CalendarCalendar   Photos  * FAQ
It is currently Fri Oct 31, 2014 9:18 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Not hunting. Game warden problems?
PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2010 11:44 pm 
Utility Grade

New to this forum and this is my first post. {hs# My question is, If I am not hunting and I am out target shooting / plinking will a game martial give me static about the plug not being in my rifle to limit the rounds. In California you can only be capable of a total of 3 rounds when hunting I do not hunt nor have I ever ( nothing against it. I just dont hunt). I can see him asking me what Im doing, to see the gun, and all but if i am clearly not hunting why would he bother me about not having the plug in? Any information would be great. Thanks.

Oh and the shotgun is a Remington 1187 12 gauge.

Post subject: Re: Not hunting. Game warden problems?
PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2010 1:36 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Depends. If you are at a regular shooting range (skeet, trap, sporting clays, etc.), there should be no problem EXCEPT that most ranges allow only two shells in a gun. If, on the other hand, you are just out in the country somewhere, you may get some "static" if your gun is inspected. The game warden would have no idea whether you might be hunting rather than plinking.

That said, I suspect you would just get a warning as it would probably be difficult to prove that you were hunting (unless you have a game bird or animal in your possession). Given that you are in California; however, I suppose anything is a possibility. Why not just leave the plug in and load the gun a little more often?

Romans 8:1

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2010 2:47 am 
Utility Grade

Guess that's true. Whats 2 more shots? I didnt know about the skeet 2 shot rule. I am VERY new to shotguns. My first one ( the Remington 1187) shows up in the mail tomorrow :)

Only other problem plinking in the boonies I can see is I dont have a hunting permit.

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2010 3:20 pm 
Crown Grade

The first thing a game warden is going to do if he thinks you might be hunting is ask to see your hunting license. I would think since you don't hunt, you don't buy a hunting license. I am not a lawyer & I don't know California law but if you can't convince him that you are not hunting & you have no license, I don't think it will matter how many shells are in your gun. Call the California game department & ask them what you need to do to stay out of trouble. They are just people like me & you & I am sure they will be happy to explain the law to you.

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2010 9:02 pm 
Shooting Instructor
Shooting Instructor

Loogaroo wrote:
Only other problem plinking in the boonies I can see is I dont have a hunting permit.

Don't forget to ask permission from the land owner.

Endowment Life Member NRA, NRA Certified Firearms Instructor (Rifle,Shotgun,Handgun), Georgia Hunter Safety Instructor, Boy Scout Merit Badge Counselor (Rifle,Shotgun). MOTTO: "Molding Young Minds Is The Future" & "I'm The NRA"

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2010 6:29 pm 
Utility Grade

Oh fore sure! Don't want to tresspass and for sure not with a weapon! Nothing but bad news there. My current spot is lost to me as there is new construction going on. So I guess I am hunting. Fir a new spot that is.

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2010 10:45 pm 
Diamond Grade

Loogaroo, you probably need to join a gun club. I would ask all your questions in advance, "Do you allow plinking?" "Do you have a special range for sighting in/patterning a shotgun?" "Are your facilities open when it's convenient for me?" etc.

In Minnesota I know State Forest land was legal target shooting as long as you were in compliance with all the other laws. That is probably not the case in Calif, but I don't know. National Forest may be promising, call the local US Forest Service office nearest you and find out. I've always shot on land I was "pretty sure" was legal and certain was public. :wink: Or on my own - well, technically Grandpa's, later my Mom's but someday to be mine - land.

-Dave

PostPosted: Sun May 09, 2010 2:35 am 
Crown Grade

When I lived in CA the forests where good to go with very simple guidelines.A certain number of feet from the road, no shooting into campgrounds or housing, no shooting across water...common sense stuff but not complicated.

PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2010 3:19 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Loogaroo wrote:
New to this forum and this is my first post. {hs# My question is, If I am not hunting and I am out target shooting / plinking will a game martial give me static about the plug not being in my rifle to limit the rounds. In California you can only be capable of a total of 3 rounds when hunting I do not hunt nor have I ever ( nothing against it. I just dont hunt). I can see him asking me what Im doing, to see the gun, and all but if i am clearly not hunting why would he bother me about not having the plug in? Any information would be great. Thanks.

Oh and the shotgun is a Remington 1187 12 gauge.

It not an easy answer, The State has areas for the california condor that is now non lead zones, commonly people plinking around with a shotdun tend to "hunt" when something presents it self. not saying you do just generalizing. While you do not have to keep the plug in your shotgun if it is legal to hunt with (barrel lenght over 22inches) then you should keep your plug in at all times, with fish and game ignorance is no excuse so not knowing were you live in calif you ned to familurize yourself with the condor range to make sure your only shooting steel in those zones, now I know your not hunting and the rule really applies to hunting I do so think the rule is all shotguns hunting or not.. I digress i am unsure, this is a fickle state and my recomendation is to just dont give them an excuse and you should be way ok. what ever you do do not shoot at a bird or any ANY game whatso ever and you should again be ok.

Reloading Smiles one shell at a time!!!!!!!!!!!!

PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2010 6:28 pm 
Diamond Grade

Sounds like he was earning his pay. Did he summons you?

"You will receive power"
Acts 1:8

PostPosted: Sat May 29, 2010 4:04 pm 
Presentation Grade

Loo,
I used to be a residence of Ca. many years ago. Area's to go plinking safely and with no hastle are hard to find. BLM area's used to be good but now are restricted because of several factors..ex: Condor Rehab, Multi use zones for recreational bikers,hiking and so on. Best advise is to check with local municipal offices, BLM (Bureau of Land Management) and Fish and Game. As others stated check with local shooting clubs.

Even though you are not into hunting, keeping updated on current rules and state laws will help you not get hassled.

A few years ago, I was visiting some friends in Palm Springs. It happened to be Dove season and I went out with them not to hunt but just to observe. Well we were setting up a Clay launcher and I had my Shotgun(loaded w/no plug) leaning on the tailgate of my buddies truck. A warden walks up to us and decided to check our firearms. Off course I was the one to get ticketed because I broke (2) laws even though I was not hunting.

1. Unplugged shotgun in a hunting area
2. Loaded weapon in a vehicle

Long story shot. I lost in court and and paid the fine.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 05, 2010 7:45 pm 
Shooting Instructor
Shooting Instructor

Knowing the rules is important. In Kansas you cannot shot targets or sight in a rifle on wildlife management lands or Corps of Engineer lands and they will write a ticket on this. Getting involved with a gun club is the best way to have a place to shoot.

"A peculiar virtue in wildlife ethics is that the hunter ordinarily has no gallery to applaud or disapprove of his conduct. Whatever his acts, they are dictated by his own conscience, rather than by a mob of onlookers." Aldo Leopold