skeet gun made in 1973. I paid $900 and thought I got a very good deal. It is a beautifully made gun.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2010 7:22 pm 
Diamond Grade

The first generation Citoris had an action designed to hit the primers dead-on, not obliquely as in most OUs. While the Charles Daly guns had a similar action, they used V springs, the Citori action was refined by the gunsmith Niettmier (spelling?) and use coil springs place vertically inside the action. If you remove the stock of an old Citori you cannot see the springs, you really have to search for them.

I have an early Citori, which I love, it is my favorite shotgun, more used than either of my "best" hand built doubles.

Stronger than later models? I do not know, but both old and new seem to be plenty strong enough. I do love the central firing pins though and prefer them to the oblique ones on most OUs. But that could be a prejudice from long familiarity with side by sides.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2010 9:12 pm 
Diamond Grade

Are parts still available??