CalendarCalendar   Photos  * FAQ
It is currently Thu Aug 21, 2014 3:13 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: 20 ga v. 12 ga
PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2010 4:23 pm 
Crown Grade

Only one gun? Then I'd go with a good 12 gauge over/under. As stated above you could shoot 1 oz low recoil loads, or even 7/8. But, I would suggest a 12 because you're gonna get hooked on clays! Then as trap starts to bore you to tears, you'll want to shoot other games too. A 12 will do it all and can be tubed for the sub-gauges which is where the real fun starts....if you liked the 20, you'll LOVE the 28. If low recoil is your goal, a 12 tubed down to 410 is the ticket...it'll feel like a popcorn fart. Leave yourself some growing room.

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2010 4:30 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

let's take baby steps--the idea that a 20 will recoil less than a 12 is often false

a light 20 kill kick the snot out of you

a medium weight 12 shooting light loads (1 oz 1200 fps or less) will kick less

12's have many more ammo options...incl 7/8th oz and 24 grams

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2010 12:34 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Some of the nastiest slappers I've ever fired have been slim, light 20 ga. field O/Us. And I just ordered another one ... a 6 lb, 5 oz. Sig/B.Riz! Wonderful to tote in the field and fast to the cheek.

But recoil -- up to the baby magnum 1 1/8 oz, 2 3/4 inch 20 ga. shells in a light double -- isn't a factor for me when hunting pheasant, which I will do with anything from a 28 to a 16. I still have one good 12 ga. walking gun left, but if feels fat in my mitts. It gets loaned out more than it gets carried by me. It's an older model S 686 Ultra Light with the onyx finish and darn-near crate wood. I've had a bunch of offers to buy it, but since I picked it up when it was a $1,200 gun, I see no reason it shouldn't stay with me for life.

OTH, my next gun (and I'd have it by now had not the Sig/B.Riz popped up) probably will be a 12 ga. sporter, and I'd bet it goes to rucker for a Bump Buster. I've become a recoil wuss at the club. Right now I'm gunning .410s and 28s from a pair of 525s that run right around 7lbs and find them both effective on a skeet field and mild in the recoil department. Perhaps it's age, perhaps it's a cranky right shoulder, but if I'm putting more than a box or two through anything, I want my recoil minimized these days.

Felt recoil is pretty subjective stuff, but obviously a heavy gun or a gas-operated semi helps tame recoil. Moreso, in fact, if you've had them fit by someone who knows what he or she is doing.

JME/YMMV.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2010 6:23 am 
Diamond Grade

I shoot 12 gauge 7/8oz loads and prefer this load than shooting 1oz or 1 1/8oz loads. Recoil is a lot more manageable, especially if you run through a flat or more of shells in a day.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2011 5:21 pm 
Utility Grade

Didn't Fiocchi used to make a comp 7/8 load.I havent shot any tournements in a good while. But when its an over under, does it really matter? if its only 2 shots, 12Ga isn"t that bad, im 230lbs. Im sure size has more to do with it than shoulder.

If your popping hot loads out of an auto all day, that might matter...

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2011 1:18 pm 
Field Grade

I see this thread is a couple days old and seems to be over but, one more question. It seems from what I read the best way to manage the "gun weight vs recoil" dilemma would be to use a medium weight 12 ga semi with light loads, but you run the risk of light loads not cycling the action. So if a 7/8oz 12 ga load is the same recoil as a 7/8oz 20ga load, do 20 ga semi's have the same trouble cycling? I've never owned a semi and I'm trying to help a female shooter pick out a new gun. She's been trying trap and skeet with my Citori, Stevens SxS, Model 12, and BPS all in 12 ga. She couldn't decide if it's holding up the weight of the gun or the recoil that bothers her the most so I loaded some 7/8 oz and she tried the Stevens and the BPS. She said the recoil was OK but she'd like it more if the guns were lighter. I understand the Stevens is a tank but the BPS is what I consider a medium weight gun. My next thought is a 20ga.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2011 1:54 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

A little story...

My wife wanted to go shoot some Trap. Knowing that she is not large or abnormally strong, I had her shoulder a few of my shotguns. She tried an 870CT, BPS Trap, 303 Special Trap and a Cynergy Sporting. The heaviest of them was the Cynergy at 8.4lbs. She proclaimed all of them too heavy to hold up. Then, on a whim, I handed her a Perazzi TMS (same as a TM-1). Her eyes bugged out as she stated how much lighter the TMS was. :shock:

The truth is that the TMS, at 9.5lbs, was more than a pound heavier than any of the other guns. Why did she think it was lighter? Balance. The Perazzi is much better balanced than the other guns. The bulk of the weight is at the receiver. Thus, the illusion of lighter weight.

The moral of the story is to keep trying guns. I don't think a 20ga will bring you the benefits you're looking for.

Further, I believe that gun fit has almost as much to do with reducing felt recoil as anything else. A properly fitted gun will leave the shooter feeling very little recoil even with heavy loads.

“Endeavor to clear your mind of can't.” - Francis P. Church

Col 4:6
Hate the ads? Become a Bonus Member, click here.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2011 9:58 pm 
Crown Grade

steveziv wrote:
Trap is pretty much a 12 gauge game and sporting clays only a little less so. As others have pointed out 1 oz. 12 gauge loads, traveling 1200 fps from a 7.5 - 8.0 lb O/U will break clays nicely without punishing recoil. An auto loader will further tame recoil however the catch-22 is possibly having to use faster loads to cycle the action.

A 20 gauge O/U is sweet though. Something about their dimensions just seem right to a lot of guys; slightly smaller, lighter and more lively than a 12 without feeling like a toy. If your focus was going to be skeet and clays I might recommend a 20 in skeet or SC configuration......

Steve, absolutely agree with your assessment. Nothing better than a quality 20 gauge O/U to keep things interesting. I've been shooting my 20 gauge Weatherby/SKB allot more and enjoying it. Over a pound less weight than my 12 gauge sporters and just as deadly. Just gotta' concentrate a little harder on long shots...

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2011 1:46 pm 
Utility Grade

{hs# Hello everyone, well i have realy enjoyed reading the different view on12 or 20 and all the options there are. Learned a great deal. I use to shot trap some 40 years ago, used only 12 ga. No never competed, just shot for the fun of it. I have in my gun cabinat a Remington 20ga Wing master fixed choke in mod. Vent rib. I sear I don't think this shotgun has been shot. I plan to get back into shooting trap and I am going to use this shotgun. I have plenty of mix matched 20 shells and am going to shoot them up I don't hunt any more. Mainly the cost of hunting and so on. I also have a Browning sxs in 20 plan to shoot that some too. I for my part of the game look at this way if I can break well with a 20 then i should be able to break even better witha 12. And if that story isn't true then it should be true. just sayin' you know.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 25, 2011 11:23 am 
Field Grade

A 12 ga. semi auto in 8 lbs or so, recoil pad, and used with target loads will tame the recoil while maintaing effective breakage percentages. A modern gas gun will cut recoil even more but maintenance goes up with piston model. A recoil operated shotgun like a Browning A5 will lessen maintenance but will have a bit more recoil.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2011 10:57 pm 
Tournament Grade

Bin the 20g use a 12g