CalendarCalendar   Photos  * FAQ
It is currently Wed Jul 23, 2014 4:49 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Mossberg 930/935 trigger disassembly/reassembly w/ PICS
PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2011 8:04 pm 
Field Grade

My new 930 SPX has a trigger group that seems loose. It rattles a good bit if I grab it by the trigger guard and shake it. Any ideas on what I might do to tighten it up a bit?

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2011 7:36 pm 
Utility Grade

Great post, thanks for the work

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2011 7:37 pm 
Utility Grade

Great post, thanks for the work

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2012 11:11 pm 
Field Grade

Wow I've been absent for a loooooonnnggg time :D . Sorry for the long absence, I know I promised someone a breakdown of the Mossy 500 a long time ago. I don't know when or if it'll ever happen due to my continued absence from home. Regardless, thanks for all the positive feedback.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2012 8:27 am 
Utility Grade

Extremely helpful, thank you!

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2012 1:51 pm 
Field Grade

Sartorius and Smitty.

Important info: In photo #2 shows you holding the cross tube with a compression clip, that the rear Trigger Plate Pin goes through when the trigger group is reassembled; same for the front tube which holds the installed Shell Lifter.
When you reassemble the trigger group those clipped tubes, need to go back in the same way.
The tube/s has a crosscut on the end of the tube, a part of the inter edge of the clip, protrudes a tad inside each tube, that edge fits in one of the double groves on the end of the Trigger Plate Pin/s.

Look at the trigger group drawing in Mossberg Booklet, for proper orientation.

If the tubes and pins are not reinstalled as shown in photo #2 or the pins are reversed and/or you substitute a pin without the groves , the shell lifter will gouge the Left side of the receiver and jam the shell liter, causing a cocked trigger freeze or a jammed partial ejection, because the Trigger Group will wobble around like the proverbial Town Drunk

If you misplace one of the pin/s,don't shoot the gun until you have the correct Pin/s.

I used another Mossberg Pin, without the 2 groves and my problems began almost immediately. :( :oops:

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2013 6:08 am 
Utility Grade

I hate to bump an old post, but this is the best post on the topic here. THANK YOU.

As far as I can tell I put the whole trigger assembly back together right. I put the bolt and bolt carrier back into the riffle and that long pin slid into the recoil spring part right. I put the charging handle back into the bolt.>>

Now when I pull the charging handle back.. it should lock the bolt back into place and I would hit the button to release it again. Instead on mine when I pull the charging handle back, it wont lock into place.

Any idea what I might have done wrong??

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2013 6:47 pm 
Presentation Grade

I have a 930 on order. Thanks for sharing this info, I really appreciate it.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2013 4:34 pm 
Utility Grade

excellent job. Thanks!

PostPosted: Sun Jan 26, 2014 12:30 pm 
Utility Grade

Mr. Sartorius,
Thanks for the excellent post. What do you recommend on lubricating this assembly? I had a problem this weekend with my 930 where the trigger wouldn't reset after shooting a couple of rounds and eventually locked back. It was around 20 degrees, so my shooting buddies told me it was probably the lubricant freezing. The gun fired flawlessly before that point. When I got it back home inside the house it did seem to work properly. (I bought the gun used, so I have no idea what the previous owner did to lubricate it, but there was oil in the trigger assembly.)

I disassembled the trigger assembly, bolt, etc, and cleaned the parts using an ultrasonic bath of mineral spirits. It is now perfectly clean AND DRY. I have some G96 oil which goes down to -50 degrees F. I also have some Slip2000 which has a great low temp rating.

I do want to treat the parts against rust/corrosion, so what do you recommend?
I am thinking of wiping down all the parts with a oil-rag with G96 and not adding any additional lubrication at the pivot points, except maybe a little bit of Low Temp grease at the sear. Or should I run it dry?

As an aside, I found the ejector spring was rusty and caused the ejector not moving smoothly. I need to find a new ejector spring...is it the same as the 500 series?

Thanks, in advance.

Cody
Vienna, VA

PostPosted: Sun Jan 26, 2014 1:15 pm 
Utility Grade

I shot my used Mossberg 930 JMpro this summer at two 3-gun matches and had zero problems. Yesterday, shooting outside in 20 degree weather, the gun fired a few rounds then the trigger locked back and would not reset. My buddies think it was because of lubricant freezing up inside the trigger assembly. I brought it back home and waited for it to warm back up, and dry-fired the gun and it seemed to be working okay, but I did notice some weird movement of the manual safety before I got it to run again. (I am a little worried it might be a manual safety issue).

I disassembled the gun and removed the trigger assembly. I put all the parts into an ultrasonic cleaner with mineral spirits. I ran it about 8 minutes, removed them, disassembled the trigger assembly and dried everything off. The parts are now clean and DRY. I inspected the manual safety and it does seem to be working correctly, although I noticed the square block that moves up and down is not spring loaded and doesn't always free fall when the safety is disengaged. (I am not sure how the mechanism is actually supposed to work) I am hoping it's not a safety issue since it looks like a pain to remove it and replace it with a metal one.

Anyway, I have everything disassembled and am ready to put it back together but am looking for some advice on how to lubricate the parts and trigger assembly. I have some G96 which I use on my pistols that claims to lubricate down to -50 degrees before gumming up. I was thinking of using an oil-soaked cloth of G96 and wiping all the trigger assembly parts before reassembly primarily for corrosion protection and to lubricate the pivot points. I was then going to put a tiny amount of low-temp grease on the sear. But I am wondering if I should put another drop of oil on the pivot points or not. (I am leaning towards NOT). But maybe I should run this whole assembly dry?

Any thoughts or suggestions?

Also, during inspection I found the ejector spring in the bolt was rusty. I removed and cleaned it and the ejector seems okay, and the spring looks "usable" but I would rather replace it. Any idea where I can order a replacement spring? Is it the same as the 500 series ejector spring?

Also, I noticed a ring of grey material around t mag tube right where the barrel covers the mag tube for gas operations. Should I try to clean that off the outside of the mag tube or just clean it and ignore it?

I really love the 930 JMpro for 3-gun...very fast and low recoil...it has been very reliable...til now.

Thanks for any help.
Cody
Vienna, VA

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2014 6:13 am 
Utility Grade

This was an exceptional piece! I bought my 930 a couple of weeks ago; my first shotgun. Thinking my background in handguns and M16s was enough to help me disassemble the weapon for cleaning was a fool's errand, and ultimately left me with a jammed action. Your piece enabled me to drop the trigger assembly to correct the issue without the expense of a gunsmith. Thanks for your great work on this.

MC

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2014 6:15 am 
Utility Grade

Well done!

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2014 11:45 am 
Utility Grade

Thanks a million for these instructions. I just bought The Mossberg 930 used and started cleaning it, when 3 pieces fell out. I had no idea where they came from, until I saw your instructions here. It's the 3 pieces from the trigger assy. cup, pin and spring. I am so delighted. You have lifted a burden off my chest. All the Youtube videos I have seen, none ever showed what you just demonstrated. Thanks.