CalendarCalendar   Photos  * FAQ
It is currently Wed Oct 22, 2014 9:19 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Newport Shotgun ID and Price
PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2010 2:54 pm 
Utility Grade

I have a Newport break action 12 gauge shotgun. the only writing on it is Newport W on the left side of the break. On the top of the barrel at the end down by the break it says made in the usa 12 ga. choke. Finally, behind the trigger guard is A83869L

Can anyone Id this gun and give me a estimate of how much it is worth. Should I shoot it?

I am having trouble uploading pics from my phone...will try again so that a visual can be found...im sure my description is not going to help but any comment might help. Thanks

Post subject: Re: Newport Shotgun ID and Price
PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2010 11:02 pm 
Crown Grade

I think if you look closely or clean off any rust or dirt you'll find that the name on the gun is NEWPORT MODEL WN. The gun is what is known as a "Trade Brand Name" shotgun. That is a shotgun made by a major maker for and sold by a wholesaler or retailer who chose the name to go on the gun.Shotguns with the name NEWPORT MODEL WN were made by one of two makers, Crescent Fire Arms Company of Norwich,CT (1892 to 1931) or Iver Johnson's Arms & Cycle Workf of Fitchberg,MA (1871 to 1993) for and were sold by the Hibbard Spencer Bartlett Company of Chicago.Il a large wholesale sporting goods dealer. Going by the description of where the serial number is located, I'd say your gun was made by Crescent.Value? Value will depend on the condition of the gun, the amount of original finish remaining on the metal and wood as well as the mechanical condition. Values can range from a high of maybe $150 for a prime example to less than $10 for a rusty rotten incomplete piece of junk fit only for a tomato stake. Can it be fired?Yes with some conditions. The gun was designed using the technology of its time and was designed for the ammunition in use when it was made which was either black powder or early low pressure smokeless powder. Also gun the will be chambered for 2 and 9/16 inch shells. It was not designed for more modern high pressure smokeless powder. 3 inch or magnum shells or steel shot. Since I can't see the gun and its condition, I have to recommend that you do not shoot it. However if you insist, have it checked out by a good gunsmith first and use appropriate ammo.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2010 5:18 pm 
Utility Grade

Thank you for your information. If you want to see pictures I did set up an album. It is under shotguns, antiques under the photos tab on this site...the three pictures might help identify the fun itself. thanks for all the info.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2010 4:09 pm 
Crown Grade

O.K. Don't need to see the gun as I have one in my collection. The location of the serial number confirms that the gun was made by Crescent Fire Arms of Norwich,CT (1892 to 1931) and it was made in 1900.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2012 2:06 pm 
Utility Grade

I am in possession of my grandfathers Newport WN 12 Gauge Choke. I would like to get information on the gun's manufacturer and date.

Serial Number A570203

Thanks for your response

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2012 3:37 pm 
Crown Grade

Be glad to help. Your NEWPORT MODEL WN shotgun is what is referred to (by me anyway) as a "Trade Brand Name" shotgun. A "Trade Brand Name" shotgun is one that was made by a major maker for and was sold by a wholesale sporting goods dealer, a retail chain store or an independent seller who chose the name to go on the gun. Guns with the name Newport Model WN were made by one of two makers, either Crescent Fire Arms Company of Norwich,CT (1892 to 1930) or Iver Johnson's Arms & Cycle Works of Fitchberg,MA (1871 to 1993) for and was sold by the Hibbard Spencer Bartlett Company of Chicago,IL, a large wholesale hardware and sporting goods dealer. I believe the serial number to be one from Crescent Fire Arms and if it is, the gun was made in 1924. A word of caution about your gun. It was made using the technology and metallurgy of the times when it was made and for the ammunition in use back then. It was designed and made for either black powder or early low pressure smokeless powder and lead shot loaded 2 9/16 inch shells. It was not designed for more modern high pressure smokeless powder and steel shot loaded 3 inch or magnum shells. While the gun may still be fired if in good mechanical condition and with appropriate ammo, I recommend that it be inspected by a good qualified gunsmith before doing so. Value? Everyone wants to know. These single barrel single shot guns were inexpensive even when new selling for as little as $10 to $15 and they haven't appreciated much since then. Value today will depend on the guns condition, the amount of original finish remaining on the metal and wood as well as the mechanical condition. A prime condition example that appears to have come out of the factory yesterday afternoon might bring as much as $125 in the standard gauges (.410 bore a bit more) while a rusty metal, rotten wood and missing or worn parts piece of junk fit only for parts salvage or as a fire place poker might bring as little as $10.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2012 4:29 pm 
Utility Grade

Diamond,

Thanks for the quick replay. From Serial Number A570203 can you determine the age of the shotgun?

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2012 4:50 pm 
Crown Grade

A few corrections. Like they taught us in the military "Read the full (and they didn't use that word) question. My full name is William Ned Fall not Diamond. I don't know where that came from. I was named after a drunken brother-in-law that I grew up to despise. I never use the William except for official purposes. Although the wife sometimes calls me other things but to my friends, I'm just Ned. About the serial number: If the serial number on the gun is stamped on the lower tang just behind the trigger guard, then the gun was made by Crescent Fire Arms Company. I answered the date made in my first reply and it was made in 1924 and it is eighty eight years old. If the gun was made by Iver Johnson and I don't think it was, sorry but I don't have any serial number-year made tables for them yet. I just ordered a book for IJ. Now Crescents records were destroyed in a scrap paper drive in early World War 2 but late Mr. Joseph T. Vorisek, a noted gun history researcher and writer was able to re-establish the records through his research and included them in his book"The Breech Loading Shotgun In America 1865 to1940" of which I have a copy.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2012 7:25 pm 
Utility Grade

Thanks Ned, you are a wealth of information. Looks like it was made when made when my grandfather was 20 years old.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 4:56 pm 
Utility Grade

Hi all. Brand new to the forum and needing some help. I bought one of these newport model WN from my neighbor for $75 after he let me borrow it for the day. I love it, neat fun little weapon with a hell of a kick. My problem is, when he bought it, it was already cut down as far as one could cut it down and still be legal, but it looks like they just cut through the buttstock, including the set screw in one motion. Then to add insult to injury, they filled the hole with JB weld. The foregrip is quite loose, and snaps into place instead of screwing like the walmart "pardner". So, my question is do they make after market parts for these "trade name" guns. I looked at the ATI tactical stock and foregrip, but they dont look like they will fit without heavy modification. Anyway, any help will be greatly appreciated. PS This was the one forum that had the most info on this particular weapon, good on ya.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2013 2:47 pm 
Crown Grade

Kaos
Do they make after market parts for these gun? NEWPORT WN shotguns were made by two makers , either Crescent Fire Arms Company of Norwich,CN (1892 to 1930+) out of business for over eighty years or Iver Johnson's Arms & Cycle Works of Fitchberg,MA (1871 to 1993) also out of business for twenty years. When they were in business they made no after market items. I'm afraid that you have bought (and at an inflated price) that can't be used and is going to be very difficult to find parts for. If the butt stock has been sawn through along with the stock bolt (not a set screw) how is the stock still attached to the gun? Both problems with the butt stock and the forearm are fairly easy to repair. You can watch the various gun auction sites like Gun Broker, some times they have parts for these old guns up for auction or entire gun that parts can be salvaged from. Also there are several gun parts dealers who from time to time might have parts. And a skilled wood worker can make replacements. A replacement butt stock screw can be found at your local hardware store. 1/4 X 28 thread bolt with a shank length of maybe 5 or 6 inches. A replacement barrel can be found if you look long enough and hard enough.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2013 8:43 pm 
Utility Grade

Ned,
Thanks a ton for the info, the stock was held in place by JB weld in the "stock bolt" hole, surrounding the cut stock bolt. I only found this out by investigation while trying to figure out how to get the butt stock off. About the aftermarket parts, thats kinda what I figured, but I had to ask. Im an auto mechanic by trade, but my father in law is a fine wood smith, maybe Ill hit him up for a little help. As for the price, I figured it was a little steep, but my neighbor was a little hard up, and Im doing fairly well in this economy, so I threw him a bone, share the wealth and all. Ok, so, looks like my next bit of extra cash will go towards a cheaper pump action then. Oh well, was a fun little pipe dream. Thanks again