CalendarCalendar   Photos  * FAQ
It is currently Thu Jul 24, 2014 12:44 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Trulock vs Carlson
PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2010 2:36 pm 
Tournament Grade

I was considering Carlson chokes for my new waterfowl gun (Baikal MP-153) but then I found this on their site about their Sporting Clay Choke Tubes “Carlson’s Sporting Clay Choke Tubes are extended choke tubes that feature a 25% longer parallel section which gives the shooter a tighter and denser pattern.”
Does anyone know if the cylindrical part of the choke is longer on a Carlson than they are on a Trulock?

Post subject: Re: Trulock vs Carlson
PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2010 3:21 pm 
Crown Grade

I have a set of Carlson's extended steel shot chokes. Except for the black color, they are identical to the silver colored sporting clay chokes and are very good chokes. The length is about the same as Trulock extended chokes.

Last edited by lossking on Thu Apr 29, 2010 7:58 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2010 4:03 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Use the chokes that came w/ the gun. They're free.

Every choke maker say there choke is best ......it's just marketing.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2010 4:16 pm 
Tournament Grade

They will possibly work with lead, but we are not allowed to use lead in DK
I’ve done some patterning with steel with the original extended chokes, I would prefer a better pattern than they gave me :roll:

PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2010 5:55 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

I agree with SERA. I bought a set of Carlson chokes and see no improvement in patterning. In fact, the modified choke doesn't give as good a pattern as the factory chokes.

Laziness....The habit of resting before you get tired.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2010 8:35 pm 
DFW Dominant Predator

You have to spend lots & lots of money on choke tubes for them to be any good, The more expensive they are, the better :wink:

Just Kidding......Carlson's and Trulock's tubes are like family, they look a lot alike.....

performance, one is as good as the other, I have had both one way or another.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2010 8:34 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

I stand ready to be flamed. I have my fire-proof suit on.

My advice: Toss the tubes and buy a PolyChoke II. I have only one gun that is threaded that PolyChoke doesn't make a Poly II for. For it, I have a set of facotory tubes that cost $8 apiec in the box from Numrich's. I also have a set of Carlsons. I have patterend them all. I can't tell them apart on the pattern board. The full gives me a full pattern, etc.

I will until I hang up up my guns use Poychokes. I have used them over 50 years and find tubes to be a "thorn in the flesh". It matters not that others agree with me.

I like their patterns. I like their looks. I don't have a tactical gun but they do look mean on a tactical. Some of the newer shotgun introductions are so ugly that a Polychoke would help their looks. Of course, theri ain't a lot of beauty contests where I shoot.

I have won many turkeys, hams, and prizes shooting against the guys at Thanksgiving turkey shoots. with my old SKB 900 with a Deluxe Polychoke installed over forty years ago. I had the 28" barrel cut down and had the Polychoke installed by Poly with an overall length of 24". That gun has been one of my favorites.

I have my asbestos suit on, so fire away.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2010 12:03 pm 
Tournament Grade

Thanks for your great info, you will not be flamed by me :wink:

How much does the Poly-Choke II weigh compared to a Trulock or a Carlson in extended?

Have you tried to pattern with steel?

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2010 12:37 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

I've never used steel shot. Polychokes are steel rated. They weigh very little. To me, it is a moot point.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2010 2:10 pm 
Tournament Grade

In general it is not easy to get a nice pattern with steel and we are not allowed to use lead here in DK

PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2010 8:31 pm 
Crown Grade

I use what comes with the gun.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2010 9:17 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Carlsons are good chokes I have them for all my guns. I find the extended tubes are easier to change out and I prefer the balance they give the gun, might be in my head but I can tell a difference.

Carlsons is also a small family run business and Scott is a great guy. He used to do all my gunsmithing until he closed his storefront to conentrate on his Choke tube business.

"I dare do all that may become a man; Who dares do more , is none"
Bill S.

PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2010 4:15 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Flip a coin between Trulock vs Carlson. I have used both brands and they are excellent quality choke tubes in my opinion. If you take a look at the tubes they practically look identical. When shopping them against each other I most always go for the cheaper price because they are both solid products with good support. I agree with Chaco1 preferring the extended tubes because they are simply easier to change out. And one can also see in an instance which choke is in the gun if you have a senior moment regarding memory...:lol:

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2010 1:10 am 
Field Grade

I don't know anything about trulock so I want bash them but here's a story about carlson's. i couldn't find any where i live but while i was on vacation in destin i stopped in there bass pro. they had a carlson's for a sbe 2 and the guy behind the counter told me it would work in my xtrema 2. anyway long story short the barrel diameters are different and even though they will thread in you don't get the constriction listed on the tube. so i call carlson's explain the situation and that i accidentally threw the packaging away and the guy says, " no problem here's the mailing address blah blah mail it to me with $5 for shipping and i'll send you what ever you want for your xtrema 2. So I give there customer service a 10. that was only 4 days ago so i'm still waitin for my choke tube.

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2010 6:04 am 
Presentation Grade

lablover25 wrote:
I don't know anything about trulock so I want bash them but here's a story about carlson's. i couldn't find any where i live but while i was on vacation in destin i stopped in there bass pro. they had a carlson's for a sbe 2 and the guy behind the counter told me it would work in my xtrema 2. anyway long story short the barrel diameters are different and even though they will thread in you don't get the constriction listed on the tube. so i call carlson's explain the situation and that i accidentally threw the packaging away and the guy says, " no problem here's the mailing address blah blah mail it to me with $5 for shipping and i'll send you what ever you want for your xtrema 2. So I give there customer service a 10. that was only 4 days ago so i'm still waitin for my choke tube.

Trulock's customer service is excellent! Friendly & very knowledgeable. I'm still pattern testing the Precision Hunter light modified and improved modified tubes that I bought for my Benelli Vinci & 20ga Benelli Cordoba. I can't wait to use them for hunting this fall.

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2010 10:32 pm 
Tournament Grade

Quote:
Every choke maker say there choke is best ......it's just marketing.

I humbly beg to differ.

The IM Trulock choke I purchased for my 11-87 is lightyears better than the stock Remchoke tubes that came with the gun. Like shooting a completely different (and better) gun.

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2010 1:34 am 
Field Grade

just wanted to say i got my carlson's tube in the mail today and will let ya'll know how it patterns very soon.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 02, 2011 7:50 pm 
Limited Edition

Don't own any Carlson choke tubes...not to say that I won't buy them, just found Trulocks 1st and absolutely admire the results.

My Remingtons - the OEM Remchokes work great...pattern well and consistently.

My Browning Inv +...that's another story; the Trulocks improved my %'s and pellet counts dramatically. On the pattern board, it is amazing. I'm not sure why the Inv + are so poor, but if they were all I had I would survive.

As a matter of fact, I bought a couple for my brothers as birthday presents last year because they've always been OEM stuff is fine. One of my brothers said, "there's no good extended choke under $40"...until I showed him the Trulocks.

Either should work for you, but if your pattern board gives you great results, stick with what works for you. It's a shame I can't hit flying birds like I can a pattern board! :oops:

PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2011 3:22 am 
Tournament Grade

Don't shoot any large pellet high speed load trough either Trulock or Carlson on a Baikal MP 153, my Carlson has expanded in diameter with Kent Fasteel (500 m/s - 1640 f/s) size 2#, the choke wall is too thin where they have constriction
The Poly Choke will work as the constriction begin outside the barrel

PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2011 6:26 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

I have shot bunches of patterns with Trulock, Carlsons, Brileys, RemChokes, and Browing Invectors, and I have found the performance to be totally dependent on the difference between the constriction and the bore diameters. Bore diameters and choke tubes will have a very slight variance in inside diameter, and that can make a difference in performance, but I found no difference in the quality of the tubes or their ability to perform. A longer parallel section did seem to make a slight difference with lead target loads, but I didn't fool around with those much. I got a RemChoke and a Trulock with dented threads, and I got an Invector with no wrench notches, and once Briley sent me the wrong tube. All of them sent me a replacement tube after a phone call post haste, no questions asked. Briley offered to send me postage to return the wrong tube, but I was already to ship it back in a padded envelope for less than two bucks so I told them to forget it, and so they sent me a little five tube case for my trouble.
Years ago I was getting custom choke tubes from Ralph Walker and a guy in Oklahoma - they would make them in increments for me - when I was pursuing the last word in long range loads with nickel plated shot. In one instance I found 0.003" difference in constriction make a 15% difference in patterns. I couldn't believe it myself, so I retested it with the same result. After who knows how many dollars, I finally got within 2% at 75 yards of a fixed choke Remington Wingmaster I had sold in a moment of blinding stupidity. I knew it was good, and I had measured every part of that barrel six ways from Sunday, but I could never match it. I have had 5 Wingmasters since, and several 1100 barrels, and even though a couple of those measured the exact same dimensions, they couldn't match it either. My current Light Contour barrel with a flush RemChoke is only 4% off that one gun at 40 yards with the last of those same old handloads, just for testing. I don't shoot steel anymore, and I can't shoot nickel plated lead at waterfowl. After who knows how many dollars, highly polished overbored barrels, lengthened forcing cones, and choke tubes by the box I finally gave up on getting back to that pinnacle. I wish I could say what the difference was, but I can't.
I had a PolyChoke once; can't stand them. There is a reason all those old guns with PolyChokes sell for less money. There are a lot more guns with PolyChokes than there are PolyChoke lovers.