CalendarCalendar   Photos  * FAQ
It is currently Fri Aug 01, 2014 12:46 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Winchester Model 101 Value
PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2010 5:26 pm 
Utility Grade

First time poster...looking forward to spending more time with you folks. I was refereed to your site by The High Road....I'm sure some of you are familiar....

Anyways

My grandpa gave me his 101 and I'm curious of its value. He thinks it's from the 60s.

Winchester Model 101 12 gauge, serial number 728XX. Decent condition....my grandpa didn't really take care of his guns well so I'm sure it could use a solid clean on all the parts. Should this be blued? Some of the barrel looks like it needs some attention...but I don't know what kind. Simple rub with oil or more? There are a few nicks and bumps in the butt stock. But overall I think it's a sharp gun, really great color and balance and I feel honored to own it. It's a great shooter. Thanks for your time

There is a huge shadow where it says 'Model 101'

Post subject: Re: Winchester Model 101 Value
PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2010 5:53 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Welcome to SGW.
According to the Blue Book, your gun was manuf. in Oct. of 1964. The values, listed by condition are:
100%- $995.00
98%- $850.00
95%- $725.00
90%- $625.00
Subtract $60.00 if it doesn't have screw-in chokes.
Judging from the pics, it looks like a good 90% gun.
You could invest in a reblue or DuraCoat finish but it won't increase the value. I would just shoot and enjoy it, the way your grandfather probably did. Good shooting.

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2010 6:05 pm 
Utility Grade

Thank you for the reply. I'm not looking to sell the gun whatsoever, I was more curious of it's value in terms of rarity. It seems it's a pretty average gun though, which honestly is good because that means they did something right with it! I have a longer barrel Winchester, a Model 1300 that I love (also my first shotgun) so this is definitely a change of pace with it's older style and smaller barrel. But it's really accurate and a blast to shoot, especially since I know some of the history of the gun. Once again, thanks

PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2010 1:21 am 
Utility Grade

Joe,
I am a wierd sort I guess, but I love 101s. I shoot em, sell em, and every chance I get to pick one up affordably, I buy em ...The blue book doesn't do right by the 101(but geography does come into play here a wee bit). Fact is that the older (JAPANESE) 101s are very collectable in their own right, and they appreciate faster than anything else I know of bar none. I joke that they are the only merchandise I know of that makes me money whether I sell them or not, because they make money just layng on thr shelf appreciating... I collect them for this reason. I have Field grades(which is what you have) , Pigeons, Diamonds, Grand European(501s),
Trap Combos, Skeet Combos, Light Magnums, Light weight Pigeons, etc etc etc
If you go to some places in the USA some guns cost less there than thery might cost here and vice versa, hence the geography I spoke of. For instance, I know a fellow who buys as many Winchester lever action rifles as he can every time he goes to Oregon and Washington and brings them home to Va. for a quick $100-$200 profit on the average model '94 in 30-30Win. cal. He swears by this and I believe him, as I have seen a few of these little idiosyncracies mself. That said, the blue book can't keep up with appreciation of collectables fairly OR the geographic oddities.
Your gun looks to be in fairly good shape. If it is a Mod/Full choke it is worth about $1000 in Virginia (retail price* + or - a wee bit). It is probably worth considerably less in the midwest so I hear. 101s did not start screw in chokes until the late 70s or early 80s, so yours did not have them , and it has been my experience that in MOST cases, it is difficult to put screw ins into them, as the bbl walls are not thick enough to allow it safely. But I would not believe the thing about subtracting 60% without screw in chokes at all-- unless its on a late model 101; ergo a Belgian 101(which really is not a 101 at all)*--even the blue book gets room for errorsThe gun may be worth a tad more if it is in skeet chokes or trap chokes. But condition is everything in all of them; and yours looks pretty good, not much wear in the blue. I hope you love it as much as I love my 101s. Hell, I even gave my wife a 3 bbl Pigeon Grade skeet set for a wedding present.... And they say I'm not a romantic type...
* .(The Belgian 101s are like trying to make a 57 Chevy today---ya just can't do it!...That is my opinion--and ya know what they say about opinions---like a _ _ holes--everyones got one and most of em stink!)
Shep Burton
The Gunrunner,LLC
835 Va Bch, Blvd--->**new shop address**
Va Bch, Va 23451
shep@gunrunnerllc.com
757-353-8535(cell)
757-425-2936(office)
757-961-7330(shop)

PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2010 7:51 am 
Crown Grade

Sheppard burton,
Funny that you mention the 3bbl set in pigeon grade. My wife has the same set that I bought for her in the 80's. She is very fond of the 28 ga. She uses it effectively on doves here at the farm. She knows its limitations and is patient. Gets as many as us sky busters with 12ga.

PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2010 11:30 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

I am also a fan of the 101's. Had one just like that and shot it for 30 years. I did sell mine, but I replaced it with a Classic Doubles 101 which is the same gun but made after Winchester dropped the contract with them. I do not think that gun needs anything but wiping with oil. Actually, I like to wipe the whole gun down with furniture wax. What it is worth depends more on if you are buying or selling. I see dealers offering 500 and listing the gun at 1200 or more for a nice one at out local gun shows.

PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2010 3:12 pm 
Presentation Grade

I have a pair of these early 101s, both 26 inch choked skeet/skeet. I love to shoot them with light 7/8 oz. loads or with Briley tubes inserted and regular skeet loads. Some folks think these 101s are too light for skeet shooting, just stay away from 1 1/8 oz. loads or fast one ounce. The weight added by the tubes helps a lot with the subgauge shells.