CalendarCalendar   Photos  * FAQ
It is currently Fri Jul 25, 2014 1:22 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Release triggers
PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2010 3:00 pm 
Crown Grade

On another thread it was inferred that a shooter might need to switch to release triggers. I'm also in that place where I can't always pull the trigger when I want to. Thus, I, too, might benefit from release triggers. So, my question to those of you who use them, do you shoot release triggers exclusively or do you use pull triggers for other shooting activities such as hunting? Is it easy to switch back and forth?
In the aforementioned thread, I said I desparately didn't want to switch to a release for target shooting. The reason, of course, is that I still hunt birds and I'm concerned that using a pull trigger there might become dangerous to a hunting companion.

Post subject: Re: Release triggers
PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2010 3:27 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

I can use a pull trigger for upland shooting where I don't have time to think about it. For clays shooting, I NEED a release trigger.

I've taken my 390 Beretta with release trigger dove hunting before. No problem. But for grouse or rabbit hunting, I use a pull trigger.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2010 3:38 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

[using Ulysses logic on Muller Chokes]
Well, release triggers don't work for me and I don't see any advantage, therefore they're a waste of money for you.
[/logic]

There is no such thing as hard targets, only targets above our ability. -- Jimmy Muller

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2010 6:04 pm 
Crown Grade

Release trigger scare the dog squeeze out of me.

I have one gut that for some reason I couldn't always get on the trigger everytime, then it would be "jerk! bang!" I solved it by putting a pistol trigger shoe on the trigger, making it it over 3/8th inch wide. With that much surface, I was able to get almost all of the pad on my trigger finger on it. No problems now.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2010 10:50 pm 
Diamond Grade

I use double release for all clay shooting. Pull triggers for hunting don't cause me any trouble. EG

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2010 7:22 am 
Tournament Grade

I also use double releases for clay shooting and pull triggers for quail hunting with no problems.I have used releases for dove and driven pheasant without problems.As for some of the other post some folks can't walk and chew gum at the same time,and defintely should stay away from high tech!like release triggers :lol:

Have fun
Shoot well
Be safe

Buster

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2010 8:22 am 
Presentation Grade

Mustangdriver wrote:
... I can't always pull the trigger when I want to. Thus, I, too, might benefit from release triggers. So, my question to those of you who use them, do you shoot release triggers exclusively or do you use pull triggers for other shooting activities such as hunting? Is it easy to switch back and forth?...I still hunt birds and I'm concerned that using a pull trigger there might become dangerous to a hunting companion.

Mustangdriver,
I "converted" to a release trigger in a gas-operated semi and double release in O/U's a number of years ago. I've found that some people just kind of naturally "take" to them and others seem to struggle. It's not unlike the problem that many shooters seem to have when using double triggers on sxs's and switching back and forth between single/double triggers---some shooters just seem genetically dis-inclined for the change. Personally I have no problem going from double to single and pull to release and back. I also shoot alot of pistols - both single actions in Cowboy Action Shooting and semi-auto and double action rev. in IDPA--in other words, I pull alot of different kinds of triggers over the course of a shooting/hunting season. It's never been a problem for me. For hunting I frequently use double triggered sxs's---for sporting a release and for most trap shooting a pull. Since switching to release triggers the ONLY time that I've had a brain-fart with the triggers was when I shot a round of trap and inadvertently used my clays gun instead of my trap gun. When I called for the bird, I pulled the trigger expecting it to go off and it didn't---fortunately I realized immediately what was going on and released the shot--missed the bird, but everything was safe--no one on the squad even noticed (me missing wasn't noteworthy).

How do you do with a double triggered gun? If you struggle with switching, you may experience the same with a release. Once you get used to a release however, you'll find that releasing a trigger on a crossing target with alot of lateral movement is a much more natural and intuitive act than pulling a trigger on that same bird.

For upland huning, I wouldn't worry about the switch from a safety standpoint. You're hopefully carrying the shotgun with the safety on and muzzle in a safe position. If you've hunted for some time, your first reaction to a bird flush is probably to move and mount the gun and take the safety off during that process. If you're like me, I have more conscious thought about the muzzle and whether I'm close to covering other shooters or dogs and have little conscious thought about manually taking the safety off. With target shooting, you're consciously "setting" a release trigger prior to your move and mount. The two are very different experiences.

If and when you get a release trigger I would suggest that you shoot only singles for a while until you feel comfortable knowing when to set the trigger and how it feels to move and mount with the trigger depressed. One of the dangers in the early stages of using a double release is setting the trigger for the second bird on a report pair too soon. I suggest that you wait until you clearly see the second bird prior to setting the trigger for the second shot - i.e. don't just shoot the first bird and immediately reset the trigger and then look for the second bird. It's your second shot that will be the more difficult one to learn to use a release trigger on.

JMO, YMMV.
(sorry I got long winded)

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2010 9:25 am 
Crown Grade

Quote:
How do you do with a double triggered gun? If you struggle with switching, you may experience the same with a release.

Occasionally, I'll shoot a round of skeet with a double-triggered side-by-side to humor a friend of mine who shoots them exclusively. I don't have a problem with them at all on skeet. Alas, in the field is a whole different issue. Again, to humor the friend who shots nothing else, I shot a double trigger gun in the field and I pulled the first trigger twice almost every time. I even bought an LC Smith and swore I would stick with it until those two triggers were no more an issue to me than the different safety locations on the various guns I shoot. After a half-dozen dove hunts, I was no farther along in mastering two triggers, I was tired of getting pounded and I gave up.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2010 11:51 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

They have to be a last resort. If you are flinching bad enough to need one, they work, but as others have said they just scare me. I can't imagine going back and forth between a release gun and a standard trigger. Its not like going to a double trigger SXS. They work if you need it. I guess you just have to decide now is the time.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2010 1:14 pm 
Presentation Grade

sneem wrote:
...Its not like going to a double trigger SXS...

...perhaps you have more experience with switching from single to double and release to pull than I do, sneem; however, from the standpoint of the transition from "conscious incompetence" to "unconscious competence" the development is identical. Some people struggle with transitions more than others and struggling is sometimes a good thing. A good book on skill/habit development is The Talent Code---a book that every shooting coach should read. You mentioned that release triggers scare you--when fear outweighs either desire or self esteem, the remainder of the process is inert.

Mustangdriver--Gil Ash has some recommendations on learning to shoot double triggers---one of the best is to go to a skeet field and shoot doubles pulling the rear trigger first. It's awkward as heck until you get used to it, but it seems to make the transition ingrain itself quickly.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2010 1:50 pm 
Tournament Grade

I shot release/ pull triggers for years simple because it is the fastest possible 2nd barrel - not that I am tho. For me, the R/P was great and was fine from the first shot. Now I'm going back to P/P because I can no longer justify the expense of the conversions since I just shoot for fun now.

I would never use a release trigger in the field and would not even consider being there with someone who uses one. There are limits to trust imposed by reason.

WtS

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2010 11:31 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

45forme wrote:
sneem wrote:
...Its not like going to a double trigger SXS...

...perhaps you have more experience with switching from single to double and release to pull than I do, sneem; however, from the standpoint of the transition from "conscious incompetence" to "unconscious competence" the development is identical. Some people struggle with transitions more than others and struggling is sometimes a good thing. A good book on skill/habit development is The Talent Code---a book that every shooting coach should read. You mentioned that release triggers scare you--when fear outweighs either desire or self esteem, the remainder of the process is inert.

Mustangdriver--Gil Ash has some recommendations on learning to shoot double triggers---one of the best is to go to a skeet field and shoot doubles pulling the rear trigger first. It's awkward as heck until you get used to it, but it seems to make the transition ingrain itself quickly.

Well, Geez, there's the problem. I've always considered myself to be a "conscious competant" and an "unconscious Incompetant." I guess I've had it assbackwards all these years. I'm also scared of spiders and things that go bump in the dark. Do you have any books to suggest that might help me with those?

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2010 6:05 am 
Crown Grade

Most people who boo-hoo the release trigger do so out of ignorance. They are as safe as any other trigger and have advantages over pull triggers. They allow the shooter to have better control over the trigger whether they flinch or not. The late John Lynn, shooting coach for the George Mason University Trap & Skeet Team was a proponent of releases for both games for this very reason.

Most guys have gone to releases in order to continue shooting after having developed a flinch. Most do not use releases exclusively and most only use them for games in which they start with a mounted gun. Few use them for Sporting or hunting, but that doesn't mean that those games can't be shot well with releases. Probably the single biggest reason why release shooters don't shoot releases exclusively is due to the cost. Good releases are expensive. Depending on the gun, they can cost up to $500 per bbl. Those of us who shoot several different guns would find that to be cost prohibitive.

I currently shoot releases at Trap and pull triggers for everything else. I cannot shoot Trap with a pull trigger. I have never had an issue switching back and forth between a release and a pull trigger. I know that many non release shooters can't "imagine" being able to do this, but that's because they don't shoot a release, so their comments are not based in practical experience or fact. I shoot double releases for Trap doubles. I am about to switch to releases for Sporting Clays, as my flinch is getting to be a problem in that game too. The only difference will be "when" I set the trigger (which will be the instant the gun settles in the shoulder pocket).

Making a decision to go to a release is an individual one. Some do it to control flinching ten time in 25 shots. Others do it to control one flinch in 100 targets. Some suffer a flinch for years before going to a release and in the meantime, they switch guns ten times, spend thousands of dollars on recoil reducing devices and even more on different kinds of ammo. At no time during these experiments is the flinch cured.

Most people switching to releases get used to them in no time at all. I shot my first releases about 35 years ago and it took me two rounds of trap to get used to them. I've never looked back.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2010 8:17 am 
Presentation Grade

sneem wrote:
... I'm also scared of spiders and things that go bump in the dark. Do you have any books to suggest that might help me with those?
...I understand that Muller chokes will help with both of these---in fact phobias of all sorts.

Sorry I ruffled your feathers. :oops: