CalendarCalendar   Photos  * FAQ
It is currently Thu Dec 18, 2014 12:38 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Remington 870 Express Magnum Tactical Stock
PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2010 1:33 pm 
Utility Grade

I have a Remington 870 Express Magnum shotgun. I am trying to convert it to a tatical combat shotgun. I tried to mount a Mako AGRF870-FK collapsable butt stock that was supposed to fit the 870 on it. It dosent fit. The rear of the receiver and trigger well does not recess into the pistol grip/mount of the shotgun. This puts a bind on the screw-in plug that mounts the rear portion of the stock to the pistol grip. Does anyone know of a pistol grip, telescoping/folding, tactical type butt stock that will fit the Remington 870 Express Magnum? Obviously, the ones designed for the regular 870 dont work.

Thanks, Steve

Post subject: Re: Remington 870 Express Magnum Tactical Stock
PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2010 8:17 pm 
Limited Edition

Steve
If you have your head set on an adjustable stock, Mesa Tactical or Knoxx/Blackhawk with recoil reduction.

If you want a great traditional Tac stock, look no further than a Hogue 12" LOP.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2010 8:11 am 
Utility Grade

prc77 wrote:
Steve
If you have your head set on an adjustable stock, Mesa Tactical or Knoxx/Blackhawk with recoil reduction.

If you want a great traditional Tac stock, look no further than a Hogue 12" LOP.

Thank you

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2010 8:24 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

SMR, before you buy something else, you might want to post photos of what's going on.

ANY stock designed for an 870 will fit an 870 Express.

Either you are a weapon and your gun is a tool, or your gun is a weapon and you are the tool. - Tactical Response
Embrace your wear marks. - 870Pilot

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2010 8:40 am 
Utility Grade

FMD wrote:
SMR, before you buy something else, you might want to post photos of what's going on.

Thanks for the response. I thought the same thing, anything that fits an 870 would fit a 870 Express. That Mako didnt though. Several people are recommending the Knoxx recoil reducing stocks. I believe that's the direction I will go in. I appreciate the help.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2010 9:24 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Steve,

Remington has been using the same dimensions for that receiver and trigger group since 1949 (even before the 870 was introduced, with the 11-48). The stock interface is no different between the Wingmaster, Police, Tactical/HD and Express models of the 870. Either you got a mislabeled stock, the stock has some flash or mold mark that would prevent it from being installed easily on any model of 870, or the stock is for a different gauge (like you're trying to put a 12G stock on a light 20).

In any event, there is absolutely no practical difference besides receiver and trigger group finish/material that is different between the models of 870 listed. If you posted a photo, we might be able to tell you why the stock isn't fitting.

Either you are a weapon and your gun is a tool, or your gun is a weapon and you are the tool. - Tactical Response

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2010 9:31 am 
Utility Grade

FMD wrote:
smr19622 wrote:
FMD wrote:

Thanks for the response. I thought the same thing, anything that fits an 870 would fit a 870 Express. That Mako didnt though. Several people are recommending the Knoxx recoil reducing stocks. I believe that's the direction I will go in. I appreciate the help.

Remington has been using the same dimensions for that receiver and trigger group since 1949 (even before the 870 was introduced, with the 11-48). The stock interface is no different between the Wingmaster, Police, Tactical/HD and Express models of the 870. Either you got a mislabeled stock, the stock has some flash or mold mark that would prevent it from being installed easily on any model of 870, or the stock is for a different gauge (like you're trying to put a light 20G stock on a normal 12G).

In any event, there is absolutely no practical difference besides receiver and trigger group finish/material that is different between the models of 870 listed. If you posted a photo, we might be able to tell you why the stock isn't fitting.

That's what I've bewen hearing everywhere I've inquired. I probably got one that was just off in the manufacturing process. My luck. I would post a photo, but I already returned the stock to the people I bought it from. I'm pretty sure I'm going to go with one of the Knoxx recoil reducing stocks. I keep hearing good things about them and, after reading comments like yours, I'm more confident in the fact that I just got unlucky with the first one. Thanks for the feedback. This is a great forum and people genuinely seem to know what they're talking about.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2010 9:36 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Quote:
That's what I've bewen hearing everywhere I've inquired. I probably got one that was just off in the manufacturing process. My luck. I would post a photo, but I already returned the stock to the people I bought it from. I'm pretty sure I'm going to go with one of the Knoxx recoil reducing stocks. I keep hearing good things about them and, after reading comments like yours, I'm more confident in the fact that I just got unlucky with the first one. Thanks for the feedback. This is a great forum and people genuinely seem to know what they're talking about.

Apologies, I didn't see when the topic was originally posted. :oops:

I figured we might be able to spare you from having to return the stock.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2010 9:55 am 
Utility Grade

FMD wrote:
Quote:

Apologies, I didn't see when the topic was originally posted. :oops:

I figured we might be able to spare you from having to return the stock.

No need to apologize, I appreciate the help and advice. I'm a rifle guy, I'm not that experienced with shotguns.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2010 5:50 pm 
Utility Grade

Hello, first post here, I had the exact same problem with the Mako folding stock when attempting to install it on a Marine Magnum. The recess for the rear of the trigger guard is not even close to being deep enough. It's a clean mold, no burrs or anything, and the recess about 1/4" too shallow. Mako makes a sling adapter spacer that should help, but I opted for a Knoxx recoil reduction stock instead, and sent the Mako back to the vendor.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2010 6:08 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

If that's the case, then the stock won't fit on any 870 whatsoever.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2010 11:08 pm 
Tournament Grade

check out the mesa or knoxx as advised. i prefer a standard stock but have had both clavicles broken twice. i bought the mesa LEO recoil reducing tactical telescopic stock after much consideration. i could not afford new but found someone selling a like new 870P who was willing to part out the mesa stock he had just purchased.... good luck.

-Brady

PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2010 9:26 am 
Utility Grade

bsg1 wrote:
check out the mesa or knoxx as advised. i prefer a standard stock but have had both clavicles broken twice. i bought the mesa LEO recoil reducing tactical telescopic stock after much consideration. i could not afford new but found someone selling a like new 870P who was willing to part out the mesa stock he had just purchased.... good luck.

-Brady

Thanks, Brady. I appreciate the advice. I am going with the Knoxx recoil reducing stock.