CalendarCalendar   Photos  * FAQ
It is currently Sat Dec 20, 2014 7:55 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Stevens 94B single shot gun information needed
PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2010 7:53 am 
Tournament Grade

I'm sorry if this was already discussed, but search didn't show it...

I'm looking for the information on the following gun:

Stevens 94B 20 ga single barrel, single shot.
32" barrel. Wooden stock. Recoil pad is new addition.
On the barrel, stock and forend wood it stamped NL. Also on the barrel above NL is letter K.
On the left side of barrel - "Proof tested - 20 gauge" and "2 3/4 inch chamber"
On the right side of barrel - "Selected forged steel"
On the left side of receiver -

Springfield
manufactured by
JSTEVENS ARMS COMPANY
CHICOPEE FALLS, MASS USA

On the right from this something like #

On the left side of the reciever - "94B" and something else almost invisible

Here are my questions:
1. When (approximately) it was made?
2. What these markings means?

Respectfully
Dmitry

Post subject: Re: Stevens 94B single shot gun information needed
PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2010 6:00 pm 
Crown Grade

Let's see. They are mystery markings.
There is no way to tell when you gun was made since there is no serial number. The Stevens Model 94 was introduced in 1929 and had no serial numbers until 1968 when the Gun Control Act of 1968 required serial numbers on all guns. So your gun was made sometime between 1929 and 1968. The mark 94B is of course the model number of the gun, the 20 gauge is of course the gauge of the gun and the 2 3/4 is the chamber length, the Selected Forged Steel is Stevens term for the metal used in making the gun, There is no requirement for guns made in the United States to be proof tested but all the makers do it and mark their guns in various ways. As to the NLRP and #, I have no idea what they mean other than the are some makers marking. As for the recoil pad as you say it is an after market installation and will reduce the value of the gun to a collector but might increase it to a shooter. The value of the gun should run about $75 depending on condition.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2010 8:24 pm 
Tournament Grade

Thank you for this info!
I don't care how much this gun price is, and collectors value is not important eather, I will refinish it, it is a project gun. I like to buy old beaten one and restore it. It gives me a month or more of the fun time working with wood and metal.
This is my second Stevens, first is 311 double in 16 ga. I use it for pheasants time to time after restoring.

Speaking of markings, I hope that NL is a sort of indication of the year when gun was made. Like on the Germans Sayers and others.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2010 9:32 pm 
Crown Grade

Dimtry
As far as I know there is no way to tell when an old Stevens shotgun and especially an inexpensive single shot was made. However there is one source that might be able to answer your question. They charge a fee to research a question and sometimes the cost ($15.00) is more than the value of the gun. Here is the address:
J. Stevens Arms Company
Older Stevens Historical Research
Mr. John Callahan
53 Old Quarry Road
Westfield, MA 01085
I've never used them so I don't know how long it takes to get a response. Be sure to give all the information and markings that you can find on the gun. Good Luck.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2010 7:35 am 
Tournament Grade

Thank you!

Yep, I know this source of information, but never used it - it is more like out of curiosity question. Gun definitely has no or very little value. I bought it only because I don't have any single shot. Also 32" barrel for 20 ga catched my attention. And, indeed, it is very sweet gun. Will I hunt with it? I doubt. Most likely will bring it to my club to smoke some clays - will be fun to use it for trap sometime!

Again, thank you for the help
Dmitry

PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2010 11:06 am 
Limited Edition

The fact that it's a 20 with a 32" barrel makes it a bit out of the ordinary, but unfortunately, probably doesn't make it any more valuable than a 20 with a shorter barrel.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2010 5:46 pm 
Tournament Grade

CBlock wrote:
The fact that it's a 20 with a 32" barrel makes it a bit out of the ordinary, but unfortunately, probably doesn't make it any more valuable than a 20 with a shorter barrel.

It does make it more valuable - for me! :) I think nobody will buy Stevens for the re-selling value, unless it is some limited run (if such exists).

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2011 11:03 pm 
Utility Grade

The information on here is great, helped me have a little background about my gun. i own the same gun other than the mystery markings/ makers markings. thanks for the post/info!

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2011 8:29 am 
Crown Grade

Remove the foren, dismount the barrel, and check the metal undersides for a stamped-in circled letter.

There should be a circled letter stamped somewhere there - the Savage Letter Date Code - IF the gun was made between 1949 and 1970.

The codes started with "A" in 1949, continuing to "X" in 1970, skipping "I" & "O".

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2011 5:23 pm 
Limited Edition

Actually, if the gun is marked "J Stevens Arms Co" with the Chicopee Falls address, it was probably made before WWII. Most post-war "Stevens" guns are marked 'Savage' somewhere. And of course Savage moved away from Chicopee Falls around 1960.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2011 5:21 pm 
Utility Grade

I also have a stevens 94b in 16 gauge. I'm nearly done with the disassembly. Having a bit of trouble getting the top snap lever, and the top snap sleeve to come apart though. Any info would be appreciated.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2011 8:42 pm 
Utility Grade

Ok finally got the top snap lever and the top snap sleeve apart. Next problem I have is the bead sight. The bead is almost non-existant. Very little metal is remaining on sight and I am not sure how to remove what is left. Or if it would be easier to add to what is already there. Any ideas would be appreciated.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2011 12:13 am 
Crown Grade

The bead sight is screwed in. If there is very little left, the best thing to do is file it down flush with the barrel, drill out what remains and re-tap the hole. Most front sights have a #6-48 thread. Replacement sights can be obtained from Brownells Inc. Screw in a new sight, file off with a rat tail round file the excess on the inside of the barrel.