CalendarCalendar   Photos  * FAQ
It is currently Wed Nov 26, 2014 10:02 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: concealable multi-barrel shotguns for defense
PostPosted: Sun May 09, 2004 3:18 pm 
Presentation Grade

The Hitman may be just a movie, but Chuck Norris is a real-life all-around all-American good guy for real. I saw this movie several years ago. The cover art is what attracted me to it. I rented it just to see Chuck weild that over/under shorty. I don't think it's a sawed-off. It looks like it's made short. It got me thinking about the possbilities of a square-formation (2x2) quad-barrel pepperbox shotgun with 10" or 12" barrels and a grip like an Ithaca Auto & Burglar Gun. It could have either a single selective trigger and a rotating firing pin or dual selective triggers and over/under-type firing pins (as if two over/unders put side-by-side). Are those called "falling firing pins?"

Anyway, is this feasible? The slim over-under would be better for concealment. I've read about detectives and such using compact concealable shotguns like whipits and whatnot (like the Ithaca 37 Stakeout), but these are even more compact than whipits because of the dimensions of the receiver.

I also thought of a triangular (1x2) tri-barrel pepperbox shotgun with exposed hammers that have extensions so they can be cocked all at once, two at a time, or one at a time.

Post subject: Re: concealable multi-barrel shotguns for defense
PostPosted: Sun May 09, 2004 3:27 pm 
Field Grade

Check out www.serbu.com

PostPosted: Sun May 09, 2004 3:29 pm 
Presentation Grade

I know about the Serbu Super-Shorty, but it's just not the same. I'm talking specifically about compact side-by-sides, over/unders, and pepperboxes.

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2004 8:41 pm 

Here's a couple:

Liberator:

Defender:

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2004 10:29 pm 
Presentation Grade

Remember when I mentioned the double-barrel blunderbuss of demented doom? Here's a pic of a non-firing replica of a double-barrel blunderbuss (scroll down to see it). Since it's a replica, it doesn't qualify for demented doom. :P Also check out the pic of a flintlock ax rifle replica.

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2004 11:03 pm 
Presentation Grade

Actually, being a police design, some models had a tear gas sprayer mounted in the center that could be fired by the forward trigger. Though a 37mm beanbag or baton launcher would be my preference :twisted:

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2004 2:29 am 
Tournament Grade

I remember seeing that sawed off over and under when I was like 13 and thinking how cool it would be to cut down my Grandpa's Citori to be like that. I still think a sawed off o/u would be more practical then a sawed of sXs...

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2004 3:07 pm 
Presentation Grade

That movie came out in 1991, so I deduce that you're in your mid-20s.

When I was at Knob Creek, there were Class II & III dealers and I saw short-barrel over/unders, side-by-sides, and pumps -- including but not limited to: the Wilson 00 Witness Protection Model (Remington 870-based) and the Serbu Super-Shorty (Mossberg 500-based). I also saw a Daewoo USAS-12 of demented doom! :mrgreen: I don't recall seeing an Atchisson Assault Shotgun or a High-Standard M-10A, though.

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2004 11:44 pm 
Field Grade

http://www.impactguns.com/store/aows.html

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2004 11:31 pm 
Tournament Grade

Before going out and dropping the pretty sizable amounts of money for an AOW, check local and state laws. The CCW law in Ohio states that you may not conceal a shotgun.

PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2004 7:50 pm 
Presentation Grade

Guardian wrote:
Before going out and dropping the pretty sizable amounts of money for an AOW, check local and state laws. The CCW law in Ohio states that you may not conceal a shotgun.

In that case, I'd probably go with a snub-nose Remington 870, Choate Mk.6 stock, Pachmayr Vindicator forearm (and pistol grip when not using Choate stock), and 14" barrel w/fixed Modified choke. Do they make 14" barrels with vent ribs? The Pachmayr Vindicator pistol grip would make a snub-nose 870 ideal for car defense. The Choate Mk.6 stock would be for home defense.