CalendarCalendar   Photos  * FAQ
It is currently Fri Oct 24, 2014 1:49 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Mossberg 935
PostPosted: Sat May 22, 2004 10:17 pm 
Hey im about 14 and im lookin to buy my first 12 gauge and ive really been intrested in the 935 but ive been reading about it and ive heard stuff about 2 3/4 inch shells being a problem. I just wanted to know if the 935 would handle the light loads if you shot a few boxes through it. well i just thought Id ask for some input.Thanks.

Post subject: Re: Mossberg 935
PostPosted: Sun May 23, 2004 4:01 am 
Tournament Grade

I have owned several Mossbergs and will tell you from experiance that Mossbergs do not have a reputation from making a firearm that will last for a very long period of time. They are great at first but you "will" have problems with them later on down the road. Save your money and spend it on a gun that will last you a long time trouble free. Plus starting out you should really consider getting a pump and then moving up to an autoloader. JMO.

Look at the Brownings, Benelli, Remingtons or Beretta's. Just do yourself a favor and stay away from a Mossberg. It will save you many headaches and heartaches later on down the road.

bird

PostPosted: Sun May 23, 2004 11:42 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

I've heard a lot of good things about the 935, and the oversized(10ga) bore on em really helps patterns and will increase velocity by about 50-60 fps over a standard .729 bored gun.
yet, they may not reliably cycle 1oz target loads, but have heard many say they will cycle heavier 1 1/8 oz sporting clays loads.
If you get one, make sure you clean it really well with a gun scrubber product,completely hose it out with this stuff to get all factory grease(cosmoline) out of it, then lube it well with rem-oil and it should perform well for you.

PostPosted: Sun May 23, 2004 1:26 pm 
hey guys thanks for your input. Im really just lookin for an all-around shotgun for waterfowl, upland, and turkey....Just wondering if the 935 would be a good all arounder....please keep givin me advice.Thanks Joryd

PostPosted: Sun May 23, 2004 5:27 pm 
I have a 9200 that i love. It only shoots 3 in shells and is no longer made but if you can find a used one in good shape jump on it. I got mine used for $195.
Don't be afraid of Mossberg they are great guns that will last as long as any Rem 870!

PostPosted: Sun May 23, 2004 5:29 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

You might take a look at the Remington 11-87SP, i was deciding on whether to get the mossy 935 or the 11-87SP,as i already own a mossy 835 and the chokes would interchange, but 2 things concerned me and caused me to go with the 11-87SP.
1) i've heard rumors of the 935 not cycling target loads,and that got me a bit leary,because if i can't practice with it on the clays course, forget it (BTW, the 11-87SP 3 1/2" i got will cycle even light 1oz loads with no problem whatsoever)
2) A mossy pump is one thing, a mossy auto?
well, even though i've heard good reviews, it was hard enough to get me to buy an auto as it was, but a mossy auto just got me a bit nervous,not saying they're not good guns or don't work fine, it just got me a bit nervous, auto shotgun and mossberg in the same sentence just seemed like improper grammar to me for some reason,don't know why.

PostPosted: Sun May 23, 2004 5:50 pm 
hey guys keep the advice comin.....ill look into the 11-87
thanks...Joryd

PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2004 11:07 am 
Limited Edition

Birdhunter88,

I don't know where you've gotten your information, but I think that there are alot of people on this forum that'll disagree with you. Mossbergs are EXTREMELY reliable guns.

Joryd,

Many semi-autos have issues with light loads if they are not broken in properly. Ask any of the Benelli guys. You'll need to break the action in using heavy loads first, and then you'll find that the light loads cycle just fine. If you wind up buying the 935, seriously talk with the Benelli guys and see what they recommend shooting to break it in.

BTW, please join this great forum, as I think you could have alot to add to the conversations.

David

PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2004 8:13 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

My 11-87SP 3 1/2" started chuckin out light 1 oz loads like popcorn right outa the box, after cleaning it of course, it didn't need any break in,same with my beretta 391, no break in at all, they both handled light 1 oz'ers right from the get go, and chucked em out with authority.

PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2004 8:42 pm 
Field Grade

My 935 at first wouldn't cycle the lighter loads, but with the 3" stuff it was perfect everytime. I only shot 35 round thru it the first time 25, 2 3/4" and 10, 3". I took it home and cleaned it real good. The second time I shot probably 50 2 3/4" shells thru it and only had it jam on the cheap 2 3/4" shells. The sporting clay shells with the higher velocity or max DR. EQ. were perfect everytime. The 935 is a relly nice gun for the money and shoots very well. If I was you I would look at some of the other models or brands that others have suggested to see what you like and what fits you best. Then decide what is best for you.

PostPosted: Sun May 30, 2004 1:16 pm 
Hey I went to check the 935 and the 11-87 out at the basspro shop in Oklahoma city but the had sold out of the 935's and had alot of 11-87's left....that kinda told me something. well when i go back ill see if they have one and then shoulder both of them a few times to see which is a good fit.
keep your thoughts coming everyone
Thanks alot for your help....Joryc

PostPosted: Sun May 30, 2004 2:54 pm 
Tournament Grade

They are out of them probably only because of price, not quaility.

Its like buying a car............ whats better ? A Yugo or a BMW.

A Hyundai or a Honda.

You get what you pay for !

PostPosted: Sun May 30, 2004 9:36 pm 
Limited Edition

Birdhunter88,

Did you ever occur to you that maybe, just maybe Mossberg makes a quality product. I mean, they must have sold oh a million units or so over the years. They can't be that bad. If they were, they wouldn't be around still. Cheap just doesn't cut it, in any marketplace. While you may not like them for whatever reasons, ALOT of people do.

Personally, I say go and buy whatever feels good to you and you feel good buying. Mossberg is a name you can trust for years of dependable service.

David

PostPosted: Mon May 31, 2004 8:03 am 
Tournament Grade

Hey sorry you don't like my opinion yoda4x4. But its just my opinion.

But no, I don't feel that Mossberg makes a quaility product. I feel they make a "marginal" product. And no, I don't feel that Mossberg is a name that you can trust for years of dependable service. Actually I feel that after a few years that their product becomes very unreliable.

I too use to be "Mossberg Brain Washed". Then I woke up out of my deep sleep and realized that the guns that I had owned (Mossberg) were marginal at best and it was time to purchase more dependable and higher quality guns.

My little jabs at the Mossberg name are just my way of saying "Hey, you better reconsider purchasing a Mossberg. They are not a gun that a person will own for many years of trouble free service." I just hate to see a new person to the shotgun world get suckered into purchasing a Mossberg without hearing both sides of the story. Remember: My opinion only !

If you have had years of trouble free service, then I am happy for you. But there are many people out there that have had lots of trouble with the Mossberg name and yes, I am one of those people. So remember, Its just my opinion. Nothing more nothing less.....

Cheap does sell........... but does it last ?

bird

PostPosted: Mon May 31, 2004 11:24 am 
Limited Edition

Birdhunter88,

I'm sorry to hear that you haven't had good luck with them. And yes, you are entitled to your opinion. But, you haven't answered a question that I had posted earlier. What problems have you had with Mossberg guns? When and how did they happen? In addition, since Mossberg guns have a 10 year warranty, did you contact Mossberg to have them fix or replace the problem components under this warranty? I completely understand that not every single component is going to be defect free, but the good manufacturers will stand behind their products and do whatever they can to keep the customer happy with their products. Did you ever contact Mossberg about your issues? And if so, what was the results?

Please answer these questions, so I can understand what kind of corrective action you may have taken. The only thing I can say is that, if you didn't contact Mossberg about any issues, then that is YOUR mistake, not theirs. Mossberg cannot help you if you never told them that there is a problem.

David

PostPosted: Mon May 31, 2004 12:06 pm 
Tournament Grade

Oh I'm sorry. I didn't answer your question did I.
Well without going into long and get details just briefs is all.

Mossberg 9200..... brand new, 1st year, bolt keep getting stuck. Action taken, sent in fixed, bird season over before I got the gun back. 2nd year, gun hardly used but different problem, now gun doesn't want to feed a followup shot, time frame, 1st weekend of pheasant season. 2 years in a row that I had to use a back up gun for pheasant season. Results, Took the damn thing in and traded it off for a different gun. My opinion: Any gun that breaks down and can't be used when it is new isn't worth a damn. I buy guns to use not to send in and have fixed all the time. They don't do you any good if their in the shop at Mossberg and not in your hands being productive. JMO

Mossberg 835..... gun won't fire unless you eject one shell and load another. Contacted Mossberg, sent in, sent back, still has this problem on an intermitant basis. Contacted Mossberg, they don't know, scratching their heads I guess. I think it is a bolt problem with the firing pin but they don't think so.... asked for a new bolt, told no must be something else.

Mossberg 835..... gun either won't eject a shell or feed a shell. I thought due to short stroking or bad shells.... turns out that it is not operator error or shells but gun malfuntioning. Sent in, sent back. Gun will work correctly for a period of time, then will go back to its old ways. Sent in twice for this problem. Still does this from time to time. Unreliable !

Either way, Like you said. 10 year warranty, ok fine. But the warranties don't do you any good if their in the shop all the time. Warranties won't shoot shotgun shells, Reliable guns do.

JMO
bird

PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2004 12:49 am 
I have a Mossy 9200 with a slug barrell that I kill deer every year with. I have more expensive guns but this rig does thejob with a low priced Tasco scope on it.
It doesn't like the three inch Brennecke slugs, jams on them, but I went to Winchester sabots and it is a tack driver, brings home the venison every year here in Illinois where we must use slug guns.
It is a 9200 Crown grade with a lifetime warranty

PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2004 2:23 pm 
I BOUGHT A NEW BERETTA EXTREMA WHICH IS ONE FO THE MOST COSTLY AUTO LOADERS ON THE MARKET AND IT WILL NOT CYCLE LIGHT LOADS EITHER. THERE ARE SUCH TIGHT TOLLERANCES WITH THE ACTIONS THAT THEY DO NOT KICK OUT RIGHT AWAY. THEY HANDLE THE HIGH VELOCITY LOADS OK THOUGH. AFTER ABOUT FOUR OR FIVE TIMES OUT SHOOTING THOUGH, IT LOOSENED UP AND WILL EVEN TAKE MIXTURES OF DIFFERENT SIZED LOADS NOW. DON'T BE SO HESITANT JUST BECAUSE IT WON'T CYCLE LIGHT LOADS. ALL YOU HAVE TO DO IS BY HIGH BRASS LOADS FOR A WHILE TILL YOU BREAK IT IN. HOPE THIS HELPS.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2004 9:30 pm 
hey thanks alot doug, im glad to hear another gun is having the same problem but loosens up well, which i think is how the 935 will do is loosen up after a few 200-300 shells. well keep your progress posted on your beratta.
thanks

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2004 8:59 pm 
hey joryd....the mossberg 935 is a great shotgun. The things that you have heard about the 2 3/4" shells might be true, simply becaust the gun is not made to shoot them. It clearly says to shoot 3 & 3 1/2 inch shells only. I imagine you could try to shoot them at your own risk, it would probably work. I don't think I would try it myself due to the fact that the owners manual says not to. The gun cycles perfectly with the shells it was designed for though, I thought it was a very good buy. Don't pay for a name or importation taxes....buy American....you will be very happy with it!!