CalendarCalendar   Photos  * FAQ
It is currently Tue Jul 22, 2014 10:42 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Ballistol
PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2010 12:34 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Ran out of G-96 and haven't seen any locally. Got a can of Ballistol and have been using it the last few weeks. I must say, I think the Ballistol backers might have a strong case for Ballistol as a CLP. I've been fairly impressed by the stuff and gotten to where the smell doesn't faze me. The smell also seems to fade fairly rapidly.

Anyone know how it performs in cold weather?

Last edited by MGF on Mon May 10, 2010 11:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: Ballistol
PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2010 1:23 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

I love it.

We really don't have cold in South Louisiana.

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2010 1:28 pm 
Presentation Grade

I use it on all my guns. Have hunted Pheasant, Chukar and Quail in weather around zero with high winds and never had a problem.

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2010 3:52 pm 
Limited Edition

Have been using it for the last 7 or 8yrs in all kinds of weather. I've had zero issues with it. I guess I kinda like the fact that it's biodegradable as well. As to the smell, it has grown on me almost to the point of smelling as good as burnt powder but don't ask for my wifes opinion.

Jon

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2010 7:07 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

And if you cut yourself you can put it on that too. Seriously.

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2010 9:09 pm 

Virginian wrote:
And if you cut yourself you can put it on that too. Seriously.

That's what duct tape or electric tape is for, sealing up them cuts! I had a box of Duct Tape band-aids, good tough ones!

God Bless America<<<< LINK worth clicking

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2010 11:55 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Yipee ... I'm to the point where I not longer smell vomit, only black licorice!

I have to admit, it seems to be very nice stuff. Just cleaned out a little Bersa .380 that had a couple hundred rounds through it. Bore brush, gun brush, a few Q-tips and a few patches ... done. And spanky clean, too. {hs#

I could see this becoming my main stuff. Darned handy. Now I'm going to have to get some of the liquid, too. I could see where a little bottle in a traveling kit could replace a lot of other stuff.

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2010 8:19 am 
Presentation Grade

I just bought a gallon of this stuff. I use it for everything from Cleaning, lubricating, protecting all my guns to oiling squeeky door hinges and cleaning and conditioning leather seats in my cars. Even if you don't like the smell, it's gone in about an hour. The best price I've found on the gallon size is at: http://www.wisementrading.com/hunting/ballistol.htm

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2010 8:46 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

http://www.ballistol.com/product_Household.htm

I've never used it, but it sounds amazing...recommended for preserving wood furniture. Most gun cleaning products have to be scrupulously kept off the stock. Sounds like you could dunk your whole gun "Lock, Stock, and Barrel" :lol: , into a vat of Ballistol, and it would emerge clean and preserved.

Last edited by nody on Wed May 12, 2010 12:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2010 1:09 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

I read up on this somewhere. Will post a link if I get time. Have to head to work right now.

Apparently, the stuff is based on mineral, not petroleum-derived, oils. As to the medical ingredient, there is one in there. As I understand it, the inventor came up with the recipe, and it became the spec stuff for the the German army through WWII.

Also, I believe that particular ingredient is still OK'd for small cuts, etc., in Germany, but not so in the U.S., so it's not advertised that way here. Back to this subject later. Gotta run.

Last edited by MGF on Wed May 12, 2010 12:49 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2010 1:23 pm 
Presentation Grade

Here's a site that tells you everything you ever wanted to know about Ballistol and a few things you probably don't want to know. Click on each application and read all about it.

http://www.firehawktech.com/Ballistol/index.html

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2010 2:44 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

The stuff is great! Best part is you can get it on any gun part, wood, metal or plastic. It only helps and not hurts.

Illegitimis nil carborundum

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2010 3:42 pm 
Limited Edition

Hey, MGF,

Isn't mineral oil just a neutral and highly refined petroleum product?

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2010 12:45 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

I honestly don't know, but Wiki seems to agree with you:

"Mineral oil or liquid petroleum is a by-product in the distillation of petroleum to produce gasoline and other petroleum based products from crude oil. It is a transparent, colorless oil composed mainly of alkanes (typically 15 to 40 carbons) and cyclic paraffins, related to petroleum jelly (also known as "white petrolatum"). It has a density of around 0.8 g/cm3.[1] Mineral oil is a substance of relatively low value, and it is produced in very large quantities. Mineral oil is available in light and heavy grades, and can often be found in drug stores."

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2010 8:29 am 
Limited Edition

I once read where an individual claimed he used ballistol as a bait enhancer when fishing. I don't recall if it was soaked in it or just sprayed on in the field.

As for its use on rubber ?? If it is truly just mineral oil then this use would be somewhat questionable. I used mineral oil to lube the rubber and nylon o-rings in syringes until being advised by the manufaturer that this practice would cause premature failure of the o-rings. They advised vegetable oil instead and to stay away from petroleum products.

I do use ballistol for most any need that comes along. May just have to spray down a couple plastic worms. Jon

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2010 1:26 am 
Presentation Grade

Don’t use it for wood! As any other oil, it will make the wood dark. The same regarding leather, although it’s quiet nice to leather (if you prefer darkened leather).

Ballistol is the preferred oil for hunters in Germany since…. long, see here:

http://www.ballistol.de/english/index.php?page=02

90% (or more) of German hunters are using it. And as it is a natural oil (no mineral oil, no petroleum product) you can even drink it.

As far as the smell is concerned: it’s the right perfume for men.

Regards

Martin

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2010 11:06 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Upon further reading, I believe Martin is correct and mineral oil is not the base for Ballistol. My apologies for spreading mis-information.

Another cool thing, I noticed, though: It doesn't dry out your hands. Leaves 'em actually soft. So, another reason for Ballistol: Chicks dig it!

I'll probably grab another can of G-96 when I run across it, but it's nice to have another option ... and from the results I've gotten to date, this stuff really seems to work! Cleaned a 28 gauge Browning 525 yesterday after about 6 boxes of various shells (Kemen, AA, STS). Used nothing but the Ballistol ... bores look great.

Still have a couple .22s and .38 to clean from my vacation (they've already been wiped down and had Bore Snakes run through 'em, but I'm anal.) If this stuff keeps doing the job I've seen so far, I may be a total convert.

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2010 11:51 am 
Tournament Grade

I've heard that the black powder folks swear by this stuff. I use a 50:50 blend of Ballistol and water at the end of a range session to flush the corrosive salts out of my AR15 that's chambered for the combloc milsurp 5.45x39 ammunition. It works great - the water flushes out the salts, and the Ballistol starts the normal cleaning process. It does stink, though!

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2010 7:10 pm 
Tournament Grade

I've been using Ballistol for about 13 years now. It's good stuff for both my black powder and modern firearms. I've found a little goes a long way. I've also found it to be extremely good at penetrating and freeing up rusty bolts.

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2010 10:01 am 
Limited Edition

I'm still just a little confused about what Ballistol is composed of.

( I am not, by the way, questioning any of the claims made for its effectiveness)

The Ballistol pages to which a couple previous posters provided links do not really say what the oil component is derived from. The Ballistol page seems to suggest, without actually saying so, that Ballistol contains oil derived from coal. If that's true, then the oil could be said to be of "mineral" origin, but without being what is usually referred to as "Mineral Oil", which is a petroleum derivative. That page seems to have been written by someone who spoke English as a second language, or was originally written in German and then translated, which might account for some of the confusion.

More baffling to me are the claims that Ballistol's oil component is "natural".

"Mineral Oil", oil derived from coal, vegetable oils, or animal fats would all seem to me to have an equal claim to "naturalness" as all are ultimately derived from "natural" materials, and all would seem to require some amount of processing to be useful as lubricants.