CalendarCalendar   Photos  * FAQ
It is currently Fri Dec 19, 2014 6:42 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: cheapest single shot 410 review
PostPosted: Sat Mar 27, 2010 11:45 pm 
Tournament Grade

Back last fall I past on a family heirloom 22 rifle to a cousin (keeping a promise) So I was looking for a 22 single shot. I ended up picking up a rossi matched pair 22/410 youth on sale it was $99. I got a 410 barrel too. This guns purpose is first a walking around gun to be carried a bunch and shot a little and second to shoot things in the garden or after my chickens. First off it ain't pretty, but it is light rossi's build the 410 on a 410 sized frame. It weighs 3.36 lbs with the 410 by the way it's light weight and small butt plate size make it a a harder kicker for a 410 maybe to much for a small child. a 22" modified choke barrel makes it short.It has been fed mostly 2 1/2 aa's #8 shot, 2 1/2 remmies#6 shot , federal 410 handgun #000 buckand a few remington 1/5 oz slugs to see how the shoot. rabbits and squirrel tasted the same as if they were shot with a nice fancy 410 :mrgreen: I didn't have any more trouble knocking dove down than I do with any thing else I shoot at them. the slugs or minute of dinty moore can @ 40 yards(the farthest I would shoot with a 410 slug) The federal "410 handgun" ammo make a 410 a reliable small predator killer. when the snow started melting the critters were moving in the daytime , I heard the chicken making a ruckus , I headed out the door with the rossi and a handful of federal buckshot as a possum was making his getaway from where I fired to where he laid was 26 steps I fire at his east end he was headed west. all 4 pieces of buck hit him and he was D.R.T.
this thing is a sows ear for looks . but for a light weight don't mind if it gets dirty utility throw in the truck so you have some kinda gun it works fairly well
I have been wearing the starlings out with it lately :mrgreen:
Roy

Post subject: Re: cheapest single shot 410 review
PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2010 7:30 pm 
Tournament Grade

I have a Rossi 20ga in single shot. I could throw on more barrels if I could find them. I purchased a NEF Pardner instead and the weight is better. Only bad thing about the Rossi's is their light weight.

Glad you enjoyed the .410.I dont regret buying either of mine.

M.S.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2010 8:02 pm 
Tournament Grade

I have the 20ga bull barrel it will kill the deer at 150 yards it is heavy then h-ll. but i like it to

PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2010 9:09 pm 
Tournament Grade

the extremely light weight is what sold me I actually bought it for the 22 barrel but that light weight makes it not as good for what it is built for, a youth gun. I also like the modified choke since my hunting style is get close or don't shoot. It is what it is the cheapest gun available. but it fills a niche for my needs, a light weight beat around gun
Roy

PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2010 8:08 pm 
Presentation Grade

In many cases, the "you get what you pay for" adage is true, but it's nice when you can find a cheapy that works well for you. You've almost convinced me to go get a little .410 (ammo prices for the .410 will probably stop me though)

Out of curiosity as much as anything else, I bought an NEF 20ga a year ago. Toward the end of pheasant season, it was seeing more field time than my 12ga repeater, because it carried nicer and pointed nicely for me.