CalendarCalendar   Photos  * FAQ
It is currently Thu Dec 18, 2014 4:39 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Winchester Model 50 won't feed!
PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2010 9:51 pm 
Utility Grade

Hello!
I just picked-up my dad's old Model 50. The timing was a bit off (wouldn't eject) and it was far too dirty (sorry dad). I cleaned it up and set the plug where it should be, but the feed ramp wont lift the shell into place when I pull the bolt back. Hmmm. Nothing in the mechanism is preventing the ramp from lifting - it lifts easily into position when I help it up. The magazine tube, follower and spring are working perfectly.
Any suggestions?
Thanks,
LW

Post subject: Re: Winchester Model 50 won't feed!
PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2010 11:52 am 
Limited Edition

Check the carrier pawl on the back end of the carrier arm for free movement. The short leg of the carrier spring should engage the pawl and keep it pushed forward. The bolt overrides the carrier pawl(assumng it's rearward travel is sufficient) and forces the carrier to rise as the the bolt closes.

WOB

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2010 7:27 pm 
Utility Grade

First, thanks! Curious thing about that pawl is that the spring is intact and the pawl holds the ramp up with no trouble after I start it up manually. I discovered yesterday after I posted that the disconnect fails the functions test. I pull the bolt to the rear while holding the trigger, let the bolt go forward - no problem. When I release the trigger (and let it click forward), the hammer falls. Only in the gun! When I remove the trigger assembly and move through the same procedure, the disconnect and sear work just as they are supposed to. I would guess that I've reassembled the thing wrong, but there isn't really much to it. Is there supposed to be some way to lock this bolt to the rear?
I sure appreciate your time,
LW

PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2010 9:05 am 
Limited Edition

The the tail of the carrier lock holds the carrier down which holds bolt back (via the pawl)on the last shot or when you retract the bolt manually with an empty magazine. There is a spring under the carrier lock in the receiver wall that pushes the tail out to block the carrier when the bolt comes back and there is no fresh shell on the carrier. The button on the side of the receiver is the front end of the carrier lock. It forced to the extended position by the spring. The bolt cannot move forward without the carrier cycling up and down on a working gun. You need a copy of the manual: http://www.cornellpubs.com/old-guns/ite ... em_id=1961 It also gives detailed instuctions to correct the "hammer following down problem".

WOB

PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2010 6:53 pm 
Utility Grade

I just ordered it - good advice and thanks for the website (and everything else!).
LW