CalendarCalendar   Photos  * FAQ
It is currently Sun Dec 21, 2014 2:21 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: 1100 12 ga. Bolt Buffer Replacement
PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2010 2:21 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Hello All.
Well, my bolt buffer broke in my 1978 1100 Trap Gun, so was hoping for some help and advice so I don`t screw this up :lol:
Remington sent me a new one ( black) , and I also have a new retainer pin they sent me which is about 1/16" longer than the old pin.
I was hoping the hole for the pin would be pre-drilled, but that is not the case.
The O.D. of the pin is about 5/32", and I figure I should drill a little bit smaller hole through the buffer? (9/64" ?) The hole in the top of the bolt is 9/64".
Will the pin "Force-fit" into the 9/64" hole in the top of the bolt? ( when driven in by the bottom of course.)
Thanks!
Regards, Pete

Post subject: Re: 1100 12 ga. Bolt Buffer Replacement
PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2010 4:40 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

I would drill the hole 5/32" if that's what the pin is. All it's for is to hold it in the recess. The pins I have seen were tapered and smaller at the top, and went in from the bottom, and they had small ribs on them to swage them in place. I always reused the same pin. As hard as they came out I really wasn't too worried about one coming loose, and they haven't. I would not use a longer pin. If you want to use the new pin I would shorten it. The last one I got was pre-drilled. Of course it was white plastic too.
I do remember replacing one for a guy, and it was black and undrilled. I put it in the bolt and used the hole for a guide and drilled it from the bottom.

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2010 5:59 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Thanks Virginian!
I don`t know what I was thinking about. If I drill the hole at 9/64" , I will probably break the plastic when I try to drive the pin through it.
Also, I`ll take your advice and use the original pin. 1/16" isn`t much, but I realize that if the new one protrudes at all above or below the bolt I`ll be in trouble.
The white ones are pre-drilled? I wish I would have known that.
I`ll be doing it this coming weekend and post the results.
Thanks again for the help.

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2010 7:45 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

fclef wrote:
The white ones are pre-drilled?

They were 30 years ago. Make that 35.