CalendarCalendar   Photos  * FAQ
It is currently Fri Nov 28, 2014 7:03 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: mossberg 535 questions
PostPosted: Sun Apr 18, 2010 7:21 pm 
Field Grade

I recently purchased a 535 Waterfowl/turkey combo. I shot some turkey loads out of the turkey barrel and loved the gun. My questions are though that when i bought it at Dicks sporting goods, no one knew anything about the gun. I would like to know if the chokes and barrels that came with the gun can handle steel shot? Could i use the turkey barrel for anything other than the turkey choke? Will the other choke tubes fit in it? Can any of the barrel's/ chokes handle non-toxic's such as hevi shot or bismuth? What is the biggest shot that can go through each choke? Lead and steel. Thanks for the help and sorry if its really newb or has been posted already, its my first post/time on the forum.

Post subject: Re: mossberg 535 questions
PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2010 2:05 am 
Utility Grade

As for if you chokes can handle the steel? Yes and any other shot you want to put in it. Now for size, idk. But for choke size, any choke that will fit flush at the end of the barrel once screwed in is a good fit.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2010 3:56 am 
Limited Edition

Yes, you can shoot steel through either barrel, but not with the turkey choke the short barrel came with. The 535 uses the same standard Mossberg/Winchester/Browning Invector chokes as the 500. The waterfowl barrel should have come with at least one choke tube. Use a modified or more open (IC) choke with steel.

The Mossberg 835 uses a larger diameter barrel and chokes.

http://www.mossberg.com/products/access ... ion=access

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2010 7:54 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

From the 535 owners manual:

ACCU-CHOKE™ TUBES - are designed for use with LEAD or STEEL shot. Each
durable choke tube is clearly marked, as a guide, with the pattern it will
produce.
To remove choke tube: Loosen with choke wrench provided, turning it counterclockwise.
When the choke tube is loosened, remove it completely with your fingers. Place choke tube on
a clean, dry surface.
To install choke tube: Screw the tube clockwise into barrel by hand and then tighten the
tube until snug with the choke wrench. Flush fitting tubes fit completely inside the barrel when
properly installed. Do not use excessive force when installing. Tube tightness should be
checked periodically.
Tube tightness should be checked periodically.
ACCU-CHOKE™ TUBES

GAUGE ITEM # LEAD SHOT PATTERN*
12 95235 Skeet Flush
12 95200 Improved Cylinder Flush
12 95170 Improved Cylinder Extended, Ported
12 95195 Modified Flush
12 95180 Modified Extended, Ported
12 95245 Improved Modified Flush
12 95190 Full Flush
12 95240 X-Full Flush
12 95268 XX-Full Turkey Extended, Ported
12 95267 XX-Full Turkey (Lead Only) Extended
20 95225 Improved Cylinder Flush
20 95220 Modified Flush
20 95215 Full Flush
20 95230 X-Full Turkey (Lead Only) Flush
20 95231 X-Full Turkey Extended, Ported

* Lead, steel, and other non-toxic shot patterns will vary substantially depending on shell
length, shot size, brand of ammunition, and the individual barrel. The shooter is urged to
conduct pattern tests before field use.

http://www.mossbergs.com/manuals/500_835_590_535_en.pdf

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2010 4:13 pm 
Field Grade

still dont know this question. What is the biggest shot that can go through each choke? Lead and steel.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2010 4:31 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

The Mossberg chokes will be marked LEAD ONLY if they are not safe to shoot steel out of. X-Full & XX-Full are lead only, there may be others....

When using lead, you can use any size shot you'd like with any choke... antything from #9 skeet load all the way to Single "O" Buckshot... Typically, the larger the shot the more deformation you will get and the patterns won't be as good. For example, I use 0000Buck for HD, I get the best pattern with a fairly "open" MOD choke, using a tight (Full), or tighter, tends to break up my patterns and give me less shot in the center.

As for steel, the more open chokes pattern better since the steel doesn't deform as easily as steel and makes using a pattern board even more critical.

Hope this helps....

Smitty