CalendarCalendar   Photos  * FAQ
It is currently Tue Sep 02, 2014 9:08 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: .410 semi-auto shotgun
PostPosted: Sat Mar 27, 2010 3:34 pm 
Utility Grade

My husband and I know very little about shotguns. I am a small person and I want a shotgun for home defense. Several friends had suggested a Mossberg 410 semi-auto and use low recoil 2 3/4" #4 buckshot. As I know nothing about shotguns, I really need some advise about the best gun for a home defense and if I have to use it I would shoot through a neighbor's wall next door. I would appreciate any help. Thank you

Last edited by ptardugn on Sat Mar 27, 2010 5:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: .410 semi-auto shotgun
PostPosted: Sat Mar 27, 2010 5:11 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

I'm not sure what model of 410 you are positing your question on, as you didn't list it. However familiarity with the firearm may be the more crucial aspect.
Many 410's can kick as hard as a 28 gauge or 20 gauge depending on the weight of the gun and load of the shell. Much of the 410 ammo sold is 3" vs 20 ga and 28 ga that is mostly 2.3/4". A 410 is not a gauge, so if it were it would be a 68 gauge. So it is not going to have much stopping power compared to other gauges.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2010 3:11 am 
Diamond Grade

I don't think Mossberg makes a semi-auto .410 shotgun.

They do make a pump action .410 though.

While the first rule of a gun fight is to have a gun, the .410 is probably not what most people would consider the best defensive caliber of shotgun. That distinction would probably have to go to the 12 gauge.

There have been some self defense type loads come out lately for the .410, mostly due I would guess to the popularity of the Taurus Judge line of handguns. Maybe the overall worst part of the .410 would be paying the ridiculous price being asked for the shells.

If the women of the family was small in stature and strength, I think I would recommend one of the Mossberg pump action 505 youth guns in 20 gauge like their item number 57110 with the 20" barrel. See here http://www.mossberg.com/products/default.asp?id=22&display=specs . With some light loads.

At least you could afford to buy shells to practice with and become intimately familiar with the gun.

Just my opinion for what its worth. But you sure need to get some good instruction too, about safe gun handling, and defense technique. Ask lots of questions and learn all you can.

Jeff

PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2010 5:18 am 
Limited Edition

I would strongly recommend you attending a class on home defense before deciding what type of gun to buy and to get training on how to use whatever gun you decide to buy.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2010 6:17 am 
Crown Grade

wdlewis wrote:
I would strongly recommend you attending a class on home defense before deciding what type of gun to buy and to get training on how to use whatever gun you decide to buy.

I agree 100%. It sounds like you have no gun handling skills. Go to a home defense class and find a shooting range. At a range you my be able to shoot a rental gun and some one there can help you.
Right now you are at a stage were you could hurt some one or your self.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2010 6:44 am 
Tournament Grade

just get a dog best HD you can have he will watch the house when you are not home. and it do's not have to be mean just bark loud I have labs and they are not mean they bark and they will make you think they are mean. but they would not bite just lick you.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2010 8:09 pm 
Field Grade

I agree with the rest of the group, take a lesson or two at you local range. just go to one and ask a lot of questions, most are more than willing to help out. also .410 would be the worst for stopping power. at least get a 20 gauge or a 12, they are not as bad as they are made out to be especially with a reduced load. Good luck and hope you the best.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2010 8:29 pm 
Crown Grade

UnitMaster wrote:
A 410 is not a gauge, so if it were it would be a 68 gauge.

I've heard lots of gauges given for a .410 bore, but I'm pretty sure it would be a 36 gauge.

You will probably want at least a 20ga. for home defense.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2010 9:48 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

oldthompson wrote:
UnitMaster wrote:
A 410 is not a gauge, so if it were it would be a 68 gauge.

I've heard lots of gauges given for a .410 bore, but I'm pretty sure it would be a 36 gauge.

Not according to ChuckHawks.com and every other source I've ever read.

http://www.chuckhawks.com/410bore.htm

PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2010 12:10 pm 
Diamond Grade

I read a lot about people getting guns for home defense and can tell by what I read that they are not "gun people". What I am saying here is have you given any thought about pointing a gun at another human being and killing him! That is what we are talking about here and this never gets brought up. If you can't do this or hesitate the bad guy is going to take your gun and use it on you! Do some serious thinking and if you are sure you can pull the trigger on another person then go take some classes on firearm self defense. If not get a guard dog.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2010 2:53 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

An excellent site for folks thinking about self defense: http://www.corneredcat.com/toc.aspx
The primary focus is women and handguns, but there's a lot of good information that applies to any weapon or gender.

On shotguns: The most important factor for small person is that the gun fit you properly. A gun that's too big will force you to lean back to hold it up, making the recoil feel much worse. If you're a small person you'll need a gun with a shorter stock so you can hold it properly. Your husband will also be able to use it -- a larger person can adapt to a smaller gun, but it's very hard for a small person to shoot a gun that's too big.

A gun for home defense should have a fairly short barrel so that it's easy to maneuver. The legal minimum is 18".

Popular choices are the Mossberg Bantam series or the Remington 870 youth models. Many manufacturers make smaller models. Here are a few:

http://www.mossberg.com/products/defaul ... play=specs
http://www.remington.com/product-famili ... tguns.aspx

Another option would be to buy a gun and cut down or replace the stock. Stocks and barrels are easy to change on most popular shotguns.

A light gun will be easier to hold, but you will feel more recoil.

Another viewpoint:
http://bayourenaissanceman.blogspot.com ... idiot.html