CalendarCalendar   Photos  * FAQ
It is currently Mon Oct 20, 2014 6:18 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: New to Shotshell reloading
PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2004 7:22 pm 
Tournament Grade

I asked this question on the general discussion forum yesterday, but haven't recieved any responces yet, thought I'd try my luck again here. What do you guys reccomend as a good comprehensive data manual for shotshell reloading. Been thinking about ordering the one from Lyman, what do you guys reccomend? I'm new to shotshell reloading. My press is a used 12ga. MEC-9000 Hydrolic that came with a 502-100 charge bar and a #30 bushing. So farr, I've loaded about 200 rounds, with Scott-100 powder, and #8 shot. They seem to work well, on skeet/sporting clays in my new 525, wich is about all I've been shooting so farr. I haven't bought any other charge barrs or bushings yet. I do keep Bullseye, Unique, and Tightgroup on hand for use in my pistols.

Post subject: Re: New to Shotshell reloading
PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2004 8:25 pm 
Presentation Grade

Y'know what, JD? I think all of the "comprehensive" shotshell loading manuals are in dire need of updating. I think you're better off with the free powder manufacturer's manuals, or from their internet sites. "Reloading for Shotgunners, 4th edition" would be my choice in the comprehensive category.

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2004 8:56 pm 
Reloading Expert
Reloading Expert

The Lyman Shotshell Reloading Handbook, 4th edition, is about the most comprehensive one around. It will help you to identify cases and wads and, of course, give you load data. As McKie said, though, this manual is in serious need of updating. Still, it does have a lot of necessary information for new shotshell handloaders.

The charge bar you have throws a nominal 1 ounce shot load and the #30 bushing throws a nominal 19.2 grs. of Scot Nitro 100. If you have a powder scale, I suggest you weigh several random shotshells for both shot weight and propellant weight. You'll probably find that you are throwing a little light with both.

If you are throwing pretty close to 1 ounce of shot and 19+ grains of Scot Nitro 100, that is a fairly hot load depending upon hull and wad. For example, Accurate data indicates that 19.5 grs. of Nitro 100 in the Winchester AA hull, Win 209 primer, WAA12SL wad (pink), 1 ounce shot will produce 1350 fps @ 10,200 psi. 18 grs. with the same components will produce 1290 fps @ 9,000 psi.

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2004 9:01 pm 
J.D.,

If you are like most of us , you'll gravitate to Hodgdon , Alliant
or IMR . All three have on-line reloading data ; Fackler & McPherson have a "manual"(also a 4th ed) that is "newer" than the Lyman , but, may not be more comprehensive --- can't seem to find one available for perusal and don't want to buy one sight unseen .

Older Shooter

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2004 10:46 pm 
Diamond Grade

They are in need of updateing. If your looking for loads go to hodgdons websight

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2004 4:25 am 
Shooting Instructor
Shooting Instructor

Agreed!---all the manuals need updating. Online data is way more up-to-date.

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2004 7:37 pm 
Tournament Grade

Thanks guys, I found some of the load data online, but need advise on how best to choose components. For example;

1) I'm just learning to shoot skeet/clays, should I stick with 1oz loads because they're more economical, and I'll be able to make a few more shells with each bag of shot, or go to 1.125oz loads and put more lead in the air each time I pull the trigger?

2) Should I find a lighter weight powder charge, a milder recoiling powder charge, a powder charge that gives higher velocities, or some sort of compromise?

I agree, life's too short to shoot crappy ammo, but one of the reasons I'm reloading is to save a buck on resonably usable ammo. Sure, I'll eventually want to put together various specialized loads for other uses like hunting, but I'll never use them in large quantity the way I will a true target load, so I think it's worth putting some real thought and effort into developing the target load that works best for me.
Thoughts?
Opinions?

P.S.- Honest, I'm trying to learn, and do not mean this as a troll post to sirr up anything. I just want to provoke debate by those more experienced than myself, hoping maybe I'll learn somthing if get to hear both sides of these kinds of issues intelegently debated.

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2004 8:08 pm 
DELETED

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2004 9:20 pm 
Reloading Expert
Reloading Expert

Dutchboy is right. These kind of questions will be debated forever and a day.

Personally, I use a lot of 7/8 ounce loads in the 12 gauge at both trap and skeet. One of my favorites is Remington Gun Club hull, 17 grs. Clays, Remington STS primer, Remington TGT12 wad (the green Fig. 8 wad), 7/8 ounce shot for a little over 1200 fps @ around 6,500 psi. I use #8 shot for both skeet and trap back to the 20 yard line.

When I want a little heavier shot charge, I use Remington STS hulls, 21 grs. International with 1 ounce of #7-1/2 shot, and the other components are the same. This gives right around 1200 fps @ about 9,000 psi.

My 1-1/8 ounce load is moderately warm. I use Remington Nitro 27 hulls, 24 grs. Universal, Remington Fig. 8 wad (white), Remington STS primer, 1-1/8 ounces of #7-1/2 shot. This load is right around 1250 fps and develops about 10,000 psi.

Before someone asks or makes the comment, all of these Remington hulls load the same. I use the different hulls simply for my convenience in keeping the loads known to me. Saves me the aggravation of putting labels on everything.

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2004 5:59 am 
Shooting Instructor
Shooting Instructor

1oz of 7 1/2's or 8's at 1180fps will break any legal trap or skeet target out there. I ran short of Promo this week and dug out a jug of Titewad that has been laying around for a couple of years and loaded the shells for this weekend. 16.5 grains of Titewad,Noble Sports primer,Green Duster,1 oz of 8's. Not going to say exactly what I shot at handicaps---but it was about the same as my favorite Promo load. Cheap too----about $2 a box to load.

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2004 4:15 pm 
Presentation Grade

Go to your local Gun store that sells reloading supplies. Hogden has a real nice 5"X*" load data book that has quite a lot of loads for the Hogden powder line. They list various load combinations, Wads, powder, primers and hulls. You could probably find a lot of combinations to suit your style. Fo instance, 1 oz #9 shot at just under 1145 FPS will break skeet targets consistantly. Then 1 oz. #8 at 1180-1200 FPS are real good for most Sporting Clays targets. I will then use 1-1/8 oz #7-1/2 at 1200 FPS for thoes SC shots that are further out. I know that most guys only want to cary 1 shell to cover it all, but it is not too much trouble to cary the 2 types of shells for SC. V/R TonyG

PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2004 3:20 am 
Tournament Grade

I broke out my scales tonight just to see what charges this press is really throwing. I expected charges to be a little bit lower than the bushing chart prescribed, but never expected them to vary so much. First, I'm using a Dillon determinator digital scale. I weighed five shot charges, they weighed 27.2-27.8 grams and averaged 27.5g. That was about what I expected. Next, I weighed ten powder charges, using my only bushing, MEC-#30, and some Red-Dot powder I bought earlier today. I discarded the first five charges, to let the powder settle. I weighed the next ten charges, wich varied from 16.8gr to 17.9gr averaging around 17.4gr. Is it common for powder charges to vary an entire grain of powder weight? I repeated the exercise, and got similar results, except for one charge that I did not average with the rest, because it was so far from the mean. It only weighed 15.7gr. This seems terribly inconsistant to me. I'm used to metering rifle/pistol charges varying only a tenth of a grain at most. Am I doing something wrong, or is this normal?

PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2004 9:11 am 
DELETED

PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2004 9:44 am 
Field Grade

J.D.,
I agree with DutchBoy about having a baffle under the powder bottle ; the plastic PC baffle seems to "seal" somewhat better and allow the bar to slide a little easier .

I've even gone to a baffle under the shot bottle to keep the
weight of the shot minimized on the bar . I expect that if a
person tried to get maximum production from a press with
baffles under both bottles some inconsistancies might be incurred . The bar seems to "hang-up" less frequently with
the shot baffle 'specially on smaller shot sizes.

O.S.

PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2004 5:04 pm 
Tournament Grade

Baffle under the powder bottle? Please explain.

PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2004 6:32 pm 
DELETED

PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2004 9:56 am 
Tournament Grade

Dutchboy wrote:
It goes between your bottle and your charge bar, and looks like this:

HTH, Dutch

Nope! ain't got one of those. Didn't see them on the MEC site either. Where do you get them?

PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2004 10:49 am 
DELETED

PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2004 11:20 am 
Shooting Instructor
Shooting Instructor

Check out the link below. It shows the MultiScale charge bar and their baffle.
http://www.chrony.ca/multi-scale/

NAHC Life Member
VA State Shooting Association Life Member
NRA Certified Instructor in Rifle, Pi$tol, and Home Firearm Safety
NSSA Level I Instructor
NSSA Official Referee