CalendarCalendar   Photos  * FAQ
It is currently Tue Sep 30, 2014 10:51 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Solvent for sabot slug gun
PostPosted: Sat Mar 27, 2010 3:14 pm 
Field Grade

What does everyone use to clean the rifled barrels on their sabot slug guns? Need something to take care of the plastic fouling.

Post subject: Re: Solvent for sabot slug gun
PostPosted: Sat Mar 27, 2010 9:37 pm 
Tournament Grade

What I find works the best is Hoppe's BenchRest. Swab the bore let set just a few minutes and swab out. If there is plastic fouling it will come out in black strings.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 27, 2010 11:14 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Hoppe's Benchrest works well however I have been using a mixture of 25% Kroil and 75% Shooters Choice for about 25 years. It works surprisingly well as a "bond breaker" with the fouling in steel barrels. It has always worked for me.

Note :You cannot chemically totally eliminate plastic fouling. The term plastic remover is a bit of a misnomer. You can however delaminate it from the barrel walls just like eyeshot mentioned.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2010 9:30 am 
Presentation Grade

Also, if you have excessive plastic fouling you might want to think about what is causing it. Rough machining has been mentioned by some as a source of heavy fouling, which I and others have not experienced heavy plastic fouling in our own firearms. There are methods for 'fixing' rough machining. Check your bore and your forcing cone, ideally they should have mirror finishes.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2010 8:20 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

The severity of the forcing cone angle and the cones surface condition are primary reasons why wad petals are sheared off. Note: It takes a bit more than a sandpaper polishing to do that right.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2010 1:37 am 
Diamond Grade

neophyte wrote:
The severity of the forcing cone angle and the cones surface condition are primary reasons why wad petals are sheared off. Note: It takes a bit more than a sandpaper polishing to do that right.

Neo is spot on correct about that.
Doing it right is the trick.
ALL my s.g. barrels get polished. I mean polished to a mirror shine.
I use 4000 or 600 grit past to start out and rotate the tight fitting rag on a dowel chucked in a 3/8" drill and keep the speed constant and the in and out motion constant.
I finish with 1200 grit.
Paste is non imbedding from Brownells and it takes some time to get in right.
Rifled barrels don't get the drill treatment, it's all elbow grease and lots of it.
Leading and plastic fouling almost completely disappear.
The aboslutely roughest barrels i've seen are Mossy's and they realy benefit from a serious polishing, nest in line are Rem 870 barrels, some of which have deep machine marks inside of them.
It definately aids accuracy like you won't believe.
If I get BVR retraining as an injured (crippled) dispalced (GM) worker as a Smith I'll specialize in forcing cone work and barrel polishing as well as metal treatments. When I'm done nothing will rust or corrode accuracy improves and fouling is minmized.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2010 7:02 pm 
Tournament Grade

On my USH I did the same as jeager106 lapped & polished my bore and then used Slick 50 1 Lube in a spray can-Teflon in the bore. It seems to work very well, I don't get any plastic fouling at all now.