CalendarCalendar   Photos  * FAQ
It is currently Wed Apr 23, 2014 12:28 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: hard to open after firing
PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2010 12:31 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Browning superposed. Seems to work fine empty. When I fire both barrels the gun is very hard to open. And it feels "rough"n like metal grating. I tried snap caps. It seems to work okay with snap caps. I tried empty hulls. It is hard to open after dropping both hammers on empties. Doing it one at the time, it is harder to open if the bottom barrel is fired and the top not. The top lever seems to work okay. But the barrel feels frozen at first.
When I start a round it seems okay for a few shots. But after that it gets worse and worse untill the next lube and cleaning.

thanks for any suggestions.

Post subject: Re: hard to open after firing
PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2010 1:54 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Sounds like it's the cheap steel base shells sticking in the chambers. You can either polish the chambers, buy better quality ammo (like Win AA or Rem STS), or do both. I suggest trying the better quality ammo first since that will usually cure the problem.....as long as you continue to use the good quality target ammo. As soon as you switch back to cheap ammo, the problem will return.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2010 3:13 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

I guess it could be ammo related, but I don't think so. I am shooting 7/8 oz reloads in the old compression based AA's and in Remington STS hulls. They work fine in my Beretta. I have not really checked the chambers carefully. I guess I need to do that next.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2010 3:17 pm 
Diamond Grade

Look for "firing pin drag marks" on the shell bases.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2010 3:18 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Bill M. wrote:
I guess it could be ammo related, but I don't think so. I am shooting 7/8 oz reloads in the old compression based AA's and in Remington STS hulls. They work fine in my Beretta. I have not really checked the chambers carefully. I guess I need to do that next.

Are you re-sizing the brass during your reloading? If not, then shells shot in your Beretta may not fit so well in your Browning.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2010 7:54 pm 
Crown Grade

Banjo MD wrote:
Look for "firing pin drag marks" on the shell bases.

Ditto, bottom barrel FP is spring loaded, and should not be protruding after the the shot, hence smearing or channeling the primer indent as the gun is unlocking (read primer should only have a nice round dent).

Also, are you grease lubing the not only the receiver pin and barrel matting lug, but the forearm cap to receiver as well. Also help to put a light smear of grease on the barrel lug lock up as well so the lock can glide away as the lever is being pushed.

As for the hulls, should not be a problem with unlock since the breach should have started opening almost all the way open before the ejectors even start to move.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2010 10:15 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Thanks for the tips. So far I have not fixed or diagnosed it.
I resize all my hulls. The loaded shells just drop in both guns. The ejectors throw the empties a very good distance. The problem is right exactly at the initial release. Tonight I took the stock off and removed the bottom pin and spring. I squirted CLP in the empty hole and blew it out a couple of times. The pin and spring looked fine to me and seemed to be working. I put it back together and tried it on some empty hulls. It seems better.
But I bet when I get to the range it tightens up again. It seems to me that it works well for a couple of shots and then gets tight. And when it does it feels like a "dry sliding" kind of gritty feel. Almost like dirt or powder residue blowing into it? or heat? Whenb I clean the gun after shooting it feels "gritty". I am shooting light loads of Clays powder. 7/8 at around 1200 the last trip out.
The bottom pin protudes a healthy amount. Maybe it is too long? Any way I can check that? I do not see drag marks on the primer.
Probably go to the range thursday. will try some factoy loads and some different reloads.
I shoot several different 12 gauge guns and this is the only one I have trouble with. If it is the shells it is a subtle interaction with this gun rather than a general problem. They work fine in a model 12, a win 101, and a Berretta.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2010 5:25 pm 
Crown Grade

Are you greasing all the barrel/forearm to receiver contact areas?

Gritty at unlock is going to come form the forearm to receiver metal, the bottom lug to receiver pin, and the sides of the receiver to the monoblock. Granted that you may be able to feel the rim of the shell slightly sliding on the breach face, that should go away a few degrees as the barrel has stated to open.

Also, since you had the stock off, did you also lube the lever and lock parts (lube and not CLP since it too thin). Could be that you are not getting the lock all the way back to disengage the barrel lug, and that is the feeling you are getting.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2010 7:43 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Thanks Dano. for your help here and on the Beretta board. I am going to pull the stock again and make sure everything is a lubed as possible. I would like to figure out a way to clean the locking rotator system.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2010 10:01 pm 
Crown Grade

The short cut way, lube and an air compressor.

But if the gun is old and has not been serviced in a while (over 30K rounds), might be time for a complete receiver tear down to clean and relube, plus replace some springs and parts that may be questionable.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2010 2:56 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Are you sure it's not something with re-cocking the hammers?