CalendarCalendar   Photos  * FAQ
It is currently Fri Oct 31, 2014 8:10 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Rem 870 20 gauge slide release issue
PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2010 10:27 am 
Utility Grade

I have an issue with my Remington 20 g pump shotgun. I noticed yesterday that the slide release button was stuck in the open mode pushed up allowing the action to move quite easily. I racked the action completely and pulled the trigger (dry shot). The slide release was still pushed up. I took off the barrel and racked again and the slide release locked. I dry shot again and the slide release pushed up. I reconnected the barrel and racked again and the slide release locked, then dry shot again and the slide release pushed up again (unlocked). The slide release is still unlocked when it should be locked. Any thoughts? The gun is just over 2 years old and I ve never actually fired it. I know I shouldn't dry shoot but I m trying to figure out why the slide release button is remaining in the pushed up (open) position. Any help would be much appreciated before going to the gunsmith or calling Remington. Thanks

Post subject: Re: Rem 870 20 gauge slide release issue
PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2010 11:05 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Could just be a bit of crud in there, and a good cleaning would fix it.

There is an inexpensive spring that holds the action bar lock in position. If it is damaged or was improperly installed it might explain your symptoms.

You can download the 870 manual here: http://www.remington.com/pages/news-and ... nuals.aspx
It has disassembly instructions and a good exploded diagram of the parts.

You might want to try the Remington forum here.

More ideas:
http://www.thehighroad.us/archive/index ... 44879.html

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2010 4:08 pm 
Crown Grade

You won't hurt it by dry firing. I'd spray the receiver full of Breakfree CLP, then run the action back and forth a lot of times, and push the release in a lot of times, then take it apart and give it a good cleaning. Then take it out and run a hundred shells or so through it. I think your gun needs to be used! :)

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2010 6:35 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

I don't think there is anything wrong with it. When you pull the trigger that is supposed to release it. I think maybe you better read the owner's manual.

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2010 6:53 pm 
Limited Edition

Yep, what Virginian said. Think about it. If you fire the weapon, if the slide didn't unlock how would you cycle the action? It would be somewhat more than a little inconvenient if you had to fire, release the slide, cycle the action, etc.

I can't recommend strongly enough that you get a passel of shells and get yourself to a range. Whether the gun is for HD or hunting, or whatever, the actual time that you may need to use it is not the time to learn how.

If you have questions, there will almost inevitably be someone there that can help you answer them.

Glock Certified Armorer

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2010 8:49 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Virginian wrote:
I don't think there is anything wrong with it. When you pull the trigger that is supposed to release it. I think maybe you better read the owner's manual.

Good catch. I didn't read the OP closely enough and thought it was a random problem.

The manual does state:
WARNING! DO NOT pump the action
or pull the trigger repeatedly with the
barrel removed.