CalendarCalendar   Photos  * FAQ
It is currently Mon Dec 22, 2014 2:26 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Mossberg 930 SPX: Range Report/Problems/Back to Mossberg!
PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2010 1:52 pm 
Field Grade

Well, after doing my research I ended up picking up a Mossberg 930 SPX (for 3-gun and for HD). I have been a Mossberg owner for many years with a couple pump action 500's, many barrels, etc. This is my first auto and after reading M24's review and many others I drank the Kool-Aid, played the front sight lottery and lost.

My 930 SPX was bought on Gunbroker (first mistake as I couldn't handle it before hand) for $575.00. I was happy with the price and didn't want to have to wait for my local gun shop to "maybe" get one in before the next century was over. Anyways, when I opened her up I saw that the front sight was slightly canted to the right (which is different then many others have found on theirs). It isn't canted bad, and I thought it may have just been in my head after reading so many threads with people having problems. I field stripped her, cleaned out all the “red” buildup in the barrel and chamber and then decided to head out the range and see how the sights really worked.

My first slug was 2 feet to the right and 2 feet low at 50 yards (Federal "Truball" slugs). This was with the ghost ring already adjusted to the left from the factory. After 25+ rounds of adjusting for elevation and drift to the left, I was maxed out on the ghost ring sights and was still 6-9" to the right! I have no more adjustment from the GRS. When I got home I did some more examining and not only is the front sight canted to the right ever so slightly but when I tension the rear GRS it itself cants to the right due to the mounting bracket pushing against the picitianny rail. I called Mossberg and the guy acted like this is a "new" problem and quickly told me to just send the whole shotgun to see if it was really canted.

Range Report: Overall I am pleased with the shotgun. I haven’t added anything yet but will eventually add a larger charging handle, a front barrel/magazine clamp, add a sling, an Eagle Industries Shoot Pack, Esstac side saddle, and possible the Choate pistol grip (not sure yet).
My intent was to group a couple different slugs from Federal and Remington (both LE, and low recoil), but after shooting 25+ my shoulder was getting tired and with this sights not sighting in, threw in the towel. I then went to the 25 yard line and shot some buckshot. I found Federal’s 00 Buck “Flight Control wad” to give me the best performance with a 4” spread out of a 18” cylinder barrel! All the other 00 Buck from Remington and Federal’s “non flight control” gave HUGE groups spanning the entire target with the majority of the pellets hitting the outside and NOT what I was aiming at. I then went to shoot some Fiocchi LE reduced recoil 00 buckshot. It almost seemed that the shell was too wide and had difficulty fitting into the chamber. I had to hand cycle each round as they didn’t cycle when fired. The real unfortunate thing is they had a GREAT group just slightly larger then the Federal “flight control” and I happen to have a couple hundred of them left over from a class (I will just have to save them for the pumps).
I then headed over to the steel pit and ran some Federal 2 ¾” 7.5 shot. The 930 cycled it fine and really helped me make quick follow-up shots that I wouldn’t have been able to do with the pump.
When I took her home I did my field strip and noticed that the magazine tube that attaches to the receiver was loose (from recoil) and will need some loc-tite. Overall I am happy with the fit and function of the gun. I ran 100+ shotshells through her and only had problems with Fiocchi(which others have reported as well). But, she is going back to Mossberg tomorrow to get the sights looked at.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Copy of my letter to Mossberg that is in the return box:

"Dear Mossberg Product Service Center,
I recently purchased this Mossberg 930 SPX on May 1st 2010 (sales receipt included).
When I took the 930 SPX to the range she would not sight in. Even with the sights adjusted all the way to the left it still groups 9 inches to the right at 50 yards with slugs. This is inacceptable. When I got home I noticed that the front sight is ever so slightly canted to the right and that the ghost ring sights shift when the final tension is applied for securing it to the picatinny rail. I believe it is a combination of these two sights that are causing the problem.
I then went onto multiple shooting forums to see if anyone has had these problems and found that this is a VERY common problem with the 930 SPX model. This is very frustrating to find out that this is a well documented problem from over 2 years ago and Mossberg shotguns are still leaving the factory without the proper QC being performed. I am disappointed with Mossberg I wasted 25+ Federal LE slugs trying to sight this shotgun in, and the return UPS postage to ship it back to you.
I have always had faith in Mossberg products and own quite a few shotguns from Mossberg. I trust you will be able to fix this problem and rectify the situation."

Last edited by Domestique on Thu May 06, 2010 5:00 pm, edited 4 times in total.

Post subject: Re: Mossberg 930 SPX: Range Report/Problems/Back to Mossberg
PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2010 3:01 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

First off, welcome to SGW and congrats on the new gun!!!

Secondly, if you haven't sent the shotgun back to mossberg, DON'T....

Call them back and insist that they send you just the new barrel, tell them, once it arrives you will pack up the "bad" barrel and you will ship it back in the same box and with the shipping label that Mossberg is going to provide.

When they resist (and they will), ask to speak to a supervisor (make sure to get names), let them know that you are not prepared to go without your new shotgun for several weeks while they "Figure out" that they're just going to replace the barrel anyway....

The "squeeky wheel gets the grease"

That way you can at least keep breaking the gun in...

Good luck and let us know how you make out...

Smitty

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2010 3:17 pm 
Field Grade

Smitty in CT wrote:
First off, welcome to SGW and congrats on the new gun!!!

Secondly, if you haven't sent the shotgun back to mossberg, DON'T....

Call them back and insist that they send you just the new barrel, tell them, once it arrives you will pack up the "bad" barrel and you will ship it back in the same box and with the shipping label that Mossberg is going to provide.

When they resist (and they will), ask to speak to a supervisor (make sure to get names), let them know that you are not prepared to go without your new shotgun for several weeks while they "Figure out" that they're just going to replace the barrel anyway....

The "squeeky wheel gets the grease"

That way you can at least keep breaking the gun in...

Good luck and let us know how you make out...

Smitty

I would do that, but I get the feeling that there is also a problem with the GRS mounting clamp. I can place the GRS flat on the rail and as soon as I start tightening the screw to pushes against the rail and becomes off-camber as well.

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2010 3:38 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Tell them to send you a new rear sight as well......

I'd rather let them try sending "parts" on their time & dime, than tie up your gun for a few weeks.

If the parts don't work, then you'll have to send the gun back anyway.....

Just a thought....

Smitty

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2010 4:15 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Smitty's right: try to get them to just send the parts. They will do it, although like an insurance company they have a procedure of denial that they go through first. Keep at it, be polite and persistent, and talk to a supe. Keep calling until you get your replacement barrel or your original barrel back.

http://www.weaponevolution.com