CalendarCalendar   Photos  * FAQ
It is currently Sat Nov 22, 2014 9:07 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: A400 Xplor Chokes?
PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2010 10:39 pm 
Crown Grade

Just picked up my new A400 Xplor this last weekend and was a little surprised that #1 It only came with 3 choke tubes and #2 the choke tues are Full, Mod and Cylinder, not IC but true Cylinder. Any body know Beretta's reasoning on this selection?? Don't get me wrong, I don't mind a Cylinder tube but why the change I guess?? Is it to provide a IC choke with the use of Steel shot maybe??
I also thought I'd mention that I do really love the gun though.
Strat

Post subject: Re: A400 Xplor Chokes?
PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2010 5:51 am 
Limited Edition

Picked one up Saturday, Best new auto on the market bar none. I'll have an answer on the choke situation maybe in a day. Midwest has the IC in stock. IC is what I use all the time. If this new bore shoots anything (or better) than the optima plus it will be great. Some of my best patterns come from the Optima Plus bore.

The A400 will set a standard by which all auto's will be built in the future

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2010 11:16 am 
Crown Grade

Great!! I have to agree with you. I started out with the first Beretta AL1 in Washington State back in 1972 it was the original and GREAT Great Grandfather of the Beretta Gas Auto shotguns and it was the best gas auto back then too and I then I shot PITA Trap in the late 1970's with an AL2 Monte Carlo Trap or maybe it was a 302 Trap but it was the best gas gun then as well, I did really like my Winchester Super X1 too though.
I was surprised to get only these 3 chokes with it though, my 390 and 391's and my Benelli's have usually come with 5 chokes, even my current SBE II with the CRIO choke system came with 5 choke tubes. Do please keep me posted on your findings.
Thanks!! Strat

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2010 8:49 pm 
Limited Edition

I too was disappointed to find only one "useful" choke...Mod. I never use the factory full. If I planned to turkey hunt, I'd buy aftermarket extended. The Cyl might be useful on the skeet range, but I don't shoot much skeet. IC, Light Mod and Mod are in all my guns except my turkey gun.
I ordered a LM extended from Teagues in England, but it wasn't cheap. None of the US makers had any extended offerings a month or so ago...I don't know whether Briley, Carlson's etc have caught up with the new threads or not. Frankly, I wish Beretta had left well enough alone with the Optima+, but that wouldn't generate any extra $$$. did you get the KICKOFF model? If so, you need a special torque driver, "allen wrench style" to take the KO off and change the drop/cast shims.

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2010 9:31 pm 
Crown Grade

[quote="jwells"]I too was disappointed to find only one "useful" choke...Mod. I never use the factory full. If I planned to turkey hunt, I'd buy aftermarket extended. The Cyl might be useful on the skeet range, but I don't shoot much skeet. IC, Light Mod and Mod are in all my guns except my turkey gun.
I ordered a LM extended from Teagues in England, but it wasn't cheap. None of the US makers had any extended offerings a month or so ago...I don't know whether Briley, Carlson's etc have caught up with the new threads or not. Frankly, I wish Beretta had left well enough alone with the Optima+, but that wouldn't generate any extra $$$. did you get the KICKOFF model? If so, you need a special torque driver, "allen wrench style" to take the KO off and change the drop/cast shims.[/quote]

I did get the kick-off and thank you, that's good to know. I actually called Beretta USA and they told that they had no idea why only 3 choke tubes and no IC as one might expect with only 3 tubes, the guy on the phone at Beretta USA just kinda kept jokingly blaming "some guy in Italy" when I asked these very questions, so they are at just as big of loss as we are on Beretta's reasoning, one thing that I do know is that it certainly isn't because of the attractively afforable low price. LOL!! But all this considered I still really do love the gun, it's awesome.
Strat

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2010 10:07 pm 
Limited Edition

Hey, I like it too! I bought the 26" with KO and find it a little stock heavy, balance wise. I think the 28 might be a better choice with the KO. i haven't shot any heavy loads yet, to see what impact(or lack of) it has, but my guess is there will be some muzzle jump with waterfowl loads.
I like the slimmer forearm compared to the Extrema2. I tried a C&H mercury reducer which had purchased for a 391 and found that the threads on the magazine cap are the same. It fits perfectly and would serve to add forward weight to the gun if needed for heavier loads. I have only shot mine on one occasion, but hope to remedy that this weekend.

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2010 10:59 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Optima Plus? The A400 has the same bore as the Optima, (without the plus).

Oversize bore, the same as the Optima/Crio, both without the Plus. It takes the same choke as the newer UGB Excel, Optima HP, (for high performance). My first UGB, trap model is the regular Optima, and the best choke I have found for it so far is the Ti. Briley Mod. But I do have a Muller coming for it. The second UGB is the sporting model with the Optima HP. While I prefer it, and most certainly with the Mullers, it is another choke type to keep straight.

SC, or upland, buy a Muller U2 and you are good to go. (They won't come loose like all the others, either).

Skeet, the U1, (you will love it!), or trap, the U3. Back fence Annie Oakley's, the U4.

They, (the Mullers), clean like a dream. Everything just wipes right out! I have actually quit even doing so. Unscrew it, (aluminum with teflon/ceramic coated), and run a bore snake through the bore. Screw it back in and done. Rated for steel shot, although I haven't and likely won't use it.

NRA Benefactor

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2010 8:17 am 
Limited Edition

Really like my A400 28" KO version. I ordered factory IC choke from Midwest that's just about all I upland hunt with. Have both the Xtrema 2 and A400 close in build but the Xtrema still a warhorse. The A400 very quick and fast in every aspect, What a Gun!!!!

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2010 11:25 am 
Crown Grade

[quote="dovebuster"]Really like my A400 28" KO version. I ordered factory IC choke from Midwest that's just about all I upland hunt with. Have both the Xtrema 2 and A400 close in build but the Xtrema still a warhorse. The A400 very quick and fast in every aspect, What a Gun!!!![/quote]

You've definitely have the Dynamic Duo alright. I had a first generation Extrema and it was a terrific gun but I liked the slimmer feel of the SBE II so I gave it to my son, the newer Extrema II feels better to me as well. I am interested in seeing the new A400 Xplor Sporting and Waterfowl guns but for now I'm going to shoot clays with my new A400 Xplor, Beretta says that it will hold up to that just fine. Did you get your new IC choke yet??

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2010 6:56 pm 
Limited Edition

Yes, recieved it Monday. Nicely packaged by Beretta installed it last night.

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2010 7:12 pm 
Crown Grade

Great!! I just talked to Comp N Choke today and I'm going to pick up a couple of extended chokes from them, I want a little additional barrel length and weight that the extended/ported chokes will help provide. I've had very good results from their products in the past. I gonna start out with a IC and Imp. Mod.
Strat

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2010 8:45 pm 
Limited Edition

Stratoliner, How did you talk to someone at Beretta??? I can't get a human on the phone. Can you give me step by step directions?

Thanks,
BOB

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2010 9:09 pm 
Crown Grade

It took a long time. First they refer you to another # for firearm questions ect. and all that # will get you is a website to look up your local service and repair center and they are actually very helpful but to actually talk to Beretta I actually went back to the orignal # and carefully listened and I think I heard something like for general help or something like that and pushed that number and got a secretary after about a 5 minute wait on hold that again refered me to the other number again but she gave me an extention # to put in and after a brief 10 minute wait on hold I was actually able to talk to another human being who basically offered very little insite and really had no useful answers. The Beretta Customer Service at the company level really sucks. But they sure make great guns.

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2010 9:55 pm 
Limited Edition

Keep me posted on the comp n chokes

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2010 10:01 pm 
Tournament Grade

I called beretta last year about some missing parts with my xtrema 2. the shim kit and the sling attachments were missing, they were very helpfull and sent my the parts quickly even a free catolog and a sling at no charge. I had went through my retailer and was given the run around, they said they could'nt get the parts. so when I did I shoved them in their face. they did'nt even try to get them. I have not made another purchase from them since.

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2010 11:08 pm 
Crown Grade

I have had good luck with Beretta Customer Service in the past but they are currently changing things around a bit, I think Brownells will be handling their parts/accessories, ect. now. If you can actually get a live person on the phone they can be very helpful but even then the A400 Xplor seems to be a mystery to even them.

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2010 11:47 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

stratoliner wrote:
Great!! I just talked to Comp N Choke today and I'm going to pick up a couple of extended chokes from them, I want a little additional barrel length and weight that the extended/ported chokes will help provide. I've had very good results from their products in the past. I gonna start out with a IC and Imp. Mod.
Strat

CNC chokes were my favorite choke for the last couple of years, but they are now stashed away. Likely never see the light of day again. The Mullers just totally blow them away! And actually cost less. Plus being a whole bunch cleaner.

It's now Muller when I want light and PolyChoke II when I need heavy or faster changing, on a one barrel gun. And neither of them have that nasty habit of coming loose and backing out.

NRA Benefactor

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2010 12:56 am 
Crown Grade

[quote="jugchoke"][quote="stratoliner"]Great!! I just talked to Comp N Choke today and I'm going to pick up a couple of extended chokes from them, I want a little additional barrel length and weight that the extended/ported chokes will help provide. I've had very good results from their products in the past. I gonna start out with a IC and Imp. Mod.
Strat[/quote]

CNC chokes were my favorite choke for the last couple of years, but they are now stashed away. Likely never see the light of day again. The Mullers just totally blow them away! And actually cost less. Plus being a whole bunch cleaner.

It's now Muller when I want light and PolyChoke II when I need heavy or faster changing, on a one barrel gun. And neither of them have that nasty habit of coming loose and backing out.[/quote]

Hey Jug!! Thanks for the good input, I hope Poly Choke offers a PC II for the A400 Xplor, I love using them on my 26" barrels to create a better handling and balanced Clays Gun and it would really help with my 26" barreled K/O A400, it would be perfect. I'll take a better look at the Muller chokes as well.
Thanks Buddy!!
Strat

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2010 9:40 pm 
Diamond Grade

Beretta customer service is great when you actually talk with someone. I've found out that e-mail and leaving messages gets you nowhere quick. But, I found out that you have to call early in their day and I've gotten right through. My issues were small and were resolved very quickly. I could not be happier with my two target 391 autoloaders.

Are you guys saying that your new 400's with 3 1/2" chamber autos have been cycling light target/skeet loads without any issues. I'm hoping to see a target version. Any word of a target version?????????

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2010 10:29 pm 
Crown Grade

Yes, they cycle anything you put in them (anything) and yes I talked to them about a Clays and Waterfowl model and they told me that a camo version is forth coming and that the Clays model is coming as well but it is the exact same gun only it's available with a 30" barrel and still no middle bead or any other difference, just a longer barreled version of the exact same gun is what I was told and I purposely asked him twice to make sure that I heard him correctly. These guns are awesome.