CalendarCalendar   Photos  * FAQ
It is currently Mon Nov 24, 2014 11:13 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: K80 with Tula Choke
PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2010 8:51 am 
Utility Grade

I just purchased a 1982 K 80 with fixed tula choke skt/skt. When I went to clean the barrel I found that there is an area at the end of the muzzle in both barrels where there is what appears to be suface rust. This like a band or ring of rust about 3/8 -1/2 inch wide. I have tried all kinds of solvents with and without a barrel brush. Nothing will remove this rough area. The gun shoots very well with an excellent pattern on the pattern board.

Has any one ever encountered any thing like this on a tula choked barrel? Any suggestions on cleaning it off would be greatly appreciated.

Addendum: Eddyrock....Hey thanks. Here is my email address. Will be looking forward to some good help. Elderkin (sandwt@live.com )

Last edited by Elderkin on Thu Jun 10, 2010 12:01 pm, edited 4 times in total.

Post subject: Re: K80 with Tula Choke
PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2010 10:27 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

1) I have a tula choked K-80 and I've seen a few others, none of which have this problem. Are you sure it's not plastic buildup? These get wad fowled worse than any other barrels I've ever seen.

2) This is an internet forum. Bother to come back here to get your responses... I'm not sending you an email. (sorry... pet peeve, especially when it comes from a first time poster).

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2010 8:34 pm 
Field Grade

Hi, a guy i shoot with is a master gunmaker. He knows well of the tula choke, he said he would tell you all about the tula, will send you a email

PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2010 1:49 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

A friend of mine has a 28" K-80 tula choke skt/skt barrel for sale for $1K which seems like a great buy for someone looking for a 28" barrel?

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2010 11:16 am 
Utility Grade

Ga.Skeet, I could be interested myself. Any chance you could post or email a couple of pictures of it? With what I have experienced with this one that I just picked up I would really like to see into the end of the muzzles. Mine was kind of deceptive as the bore and the blue are truly like new. Then when I just happened to stick my finger into the muzzle to find this residue/rust/??? I did get some advise from a guy with some direction on how to try and clean it.

Thanks,
Elderkin ( email: sandwt@live.com )

PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2010 4:15 pm 
Utility Grade

Listen up guys. Just talked with a real skeet shooting champion, Luke DesHotels ( lwdarms@aol.com ).
Luke has a history a mile long for many wins, plus is in the hall of fame. Happened to talk to him as he has a 28" Tula Choked Barrel for sale. He is a pretty busy guy and has a noted shooting facility in the Atlanta, GA area. If your looking for a barrel at a great price send him a note. If you have the time check Luke out on the NSSA.

Second, found a solution to my problem. Birchwood Casey makes a product called, "Lead Remover and Polishing Cloth". I purchased some of this and cut it into cleaning patch size pieces. Wrapped these pieces around a 10ga cleaning brush which I chucked up in my hand drill. After cleaning the choke out good I then inserted the brush etc. and polished the inide of the choke keeping the drill moving in and out. It did a great job in cleaning out the choke. Hope this may be of help if needed. Got the cloth at Gander Mtn. for $4.99.

Elderkin