CalendarCalendar   Photos  * FAQ
It is currently Wed Apr 23, 2014 6:07 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: 870 Wingmaster prices?
PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2010 2:22 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

I have been looking for a decent Wingmaster for some time now, but can't seem to find anything that isn't priced through the roof for some reason. Are they that popular right now? I used to have one in the early 80's and
I have always regretted getting rid of it.

I am trying to find a Wingmaster with good blue on receiver and barrel. I don't care how good the wood is at all. In fact it can be broken because I have some very good wood to put on it. I would prefer Remchoke barrel 28" or 26", but not set in stone. Anyone have one they might let go reasonable?

Very Funny Scotty, now beam up my clothes!

Post subject: Re: 870 Wingmaster prices?
PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2010 7:02 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Took me about 5 months of looking to find waht I wanted about 20 months ago now. Cherry 1976 Magnum with a fixed full barrel. $245, delivered. I got a Light Contour 30" RemChoke barrel for $175, and I consider the combination perfect.

PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2010 8:40 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

bump

Very Funny Scotty, now beam up my clothes!

PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2010 9:05 am 
Presentation Grade

Have you checked out your nearby small town gun shops? I have found that the internet isn't the best place to buy run of the mill 870's.

PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2010 5:17 pm 
Limited Edition

do you ever go to gun shows and look? The Dixie gun show here in Raleigh NC had one about a month ago for 350 bucks. It had a fixed (full) choke barrel. the wood wasnt in real good shape. That is a great price for that gun, although im not much of a wood gun guy.

PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2010 5:31 pm 
Presentation Grade

Prices have been run up on Wingmasters due to all the grumbling (on SGW as much as anywhere else) about the poor quality of the 870 Express. When you compare the two closely you will see the quality Remington used to put into ALL their guns but now only special ones get the best hands-on treatment. Its almost like the current Wingmasters are custom shop guns and the Express is a assembly-line, journeyman product. Same design, just no quality fit and polish.

I was thinking what you could do is get a 870 Express, take it straight to a quality skilled gunsmith, have the insides polished and deburred, the trigger fixed, the chamber polished. Then see how it shoots.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2010 6:50 pm 
Tournament Grade

the older wingmaster is the true best buy and people are learning this; perhaps as a result of internet sites like this....
i'm in the middle of negotiations on a pristine 1965 wingmaster with brushmaster ic smooth bore 20" barrel and... i'm more excited about this than my new 870P.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2010 7:16 pm 
Crown Grade

I priced out about 20 stores in Michigan for brand new 12 gauge Wingmasters. The cheapest was $610 and the most expensive was $665. The local Gander had a sale on one that looked new for $550 recently. They have one used right now for $300. It has some dings and rust and some marks in the wood, but it does have a LC barrel with remchokes and a magnum chamber (I'm pretty sure). They have maybe 2 or 3 more that are the newer Wingmasters with the limbsaver recoil pads for around $450-500. The trend I observe is that they sure hold their value.

UMH

1911, Remington, and Beretta Enthusiast

PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2010 9:40 pm 
Crown Grade

Finding a used field gun in good shape can be tough. It's amazing how poorly some folks treat their guns!

In 2005, I bought a new 870 Wingmaster on clearance from Academy Sports for $419. At the time, its regular price was around $500. I was told Academy stopped carrying the Wingmaster because it was their slowest selling gun. The 870 Express was their best selling gun. :roll:

Hang in there - they've made over 10 million 870s to date - surely the right gun will turn up sooner or later.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2010 10:34 pm 
Tournament Grade

WinM12 wrote:
Finding a used field gun in good shape can be tough. It's amazing how poorly some folks treat their guns!

In 2005, I bought a new 870 Wingmaster on clearance from Academy Sports for $419. At the time, its regular price was around $500. I was told Academy stopped carrying the Wingmaster because it was their slowest selling gun. The 870 Express was their best selling gun. :roll:

Hang in there - they've made over 10 million 870s to date - surely the right gun will turn up sooner or later.

+1.... patience with diligence will prevail over logic and all else.