CalendarCalendar   Photos  * FAQ
It is currently Sat Nov 29, 2014 3:33 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Is there a special screwdriver to take an 1100 stock off?
PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2010 10:43 pm 
Tournament Grade

I have an 1100 with a very tight screw head holding the stock on. I can't seem to get enought pressure to keep the blade in the slot.It looks like there is a hole in the nut fore a guide shaft.So maby a special blade. thanks for any input. bcofmt .

Post subject: Re: Is there a special screwdriver to take an 1100 stock off
PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2010 11:20 pm 
Tournament Grade

They do make a special tool. You can get it from Brownells, or I think Midway has them too. They cost roughly $30. Google for stock removal tool,,or something like that.

Here's the one at Brownells. http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/pid=967/Product/SHOTGUN_BUTTSTOCK_BOLT_BITS

Everyone say's it's best to use the proper tool so you don't slip with the screw driver and split the stock.

Or if your like me, and have more time than money, you can make your own. You need a 3/4" x 3/8" drive deep well socket, and a large cheap screw driver. Preferably one with a square shaft. If you're not good with a bench grinder, this is not something you should attempt.

I ground off the wide part of the screw driver blade just enough to fit through the socket. Then grind off the point until the blade get's thick enough to fit the slot of the nut you're trying to remove. The socket work's great for stabalizing the screw driver so you don't slip. And if you use a square shaft screw driver, you can use an adjustable wrench on it. If this wasn't my only 3/4" deep well socket, I would JB Weld it to make it permenant.

I'd soak it down with your favorite penatrating oil. Then give it a try.

Last edited by Col_Cotton_Hill on Thu May 06, 2010 11:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2010 11:39 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

For the stubborn ones, I just stick a large flat impact driver bit (hollow ground) in the right sized 1-4" drive socket, put an extension on the socket, and turn the small 1/4" breaker bar, and I haven't had one that won't come loose. Yet.

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2010 12:27 am 
Tournament Grade

Thank you COL COTTON HILL, after you described your socket set up i figered out what i was looking for and went back to brownells and found it. thanks again bcofmt.

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2010 8:15 am 
Tournament Grade

In a pinch, I find a 5/8" spade bit can save the day as well.

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2010 11:26 am 
Tournament Grade

sledman8002002 wrote:

I like that idea. Will the point go into the hole in the nut, or do you have to grind it off. Heck, you could use the drill bit and a deep well socket together to prevent slipping.

When I took mine off I actually used a set up like Virginian, except I had it chucked up in my cordless drill. I set the clutch real low and let the impact action do the work, as I slowly increased the power setting. I then used my home made tool to tighten it back up.

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2010 9:42 pm 
Tournament Grade

sledman8002002 wrote:

I liked your drill bit idea so much, I had to make one. :mrgreen:

I squared off a 3/4" spade bit that I had laying around. Slipped it through a 3/4" deep well socket for added stability, and used a 7/32" x 1/4" drive socket to turn it. Worked great. :wink:

PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2010 9:03 am 
Tournament Grade

Nice job Col! Looks like a winner in my book. I find the point of most of the bits do indeed fit in the hole of the nut, but I do have one which has a threaded point and it will not.
Can't say I would have the nerve of using a power tool to remove the nut though...With my luck I'd snap the tube off the reciever on a stubborn one.
I'm going to have a look at my impact driver bits as that's a good one too. The actual tool would be nice to have, but I've never seen it offered for less than $35 and what we've all come up with works just fine IMHO.

PostPosted: Sun May 09, 2010 12:13 am 
Field Grade

Use a tire tool--the "L" shaped type with a socket on one end and a blade on the other for prying off the hub cap. A bit primative but it works well.

Ray

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2010 8:02 am 
Field Grade

The next time I order from Remington I am going to order a couple of these stock bolts. A couple of mine are worn from taking the stock on and off.

the 870Compman

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2010 8:26 am 
Field Grade

It's like deja vu!!! I just came here to post that I have a Rem 1100 stock wrench that I want to get rid of. I am cleaning out my gun room and since I no longer have an 1100, it is surplus. I paid quite a bit for it some time ago, but will let it go for $25.00 shipped and will throw in a couple of magazine caps that I think fit 1100, 11-87 and 870. I have a photo I can email to you.

Email me at cjkostic@hotmail.com if you are interested in the wrench.

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2010 9:43 am 
Tournament Grade

870compman wrote:
The next time I order from Remington I am going to order a couple of these stock bolts. A couple of mine are worn from taking the stock on and off.

the 870Compman

Remington has a new style nut. Action spring tube nut. Part # F201820.

http://www.remingtoncountrystore.com/PartsProductCompact.aspx?catalogid=1&categoryid=3564&productid=3285&topcat=1038

I asked the kid on the phone from Remington if it would work as an old style replacement. But he said he didn't know. I wonder if a regular nut fron the hardware store would work.

Dang it. I just ordered one measly sear spring from Remington and forgot to order the new style nut. Oh well. It's hell getting old. :roll: