CalendarCalendar   Photos  * FAQ
It is currently Sat Aug 30, 2014 3:10 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Iver Johnson "SKEETER" 20 gauge
PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2010 11:29 pm 
Utility Grade

At a recent gun show, I was lucky enough to have taken in an Iver Johnson SKEETER 20 ga. dbl bbl sweetheart of a gun that appears unfired. I must admit that I was skeptical when the customer told me that he had"An Iver Johnson that was a really high end shotgun...". I thought the words "high end" and "Iver Johnson" did not belong in the same paragraphs -- let alone sentences; I was pleasantly surprised. The stock is fine grade walnut and has nice checkering with a Beavertail forend. It has a single selective trigger and ejectors, a vent rib, and everything else that the blue book said to look for. The only feax pas is that it is choked IM/Full...Not quite a skeeter in my book. The book says they were all SK/SK choked...Hmmm.. But a VERY SWEET little gun in any case.
Any ideas as to what it might be worth in real dollars U.S. ?? I hear that mostly they are seen in .410 when they're seen at all. My 20 gauge is an awfully sweet gun, but all things being unbalanced in these times of economic hardship, I may have to sell it for the sake of good sense. I really can't justify owning an expensive trap gun in twenty gauge -- Or twelve for that matter -- and I own several already...A nice 20 ga. double DOES look good in my rack....buuuuutttt...I fear it must go for the demands of the bill collector. After all; if we kept ALL the nice ones -- we'd all be big collectors and none of us REALLY be dealers would we?
OK guys: I am all ears!!...Let me have some good news for a change huh?

Anxiously and hopefully awaiting the SKEETER fairy.
Thanks to all who answer this (and all my posts) . :D :)
Shep Burton
The Gunrunner,LLC
709 25th St
Va Bch. , Va 23451
757-425-2936
757-353-8535(cell)shep@gunrunnerllc.com
thegunrunnerllc@hotmail.com

Post subject: Re: Iver Johnson "SKEETER" 20 gauge
PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2010 9:56 am 
Tournament Grade

Shep,
There is an extensive article in the winter 2009 of DGJ that you ought to read. It covers Skeet-ers as well as any I've seen. Unfortunately, I gave the article to the buyer of my Skeet-er 16 when I sold it, so anything I tell you is from memory.
First, the name implies a skeet gun, but they could be ordered with any choke the buyer wished. There were about 1200 produced, with 600+ being .410's and the 16 being the rarest. The first couple of years the frame was case-colored, making them the most desirable. They could be ordered with a PG or English stock, HRBP or Jostam Anti-flinch pad, Deluxe grade (checkered cheeks) in addition to the features of yours.
I found my gun to be bulky compared to other S/S's that I shoot, but surprisingly I shot it very well.
As to value of yours, there's not a great deal of interest among collectors, but IMHO a 20 in the condition you describe should be north of 4K.
If you decide to keep it, open the chokes---you'll like the way it handles.

PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2010 12:41 am 
Utility Grade

Thanks a million for the "knows" on this gun. I'm not sure if the bbl walls are thick enough to open up, but if I do decide to keep it, I most certainly will look into it. In the meantime, I suppose I'll put it on the rack for sale about the $4500 mark or so...I can always come down I guess, but its hard as hell to go up on a price with a drooling customer looking on aint it now? Just kidding, I'd never do a thing like that...If anything I usually get a load from Deb for being to lenient on my $ signs and giving in too quickly...
But I really do appreciate the info. Shoot well and shoot safely,
Shep Burton
The Gunrunner,LLC
835 Va Bch Blvd(new shop address)
Va Bch, Va 23451
757-425-2936(office)
757-353-8535(cell)
757-961-7330(shop)
shep@gunrunnerllc.com

PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2010 12:42 am 
Utility Grade

Thanks a million for the "knows" on this gun. I'm not sure if the bbl walls are thick enough to open up, but if I do decide to keep it, I most certainly will look into it. In the meantime, I suppose I'll put it on the rack for sale about the $4500 mark or so...I can always come down I guess, but its hard as hell to go up on a price with a drooling customer looking on aint it now? Just kidding, I'd never do a thing like that...If anything I usually get a load from Deb for being to lenient on my $ signs and giving in too quickly...
But I really do appreciate the info. Shoot well and shoot safely,
Shep Burton
The Gunrunner,LLC
835 Va Bch Blvd(new shop address)
Va Bch, Va 23451
757-425-2936(office)
757-353-8535(cell)
757-961-7330(shop)
shep@gunrunnerllc.com

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2010 8:45 pm 
Utility Grade

Hey Taxcoach,
I posted the SKEETER 20 Gauge in Guns America if you'd like to see the pretty little thing...I just can not justify owning this gun right now; and by all rights it belongs to the company(my shop) and not "me".
I was surprised how many SKEETERS there were for sale!

Are you really a tax lawyer? If so, would ya drop me a line at :
shep@gunrunnerllc.com
Write something about Skeeters or shotgns in the subject line so I do not delete it by accident. Thanks...

AND

Thanks again
ShepB-TheGunrunner

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2011 9:32 pm 
Utility Grade

Hello, Just saw a 'skeeter' in 16ga full and mod, double trigs, no vent rib but new cond. although not perfect. #s 56xx. any idea how old, worth, etc. any info would be great. Thanks, Tom, m987a in NoVa

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2011 2:12 pm 
Tournament Grade

Shep and m987a,
Shep, my user name is Laxcoach---for lacrosse coach-- but I'm just a spectator now.
m987a, I sold mine for $3300, about a 90% gun with CC, BT, SNST, ejectors, and straight stock.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2011 5:53 pm 
Utility Grade

Wow, this is a lot nicer than I thought, so thanks for the 411, Laxcoach

PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2011 2:54 am 
Utility Grade

Laxcoach, mine has single selective trigger, original wood that is beautiful,beqavertail forend, extra fancy walnut, and the finish is about immaculate. of course, in 20 gauge, and choked like a trap gun, its sort of a weird bird... I was told by some folks that it might bring as much as 6K; but I am thinking that 4K would be fair as someone along the line inlaid ovory diamonds on the sides of the buittstock just behind the receiver, like so many Parkers I see have had done... Perhaps to cover a bolt of some type; I do not know the whys or wherefores... I could really use the bucks now to get my gun shop back in merchandise if you know anyone who might be interested in a sweet little gun at a good price...
Thanks again for all ytour heklp,
Shep Burton
The Gunmrunner,LLC
835 Va Bch Blvd(rear shop)
Va Bch, Va 23451
757-961-7330-shop phone-12-7PM wed-sat---12-4PM sun
closed mon and tues
shep@gunrunnerllc.com
thegunrunnerllc@hotmail.com

PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2011 8:45 am 
Tournament Grade

Shep,
JMHO--- the inlays will raise suspicions and really hurt the value.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2011 5:16 am 
Utility Grade

Perhaps so Lax... I thank you for your help anyway. We have pics of the gun already if you think you might be interested in seeing it just for curiosity sake... If you like, write to my wife, Deb:debbie@gunrunnerllc.com and tell her you would like to see the Iver Johnson... Its the only one we have so she'll know which one it is. In MY opinion---its still a great gun, and if only it were choked for skeet I would be keeping it for myself, but the bbl wall thickness is such that it is not practical for screw ins and couldn't be opened up safely as far as I am concxerned... It probably COULD be opened up; but PROBABLY isn't good enough in my book---So a 20 gauge trap gun it was meant to be and that is what it'll stay!
IM and Full on a 20 ga. IJ Skeeter... I know they could be ordered in any choking the buyer wanted, but whay a twenty gauge skeeter...? Then again,in registered skeet targets, I shot 28 gauge in doubles, 12, 20, and 28 gauges in 2006 after I broke my back ! The lack of pellets was made up for by the ability to keep my mind on the game instead of my aching back !
Shoot well and safely, and thanks for your help, as always,
Shep B