CalendarCalendar   Photos  * FAQ
It is currently Sat Oct 25, 2014 6:12 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Maxus / A400
PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2010 4:33 pm 
Limited Edition

Who has been brave or rich enough to buy both?? Need some feedback comparison.

Post subject: Re: Maxus / A400
PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2010 9:54 pm 
Diamond Grade

That's some serious coin you're talkin there, two own those two guns. :shock: , But I'd do it if I could afford it :oops:

Jeff

PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2010 10:13 pm 
Shotgun Expert
Shotgun Expert

My A400 hasn't arrived yet. The walnut / blued Maxus is supposed to be here in May.

What is it you need "feedback" on?

http://randywakeman.com

PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2010 8:12 am 
Tournament Grade

RandyWakeman wrote:
What is it you need "feedback" on?

Which one will be the end all be all of shotguns? I know there must be one best shotgun.

Actually, I'm curious how many people will opt for these guns instead of a 20 given how light they are.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2010 9:19 am 
Limited Edition

Well, I would say "the best all around". I understand when evaluating a gun you have to take into account the Manufacture also (service and parts). I would be interested in the quality build and the functionality of both guns. One important thing for me is how smooth they both shoot,
(example, felt mechanical recoil) I am not a Benelli lover and have never shot enough Benelli's to justify but it seems to me that in the A400 like Benelli's bolt system there would be more felt mechanical recoil than the Maxus.
The thing I hate about the Beretta 391 is the tremedous felt mechanical recoil and it is a pain to clean and deal with overall for a hunting shotgun. A huntiing shotgun should be easily stripped and cleaned. I'm open for correction if I'm wrong

Not that I would let money be my deciding factor but 15-1600 smacker for an auto, Wow

That could be one black Maxus 3" ($925) and money toward a Hunter version

PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2010 9:52 am 
Field Grade

please use the "search" area for the maxus - several reviews & comments. my experience with my maxus was horrible - hopefully it was early design or manufacturing flaws that have since been corrected - or i just got a bad one. i know of a few others that had to send theirs back too. mine test fired fine after two repairs & hopefully will prove itself to me this coming duck season. i just don't shoot all that much outside of duck season. i plan on bringing a backup gun (my chales daly that cost about 1/4 of the maxus) for this "top of line" model - thanks

ps - i'm not a professional skeet or sporting clays shooter. not a professional hunter. not a gun review professional writer. i'm just a regular hunting customer looking for a nice gun that works well, as promised & designed; that's hopefully low / lower maintenance like the other equipment i buy, use & enjoy to use.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2010 10:46 am 
Shotgun Expert
Shotgun Expert

dovebuster wrote:
The thing I hate about the Beretta 391 is the tremedous felt mechanical recoil and it is a pain to clean and deal with overall for a hunting shotgun. A huntiing shotgun should be easily stripped and cleaned. I'm open for correction if I'm wrong

As long as you are open for correction, the notion that the Beretta 391 has "tremendous felt mechanical recoil" is quite a bit off the mark. Beretta 391's remain the most popular high-volume clays autoloaders today. None of many, many gas autos could be considered harsh shooting. Not the 391, not the 303 / 302 / B-80, not the 390, not Browning Gold / Silver / Win SX2-SX3, none of the above. Not the Remington 1100, either.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2010 11:49 am 
Limited Edition

Although none of the gas auto's are harsh shooting compared to recoil operated guns some have very different feels when the mechanism is working during the firing process. The 391 be a very high volume, well built shotgun with all parts built from steel, the recoil sleeve/arm to the bolt, operating rod to the long recoil spring guide in the tube seem to work together to produce clunky mechanical sounding/ felt recoil when firing.
This is what I feel when I shoot one and that is I'm subjective from person to person.

Randy as you have written the Browning does have the softest, ease of cleaning gas system of them all thus far so let's see how the A400 can compare.

Before I'm chastised from the Beretta crowd, I like Beretta very much and own them and the 391 is a great gun!

Blessings

PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2010 1:01 pm 
Shotgun Expert
Shotgun Expert

If there is one "end-all and get all" shotgun, I certainly haven't found it yet-- nor has anyone else, not to the point where there is any agreement.

Whether the 391, A400, Maxus, etc., none of them can be accused of "all-steel" construction-- no even close. Aluminum receivers and "techno-polymers" are part of the package when lightweight is a component.

A heavy lead turkey load can be 2 ounces in 3 inch, 2-1/4 ounces in 3-1/2 in. 12 gauge. There is no such thing as a lightweight field gun that I know of that won't jolt you quite thoroughly with either shell. Take any shotgun action ever designed that it is supposed to be soft-shooting, add weight and that gun will kick you less with little doubt.

There is no gas shotgun made today that will last any longer than a steel-receivered Browning B-80 or will kick substantially less. But, that's no fun, is it?

PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2010 1:05 pm 
Field Grade

i will remark that the maxus recoil is extremely light w/ 2 3/4" shells - close to nothing. i have at times, looked to verify the gun has cycled / pulled my head back to inspect it. pretty amazing & pretty quiet. it changes to something more normal to me with 3" shells, but w/ 3 1/2", it kicks like a mule. i can handle it for a box or two, but you do feel it, it's not the most comfortable thing & often knocks you around a bit.
i have a few friends w/ extrema2's - most have kickoffs & really like them. however, one person who's opinion i do respect said he doesn't like it - says it gives a "2nd" kick, instead of just one - so he got one w/out kickoff. i think randy wrote he thinks kickoffs are somewhat of a gimmick. i only shot one once & it was at clays. it felt big & my left hand was grabbing the very rear part of the forearm. i know they shortened the stock in later extema2 models, but it's still big to me - and i think a change/design criteria for the a400. also, i do enjoy shooting 3 1/2" shells - so i think the kickoff & kickoff3 could make sense for me.
another item on the a400 is the super high cost - i'm just not real comfortable leaving a $1750 gun w/ tax in my car or boat. hell, it'd probably be smart to change my insurance coverage for my home, car & boat if i bought it - pretty amazing to me.
last, after feeling like i got "burned" on a new model introduction, i'm actually a bit worried about repeating the same mistake. for $1750, this gun better be super duper incredible by my expectations. any thoughts here?

PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2010 1:11 pm 
Shotgun Expert
Shotgun Expert

The cost of the latest and greatest autoloaders is quite substantial. But, you hardly need any of them to break clays or go hunting. All of my guns are insured for replacement cost; that just makes good sense.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2010 2:18 pm 
Limited Edition

Randy, I do understand your point. There is nothing like the B80 steel reciever,
Browing A5 and even an old 1100. You just need to come up with a top 10 excuse list that we can stand before the wife and read aloud before the war begins after we purchase all the latest and greatest and she looks at the bank card statement.

Even a better thought since you have the gift of pinmanship and a way with words we elect you to aquire the latest and greatest take all the heat and tell us how they perform.

Thanks to everyone on the forum, what would we do if we could not conversate about a passion with all the mess that's going on in our world.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2010 9:27 pm 
Shotgun Expert
Shotgun Expert

I used to ask my wife how many pairs of shoes she had. It kinda-sorta works, but not always. :roll:

The price of the A400 Unico has already been popped a bit: $1625 MSRP for the base model, $1725 for the KO3 version. It is (imo) right at the uppermost limit of what many could stomach for an alloy gas field gun with a fake (or enhanced) wood finish.

So, I'm not much help. Yes, I shot a couple of them, found them to be light, responsive, excellent handling . . . and also shot a couple of KO3 models that ruined the feel-- for me, personally.

A 3 inch Maxus Hunter with a walnut stock and a polished blue barrel @ $1399 looks like a comparative bargain. Nevertheless, one you break the $1200 threshold for an autoloader getting what you want is the only way to go.

I'm forced to view some of the personal preference areas through the prism of my own, completely subjective lenses. As a dedicated waterfowl gun, the base Xtrema II now starts looking like a value in a 3-1/2 auto @ $1350 for the base model. If recoil truly is an issue, then 3-1/2 in. shell capability is a moot point. If you think you need or just want a 3-1/2 in. shotgun then by all means you should have one. Personally, I have no use for one at all-- though I have owned several. That's why I can tell you I have no use for one.

If I had to just offer an impression between the two, my feeling is that the basic synthetic Maxus is a more competent choice for the goose pit, where the slightly lighter and faster handling A400 would have the edge for upland hunting. That's just an impression.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2010 9:35 pm 

dovebuster wrote:
One important thing for me is how smooth they both shoot,
(example, felt mechanical recoil) I am not a Benelli lover and have never shot enough Benelli's to justify but it seems to me that in the A400 like Benelli's bolt system there would be more felt mechanical recoil than the Maxus.

Are you saying that a bolt with a rotary face produces more recoil than a bolt with a top locking lug?

PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2010 5:26 am 
Presentation Grade

To me it doesn't matter which one of these guns is the best. They are out of my price range, period. If Browning and Beretta were looking to price a whole bunch of shooters out of the market for their auto-loaders they have succeeded. Too rich for this retirees blood.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2010 7:41 am 
Limited Edition

Worc,
I don't really know but it seems to me that the rotating movement of the bolt head has the tendancy to require more movement than a bolt that just slams shut. That is where I was calling out to Randy for input. I know he has had experience with them both (more than me). The one thing that concerns me on the Beretta is if the reciever gets scarred it cannot be touched-up, That's per the Beretta field service manager. No way to color match. I have touched-up many black or blued guns after a boo boo. Why Beretta went this route makes me wonder, What about a black Dinasour gun??

As Randy stated the A400 is very light and responsive even up beside the Maxus i compared in the store. Was hard to believe but I had to feel myself to believe. The one gentlemen I spoke with that had shot the A400 with KO said it the collasping recoil pad would take some getting use to (totally different feel and he was a professional clay shooter) I lean toward what Randy states, the KO would ruin it for me it just giver the gun a different feel and because I would almost never shoot a 3.5" shell.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2010 12:34 pm 
Limited Edition

Well, for whatever it's worth, I spoke with one of the Southeast largest dealers which happens to be in my area (The owner by the way). He is a full line dealer for all top models with a high end gun gallery that would make a upland hunter go into cardiac arrest with all the top brans and models. He personally stated he was bewildered when Beretta released this gun considering all the fine guns that are in the line-up presently (by the way Randy he is a 390 lover). He stated after handling and shooting one and from the feedback of the many he has sold to people who previously owned different brands he now knows why.

His recent conversations with Beretta leads him to believe that the 391 line will eventually go away as some has speculated. In his opinion he believes that the A400 will change the way Semi Auto's will be veiwed in the future. He says they perform and shoot that well.
By the way he preferred the non K/O model.
http://www.kevinsguns.com/

PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2010 1:53 pm 
Shooting Instructor
Shooting Instructor

Are these guns significantly better than the Urika Optima bore 391? or the Browning Gold?

It takes about two years to know if a new model is going to live up to the claims in the ads and press releases. I think being skeptical is a good course on new models.

"A peculiar virtue in wildlife ethics is that the hunter ordinarily has no gallery to applaud or disapprove of his conduct. Whatever his acts, they are dictated by his own conscience, rather than by a mob of onlookers." Aldo Leopold

PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2010 2:00 pm 

I can't imanage the bolt design adding or taking away felt recoil. At least anything you would be able to come close to feeling. If anything it requires a lighter pull on the bolt handle of a bolt with a rotary face compared to a top locking lug to unlock them.

My opinion is that there is no difference in felt recoil between the various auto loading operating systems (Long Recoil, Inertia, Gas, etc.). This is when all of the different felt recoil factors are leveled out. The problem is, they seldom are and only a few models even come close from the factory that I've come across.

There are advantages and disadvantages to each bolt design with felt recoil not being one of them.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2010 2:48 pm 
Utility Grade

In Europe Maxus and A400 are arriving and I am interested in buying one but have not made the final choice!

I am concerned with the reliability of these shotguns! They really perform well with light loads and heavy, as announced? You know any mechanical problem?

In your opinion, which is the better barrel, looking to lead/steel perforation at long distances?

My experience says that to reduce the recoil is necessary to increase the weight. For anyone who wants a shotgun that will give less recoil should to choose a heavier gun.