CalendarCalendar   Photos  * FAQ
It is currently Mon Sep 01, 2014 8:40 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: B. Castellani O/U????
PostPosted: Sat Apr 03, 2010 1:28 pm 
Limited Edition

Here's a mystery gun, marked "B. Castellani" and "Gardone, Italy". 12 ga, Boxlock with sideplates, barrels marked with 2 stars and 4 stars:

Any ideas about pedigree and value?

Post subject: Re: B. Castellani O/U????
PostPosted: Sat Apr 03, 2010 7:43 pm 
Crown Grade

IIRC, the firm of B. Castellani was in operation during the 1960's and 70's (possibly before). In addition to O/U's as pictured, I believe they also produced a single barrel trap gun. It would appear that the make was not successful in North America as I find no record of a North American importer for B. Castellani.

Montani Semper Liberi

Post subject: Re: B. Castellani O/U????
PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2010 10:42 am 
Diamond Grade

Bruno Castellani and his son Fabbio had a small gun works in the central street of Gardone Val Trompia.

I met them in 1982 and commissioned them to build a boxlock SXS to my specs which they did. The firm was then calle ARA, which stood for Architectura Armi, or some such, Fabbio had some interesting marketing and design ideas for shotguns.

The catalogs of the time include OUs in trap, skeet and field configurations, the higher models had hand detachable locks, there was also a line of double rifles. A few years after our meeting the firm closed and I lost touch with Fabbio.

The firm also built high quality doubles to order, both OU and SXS, and some exquisite hammer guns. The standing of the guns in the Italian gunmaking scene of the 80 was about equal to firms like Zoli, Rizzini, Sabbati and other mid level makers.

Last time I was in Gardone a year and half ago, most of these mid level firms were gone.

The gun in the photo seems to be from that era, possibly the 70s. The presence of sideplates puts it in the upper field model range of OUs.