CalendarCalendar   Photos  * FAQ
It is currently Thu Oct 23, 2014 8:03 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: I saw a Mossberg 500a for sale in a pawn shop - high price?
PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2010 9:32 pm 
Tournament Grade

Basic 500a with 18.5" barrel, wood furniture, and a sling. Used pawn shop find. They wanted $249. (not including background and taxes)

I really want a small, light weight, short, little, simple 500 but that seems like alot?

Post subject: Re: I saw a Mossberg 500a for sale in a pawn shop - high price?
PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2010 10:23 pm 
Field Grade

the manufacturers list is $422. so it really isn't a bad price. you could get close to that price with a sale at the major sporting goods stores but i doubt you would get that low.
it looks to be in nice condition. they don't have much to go wrong with them. I have a mossberg 500a in marine version, i got on gunbroker used and paid $300, which was a pretty good deal. it would be hard to find one lower in my honest opinion. Bruce

PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2010 10:51 pm 
Crown Grade

Honestly, I've seen them new for not much more. For example, this one comes with two barrels for $60 more:
http://www.impactguns.com/store/015813541695.html

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2010 12:14 am 
Tournament Grade

Btw, the pic is not of the actual shotgun. Its a pic I found on the net that looked exactly like what I saw. Just for reference. So I should do a little more shopping around is what it sounds like?

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2010 5:35 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Offer them $200.

$200-ish seems to be typical around here for a nice used 500. I've seen a couple of beaters in the $150 range.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2010 8:55 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

NHrural wrote:
Offer them $200.

$200-ish seems to be typical around here for a nice used 500. I've seen a couple of beaters in the $150 range.

This is the "secret" to Pawn Shopping. :wink:

Go in any look at the shotgun and say, "I'd like to make you an offer......$175 out the door."

They may take it, or they may turn it down, or they may say, "I can't do $175, but I'll do $200 OTD."

Or they may say, "That's the final price", in which case you can walk out the door.

It's all about negotiations at a pawn shop. Never pay the listed price.

http://www.theboxotruth.com/

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2010 9:33 am 
Crown Grade

Absolutely- I've bought a lot of stuff at pawn shops, and I have never paid the full list price. I once overheard a pawn shop owner that was training a new clerk say that the rule of thumb is that you can bargain down to 75% of list price. From my experience, this is pretty true, although I have gotten stuff for 50% of list price before. Firearms they don't tend to deal as much as the rest of the stuff. Pricing can be a funny business. If they didn't pay much for the item (either they bargained the guy way down, or they took it in on a loan for less than the item's value), then they might be willing to deal a little more, since they can drop the price way down and still make a profit. On the other hand, if they paid to much for the the item, they'll price it higher, be less willing to deal, and wait for some sucker to come along and buy it for the inflated price. I've bought stuff in brand new condition for 1/4 to 1/10 of new price (Strider/Surefire combo for $60 :D ), but I've also seen beat up stuff that they were asking considerably more than it would have cost new.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2010 10:03 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

The pawn shops in my area will come down to 50% of tag price. They won't pay more than 1/3 of the price thet think they can get for it. Clerks can't do much haggling, but the manager can. If it has been on the shelf for a long time, the manager will usually let it walk for the pawn price.

T o clarify this, I have been into pawn shops where the merchandise has cobwebs on it because the shop won't haggle more than 75% of tag price.

That Mossberg 500A, you should pay no more than $175, if you ask to see the manager. Good shops love to move merchandise in volume. Bad shops don't care and they will not budge less than 75%. They have little volume and make their money on interest.

Help Wanted: Young chicken needed at soup factory to replace retired rooster that waded through chicken soup. Hip boots will be furnished. No experience required.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2010 8:17 pm 
Crown Grade

It all depends on the shop. There is one pawn shop near me that never deals that much on the marked price, but I often find stuff in there that is a screaming bargain at the marked price, so the fact that they won't deal that much isn't that much really doesn't bother me.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2010 1:43 pm 
Utility Grade

I paid $200 for mine from the pawn shop but it's a synthetic pistol grip and forend. Then a few days later they had the same mossberg with a regular stock at BIG5 sporting goods for $250 new. I was kind of pissed I paid so much for a used gun but I'm happy with it.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2010 9:44 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

The local Walmart has Mossberg 500s for $227 NIB.

Help Wanted: Young chicken needed at soup factory to replace retired rooster that waded through chicken soup. Hip boots will be furnished. No experience required.