CalendarCalendar   Photos  * FAQ
It is currently Sun Dec 21, 2014 7:04 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Mossberg 500 Roadblocker... Muzzle brake removable??
PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2010 12:48 pm 
Utility Grade

Hi I'm pretty new to guns and shotguns and I was wondering if the muzzle brake on the 500 Road Blocker is removable? And if so how do you get it off.

Post subject: Re: Mossberg 500 Roadblocker... Muzzle brake removable??
PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2010 11:19 pm 
Presentation Grade

If you don't already own one, the best choice might be to avoid the issue all together by purchasing a more conventional Mossberg 500. The Road Blocker is not an especially practical gun and the muzzle break on it is not very functional. If you do a search on it, there is another thread about that gun somewhere.

I haven't seen one up close so I am afraid I can't answer your original question but at least this bumps your post up.

Welcome. If you're new to guns (or even if your not) you will find lots of good info here.

RJM

edited for spelling

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2010 12:23 pm 
Tournament Grade

From the looks of it, it appears to be screwed then pinned on attachment. If the barrel is 18.5" with the attachment then it's best to try and sell the barrel and just purchase a home security barrel (plain) as they are called.

The brake has ports in it which dont count towards the full length of the barrel, only the muzzle end. So it's not slipped on or anything. And if you somehow unpin it and remove it, then it's a short barreled shotgun once the new muzzle is less than 18" and you better have the ATF approved stamp to go with it. In other words, it ain't worth trying to remove.

Best and easiest option is to buy a security barrel which are cheap and plentiful and put yours up for sale if you already own it.

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2010 12:36 pm 
Diamond Grade

Call this number (615) 896-2938 and they'll tell you the best way to deal with that brake.

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2010 12:38 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

GDubya wrote:
Call this number (615) 896-2938 and they'll tell you the best way to deal with that brake.

OUTSTANDING!

The best way to deal with that brake is to get a conventional stocked regular barrel shotgun in the first place.

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2010 12:46 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

If you take that thing off you're going to completely ruin its value as a boat anchor.

http://www.weaponevolution.com

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2010 12:52 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

The pistol grip might still be able to find purchase in the lake bottom but not near as well as the sides of the brake.

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2010 8:53 pm 
Presentation Grade

the break can be removed. It takes a special tool and is tourqed on to about 100 foot pounts.

It will look something like this once you have it off.

Not that I know were this design orginated, just not happy were it went :oops:

Worlds most expensive Mossberg 500:

PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2010 1:32 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Location: It is the tradition that a Kentuckian never runs. He does not have to. (1931)
Mossberg apparently does not have the specifications listed on their website for the #50591 Roadblocker, but elsewhere I found that the barrel length is 18.5" with the muzzle brake and the overall length is 28.75". So I understand that to mean that the barrel length including the muzzle brake is 18.5" because the overall length of #50591 matches the 28.75" OL of the Mossberg JIC Cruiser. If that reasoning is correct, the Roadblocker muzzle brake is permanently attached, because if it could be removed the remaining barrel would be under 18", creating a SBS. So because the muzzle brake surely is permanently attached, BATFE could put that barrel in a vise and take a pipewrench to the muzzle brake, and the barrel would be destroyed before the muzzle brake weld fails.

Do yourself a favor and consider the Mossberg #50665 590 Special Purpose, 9 shot, 20" barrel, matte blue finish, heat shield, bead sight, and a black synthetic SpeedFeed stock that holds four extra shells so that you can skip a sidesaddle and have a gun with good balance. And replace the bead with a XS Big Dot tritium sight, and put a good two-point sling on it. Good luck, tdk213, and welcome to the Basement!

PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2010 11:31 am 
Presentation Grade

wfb18 wrote:
Mossberg apparently does not have the specifications listed on their website for the #50591 Roadblocker, but elsewhere I found that the barrel length is 18.5" with the muzzle brake and the overall length is 28.75". So I understand that to mean that the barrel length including the muzzle brake is 18.5" because the overall length of #50591 matches the 28.75" OL of the Mossberg JIC Cruiser. If that reasoning is correct, the Roadblocker muzzle brake is permanently attached, because if it could be removed the remaining barrel would be under 18", creating a SBS. So because the muzzle brake surely is permanently attached, BATFE could put that barrel in a vise and take a pipewrench to the muzzle brake, and the barrel would be destroyed before the muzzle brake weld fails.

The barrel is listed as 18.5" which is correct. The barrel is basicly the same barrel as the Tactical (below) with differant machining steps to finish the barrel. It does not include the "brake" in the measurement and if you look closely you can see the jam nut that retains the brake.
The Rolling Thunder also uses the same barrel machined the same as the road blocker, but with a differant muzzle device. They do however list the barrel as 23" vs. 18".

Look closely at the 18" Mariner and you can tell that the threaded portion of the barrels inside the muzzle devises will also come out at 18", so the barrels are 18", but the devices are longer.

PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2010 12:04 pm 
Welcome to the Basement tdk213 {hs#

I think you will find that most of us here have a pretty low opinion of pistol grip only shotguns with Hollywood stuff hung on the muzzle. Not because we object to anyone owning whatever floats their boat, but because we tend to be a bit more practical in our approach to defensive shotguns.

The advice you'll usually get on here is as follows: "If it is for fun and won't be used to protect life, do whatever makes you happy. If it is meant to save a life, we recommend a more practical solution." To us, Roadblockers are pretty much toys that have almost no uses in a defensive setting. Put a good conventional stock on it and somehow lose the junk on the muzzle (or change the barrel) and you have a good servicable defensive weapon. As above though, watch out for barrel length if you remove the brake. Stick a tape measure in the empty barrel (muzzle end) on the closed bolt to check barrel length. Check it three times to be sure it is empty before doing this. :wink:

Again, welcome. Pull up a crate and grab a cup of coffee. :D

PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2010 1:00 pm 
Utility Grade

Thanks for the replies... I do have the shotgun so other options arent really there right now. It is really more of a just for fun shotgun than a real tactical HD shotgun. I was just curisous to see if it would come off or not. Sounds like it might be a bit of a pain to take it off so I guess I will just leave it have fun with it and get something else if I really want to make a full tactical HD shotfun.

PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2010 1:05 pm 
Utility Grade

If I did want to get a more tactical HD shotgun... Would it be better if I were to just get a different barrel and stock for this gun or a whole new gun? Better in a value sence I'm sure I will get pretty similar performance characteristics either way.

PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2010 1:15 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Probably cheaper to get an 18.5" 500 barrel and conventional stock. But I've never stood in the way of someone wanting to buy another gun.
Havlin Sales carries 500 barrels, as does Brownells. Desert01 above might be able to help you out through Pro Patria as well.
The stock would just require you to pick out what meets your wants/needs.

http://www.weaponevolution.com

PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2010 1:42 pm 
Presentation Grade

you can get a short barrel from mossberg's website it is only $82
http://www.mossberg.com/products/access.asp?type=barrels&section=access

and a good stock might be $60 bucks or so. that is what i like about these shotguns, you can make them truly yours, they are so modular and have tons of after market stuff to do it.

PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2010 2:44 pm 
Tournament Grade

If anybody wants to get rid of a Roadblocker muzzle brake, I might be interested. I would put it on the end of a rifled barrel.

PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2010 5:39 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

It looks like you just need to borrow/improvise a spanner to get the locking ring off, and then the brake would unscrew.

PostPosted: Sun May 09, 2010 12:23 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Location: It is the tradition that a Kentuckian never runs. He does not have to. (1931)
Thanks, Desert01. I see what you mean... :)