CalendarCalendar   Photos  * FAQ
It is currently Tue Oct 21, 2014 11:43 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Eastern Arms 12 ga. Single Shot Info
PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2010 5:38 pm 
Utility Grade

I recently acquired an Eastern Arms Company, single shot 12 ga. shotgun from my father-in-law (born in 1920) after his death. No one in the family has any knowledge of its history.

The barrel has "Eastern Arms Company 101.1", "12 Gauge", and "2 3/4 Chamber" stamped on it. I cannot find a serial number, and the only other marking I have been able to find is "94A" stamped on the right-hand side of the receiver above the trigger.

I have been able to find out a little about the weapon: Eastern Arms was a distributor for hardware stores, feed stores, etc. in the late 19th and early 20th centuries who marketed firearms through local, small town stores, traveling salesmen, and mail order catalogs. The weapon was probably manufactured by Savage or Stevens.

If anyone has any additional information about the model, age, manufacturer, or value of this shotgun, I would appreciate hearing about it. I do not think the weapon was very expensive when it was new, and, unfortunately, it has not been well cared for. There is some rust on the barrel, and the stock is well worn. It would be interesting to hear the stories this gun could tell. Thanks for your help.

Post subject: Re: Eastern Arms 12 ga. Single Shot Info
PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2010 12:13 am 
Crown Grade

If the name is indeed EASTERN ARMS CO 101.1 then the gun is a "Trade Brand Name" shotgun. A "Trade Brand Name" shotgun is made by a major maker for and sold by a wholesaler or retailer who chose the name to go on the gun. Guns with this name were made by several makers including Stevens Arms & Tool Co of Chicopee Falls.MA. Andrew Fryberg Arms Company and Iver Johnson's Arms & Cycle Works of Fitchberg,MA for and were sold by Sears Roebuck & Co of Chicago. IL. Sorry but there are no records as to when the gun was made. Value? Every one wants to know. These old single shot shotguns were inexpensive even when new (sold for about $15 to $25). Their value now will depend on the condition of the gun, the amount of original finish remaining on the metal and wood as well as the mechanical condition. One in factory new condition might bring as much as $175 to a collector down to less than $10 for a rusty rotten incomplete piece of junk fit only for a tomato stake.

Post subject: Re: Eastern Arms 12 ga. Single Shot Info
PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2010 4:41 pm 
Field Grade

According to THE Blue Book of Gun Values-- Store Brand Cross-Over List, Eastern Arms Model 101.1 was made by Stevens. The original model # was 94B. No dates of mfg. are listed.
I too have a model 101.1 12 Ga. that was the only gun my dad ever owned. The gun is in pretty good shape for it's age, but the stock has been replaced. The original was broken when stepped on by a mule!
Richard :D