CalendarCalendar   Photos  * FAQ
It is currently Thu Oct 23, 2014 6:44 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]


Image



Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 14 posts ] 
Author Message
 Post subject: Eagle shot sizes
PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2010 6:53 pm 
Presentation Grade

Joined: Wed Mar 11, 2009 6:57 pm
Posts: 521
Location: Washington
I recently bought some "Eagle" shot from Peru. It seems to run small, does anyone know how Peru sizes shot compared to US?

Thanks, Rob.



_________________
"You look like a chukar hunter, you have big thighs and a small head."


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Eagle shot sizes
PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2010 7:20 pm 
Presentation Grade

Joined: Sat Dec 26, 2009 1:24 pm
Posts: 650
Location: Central Indiana
I have Eagle brand in #9 and #8 1/2. The 9's run a bit small. The 8 1/2's are more standard size.

Here are some pellet counts dropped from 2 different bushings.

3/4 oz - Eagle #9 - 473, STS #9 - 456

1 oz - Eagle #8 1/2 - 498, STS #8 1/2 - 506

I'm sure the next lot I buy will be different! :roll: HHD


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Eagle shot sizes
PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2010 7:43 pm 
Crown Grade
User avatar

Joined: Sun May 21, 2006 3:16 pm
Posts: 3336
Location: Southeast MI
I did some tests a while back:
viewtopic.php?f=13&t=144170&start=0


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Eagle shot sizes
PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2010 7:53 pm 
Shotgun Expert
Shotgun Expert
User avatar

Joined: Tue Feb 21, 2006 8:20 pm
Posts: 8864
Location: Alvin, Texas
I have reported that Eagle shot runs undersize many times. I have used at least 2-1/2 or 3 tons of it and always find it to run about 1/2 a size small.. Their #8's usuall mike predominately as 8-1.2's, and their #9's mike about a # 9-1/2. Never have used their #7-1/2's, but I'll bet the farm that they will mike about a half size small too.

Since my shot size preference is #8-1/2, I simply buy #8's in Eagle brand, and then have the size I really want anyway. I find nothing wrong with the shot, as it works as well as any other. but the size on the bag, doesn't match the product inside.

DLM

_________________
DLM


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Eagle shot sizes
PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2010 8:07 pm 
Presentation Grade

Joined: Sat Dec 26, 2009 1:24 pm
Posts: 650
Location: Central Indiana
D L Marcum wrote:
I have reported that Eagle shot runs undersize many times. I have used at least 2-1/2 or 3 tons of it and always find it to run about 1/2 a size small.. Their #8's usuall mike predominately as 8-1.2's, and their #9's mike about a # 9-1/2. Never have used their #7-1/2's, but I'll bet the farm that they will mike about a half size small too.

Since my shot size preference is #8-1/2, I simply buy #8's in Eagle brand, and then have the size I really want anyway. I find nothing wrong with the shot, as it works as well as any other. but the size on the bag, doesn't match the product inside.

DLM

Wanna buy some of my Eagle 8 1/2 that is 8 1/2??? HHD


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Eagle shot sizes
PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2010 8:17 pm 
Shotgun Expert
Shotgun Expert
User avatar

Joined: Tue Feb 21, 2006 8:20 pm
Posts: 8864
Location: Alvin, Texas
High House Drifter wrote:
D L Marcum wrote:
I have reported that Eagle shot runs undersize many times. I have used at least 2-1/2 or 3 tons of it and always find it to run about 1/2 a size small.. Their #8's usuall mike predominately as 8-1.2's, and their #9's mike about a # 9-1/2. Never have used their #7-1/2's, but I'll bet the farm that they will mike about a half size small too.

Since my shot size preference is #8-1/2, I simply buy #8's in Eagle brand, and then have the size I really want anyway. I find nothing wrong with the shot, as it works as well as any other. but the size on the bag, doesn't match the product inside.

DLM

Wanna buy some of my Eagle 8 1/2 that is 8 1/2??? HHD


Maybe things have changed, but I've never seen any. Additionally the OP seems to dispute the stated size on the bag as being correct. Additionally, I used a bag of what was marked as #8's last week, and that shot predominately measured .085. Go figure.

DLM

_________________
DLM


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Eagle shot sizes
PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2010 8:27 pm 
Presentation Grade

Joined: Sat Dec 26, 2009 1:24 pm
Posts: 650
Location: Central Indiana
It's always good to check what you really wound up with! {hs# HHD


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Eagle shot sizes
PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2010 8:30 pm 
Presentation Grade

Joined: Thu May 08, 2008 3:57 am
Posts: 729
Location: Gippsland, Victoria Australia
Sounds to me like the Peruvian shot is English size #8, which is USA size #8.5. If their #7.5 runs small it is probably English #7.5 as well which is pretty much the same as USA #8.
This does not explain the #9 being under size though as English #9 is the same as USA #9. :!:


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Eagle shot sizes
PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2010 8:43 pm 
Presentation Grade

Joined: Wed Mar 11, 2009 6:57 pm
Posts: 521
Location: Washington
I opened a bag of #5 last night and it miked the same as my lawrence #6. I was thinking I would go get some Eagle #4 and have what I wanted???

_________________
"You look like a chukar hunter, you have big thighs and a small head."


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Eagle shot sizes
PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2010 9:00 pm 
Presentation Grade

Joined: Sat Dec 26, 2009 1:24 pm
Posts: 650
Location: Central Indiana
For magnum shot, the 1 oz pellet count for #5 is 177. For #6 it is 230. For # 4 it is 139. That is a big step. Why don't you weigh 1 oz of 5's on your scale, then count them. Then see if they are closer to 5's than 6's. That might get you closer than going to 4's. 1 oz = 437.5 gr. HHD


Last edited by High House Drifter on Thu May 20, 2010 9:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Eagle shot sizes
PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2010 9:09 pm 
Moderator
Moderator
User avatar

Joined: Fri Nov 04, 2005 11:15 am
Posts: 18343
Location: Knoxville, Tn area Nyuck, Nyuck
Can nobody figure out how to measure a bunch of pieces of shot and average the results. :?

_________________
To sign up as a bonus member, click this link.<<<<< LINK

God Bless America<<<< LINK worth clicking


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Eagle shot sizes
PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2010 9:18 pm 
Presentation Grade

Joined: Sat Dec 26, 2009 1:24 pm
Posts: 650
Location: Central Indiana
It's late here Curly, I just revised my last post to make sense! :lol: HHD


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Eagle shot sizes
PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2010 10:24 pm 
Crown Grade
User avatar

Joined: Sun May 21, 2006 3:16 pm
Posts: 3336
Location: Southeast MI
Curly-Nohair wrote:
Can nobody figure out how to measure a bunch of pieces of shot and average the results. :?
I think I did precisely this...
viewtopic.php?f=13&t=144170&start=0


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Eagle shot sizes
PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2010 10:42 pm 
Moderator
Moderator
User avatar

Joined: Fri Nov 04, 2005 11:15 am
Posts: 18343
Location: Knoxville, Tn area Nyuck, Nyuck
DrMike wrote:
Curly-Nohair wrote:
Can nobody figure out how to measure a bunch of pieces of shot and average the results. :?
I think I did precisely this...
viewtopic.php?f=13&t=144170&start=0


Eggzackley!! Thanks fer furnishing the reference thread! Nice Job there too!



_________________
To sign up as a bonus member, click this link.<<<<< LINK

God Bless America<<<< LINK worth clicking


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 14 posts ] 

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Registered users: Ack Ack, albanygun, BADDUCK, bigedberg, Bing [Bot], Bird Guide, Bladeswitcher, BobK, Bredfan, budrock56, Bwrpwr6, Commitment, Cpl Punishment, Curly-Nohair, CZMark, dcblvsh2, Dealman, dmarbell, doughebert3, EricD, GA A5, gearguywb, Google [Bot], Google Adsense [Bot], Google Feedfetcher, GuideGun, Harv Shell, hopper810, ithacarick, Jim18611865, jrmev, mactownbob, mattsbox99, MXZ800, neocat, olddrum, Patently Obvious, PJDiesel, savageman101, SDV, seb7515, seh, Spartan300, stubblejumper, tjen, TowPro1, TuJays, wcampb7899, Wilfred1955, wjonessc, Yuma Hunter


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group     -  DMCA Notice