CalendarCalendar   Photos  * FAQ
It is currently Wed Nov 26, 2014 7:42 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Remington 887 question
PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2010 4:44 pm 
Utility Grade

Hi guys could anybody tell me if the 887 will accept aftermarket terror chokes as i no it has a piece of plastic on the end and also will it eject RTO reloaded 31/2 inch hulls ok?

Thanks in advance

Ash

Post subject: Re: Remington 887 question
PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2010 8:20 pm 
Diamond Grade

I believe that you can change the chokes, otherwise look at the waterfowl edition, that one has the "extended" choke tube, as far as shells go, you should be good to go with anything from 2 3/4 to 3 1/2 interchangably.

NSCA#620844
Muller Mafia Fan&Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2010 6:36 am 
Limited Edition

I put an extended turkey choke in mine, the pattern sucked so I used a different gun last turkey season. The plastic does not get in the way.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2010 7:28 am 
Utility Grade

Thanks for your replies guys.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2010 7:47 am 
Diamond Grade

I have been thinking and playing with the ideal of getting a new 887 for waterfowl season, my local gun store sells them for $329 in all black which is a smoking deal. I know there have been some serious issues when this gun first came out, there have been a few design changes, and the new ones out there on the market have been flawless. Too bad the reputation was really trashed when they released this one so early. The changed the bolt carrier and a few other simple things, the only think I don't know is, how do you know if you are getting a revised one?

I contacted remington about that, and I have not heard back from them yet.

NSCA#620844
Muller Mafia Fan&Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2010 9:02 am 
Tournament Grade

I bought an aftermarket turkey choke that works great. I just had to specify what type of gun I had. Mine ejects 2 3/4 through 3 and 1/2 just fine. I had to get use to the long stroke as this was my first supermag, and I short stroked it due to muscle memory of the standard 870.

I bought mine the first of the year. I had to wait about a month because they said they were waiting on Remington to ship the updated guns. My box had a manufacturer date on it. That was the only way I cold tell I got the new version. A good friend bought an all black after shooting mine. He got his from Bass Pro. His box also had a recent manufacturer date on it. I don't know what the cut off was, but mine was made 2 of 2010 so anything after that should be the updated version.

Im still holding at just over 300 Rds. with no problems or complaints. This upcoming fall Duck and Goose season will put it to the test though. So far I have just Turkey hunted and shot blue rock with it.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2010 3:29 pm 
Diamond Grade

p246 wrote:
I bought an aftermarket turkey choke that works great. I just had to specify what type of gun I had. Mine ejects 2 3/4 through 3 and 1/2 just fine. I had to get use to the long stroke as this was my first supermag, and I short stroked it due to muscle memory of the standard 870.

I bought mine the first of the year. I had to wait about a month because they said they were waiting on Remington to ship the updated guns. My box had a manufacturer date on it. That was the only way I cold tell I got the new version. A good friend bought an all black after shooting mine. He got his from Bass Pro. His box also had a recent manufacturer date on it. I don't know what the cut off was, but mine was made 2 of 2010 so anything after that should be the updated version.

Im still holding at just over 300 Rds. with no problems or complaints. This upcoming fall Duck and Goose season will put it to the test though. So far I have just Turkey hunted and shot blue rock with it.

so do you feel that with all the bad reviews and all the bad P.R. this gun recieved, do you feel you got a good deal and have a good gun on your hands?

NSCA#620844
Muller Mafia Fan&Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2010 8:42 pm 
Crown Grade

The ones I've checked out have handled like wet fenceposts. Did Remington fix that flaw?

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2010 7:41 am 
Diamond Grade

BarryD, what do you mean "handled" like a wet fence post? are talking about the way it swang and pointed, was it too long, too short, heavy too light?

How would remington even fix that?

NSCA#620844
Muller Mafia Fan&Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2010 12:20 pm 
Crown Grade

When someone talks about shotgun handling, they are referring to balance, swing characteristics, and weight (to the degree that it impacts these).

Weight distribution matters quite a bit, and the weight distribution of the 887 is the worst I can remember ever feeling in a hunting shotgun. The 870, on the other hand, is extremely good. That's why it gained popularity over guns like the Model 12 and Model 37 when the 870 came out. While the 12 and 37 handle very well, the 870 offered a similar feel for a substantially lower price.

How would they fix it? With the 887 design, I don't know. Throw it in the trash? In theory, they could change the plastic to shift the weight a bit, but I'm not sure they could change it enough.

The 105CTi felt great, so clearly Remington hasn't completely forgotten how to do it, though.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2010 1:05 pm 
Diamond Grade

BarryD wrote:
When someone talks about shotgun handling, they are referring to balance, swing characteristics, and weight (to the degree that it impacts these).

Weight distribution matters quite a bit, and the weight distribution of the 887 is the worst I can remember ever feeling in a hunting shotgun. The 870, on the other hand, is extremely good. That's why it gained popularity over guns like the Model 12 and Model 37 when the 870 came out. While the 12 and 37 handle very well, the 870 offered a similar feel for a substantially lower price.

How would they fix it? With the 887 design, I don't know. Throw it in the trash? In theory, they could change the plastic to shift the weight a bit, but I'm not sure they could change it enough.

The 105CTi felt great, so clearly Remington hasn't completely forgotten how to do it, though.

Isn't gun feel one of those personal opinion, what if I picked it up and loved the way it felt? I think gun feel is subject to personal fit and feel, I know people that have picked up $3,000 over under's that are suppose to be "the best" and they felt like crap, shot terrible, and did not fit. Does that make that person a "idiot" just cause something carries a high price tag, doesnt mean that it's perfect.

NSCA#620844
Muller Mafia Fan&Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2010 2:05 pm 
Limited Edition

I for one must be very careful when handling potential purchases in gun shops. They always seem to fit and feel perfect in the store. Then when out in the field or on the trap & skeet range suddenly they turn into 2x4s and feel awful!

So later made 887s have (some of) the bugs fixed. Good to know. Bad for the sellers stuck with a store room full of early (say unsalable) guns.

Most importantly, how does the latest versions of the 887 compare with the Benelli Nova and SuperNova?

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2010 2:09 pm 
Crown Grade

Quote:
Isn't gun feel one of those personal opinion

Yes, but no.

With any such thing, there's such thing as subjective preferences. One person might like a BMW, another might prefer driving an Audi -- and there's also "good for the money" vs. "good but not worth the cost."

However, while one can argue over one's preference for shotguns, cars, or wine, there is such thing as a really bad shotgun, a really bad car or really bad wine. That goes beyond subjective. There is such thing as genuinely bad, and the handling of the 887 is an example.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2010 5:55 am 
Shotgun Expert
Shotgun Expert

There are some fundamental characterics of shotguns that cannot easily be altered. Whenever there is a new model, it is always good to ask yourself "why"? What is it that is improved in any way, what was the goal? Are there any features and benefits? The best Remington slide-action ever made, in the minds of many, was the Model 31. It likely was, but it never had the magic of the Winchester Model 12 and didn't compete well with it, though most would now admit it was just as well-made and dependable.

In 1951, when the 870 was introduced, purists were aghast. It was the "tin-can" pumpgun, full of cheap, stamped parts. It was not at all an instant hit. It drove former Model 31 fans straight over to the Model 12, at least those that appreciated machined parts not cheap stampings. The 870 was designed to a cheap gun to make; it was and is compared to the Model 12.

Despite it's uneven introduction and the catcalls of tin-can internals, the 870 proved itself be essentially as durable as the Model 12 at a far lower cost. It became so successful that it drove the Model 12 into extinction. It took awhile though, as the Model 12 was still in full catalog production until 1963 with runs after that from time to time.

So what is it about the 887 that is in any way, shape, or form an improvement over the 870? How is it considered even remotely the equal of it, much less an advance? The problem is, it isn't. It wasn't designed to be an improvement and they got what was designed. It was designed solely to be cheap to make. The rotating bolt is used, as it is in other cases, so you can practically make the receiver out of paper. You can go too cheap, too crummy, too Bic-lighter quality . . . Winchester found that out with the Model 1200.

To try to build a cheap gun, the 887 removes as much machining as possible. The "steel" receiver isn't much of a receiver at all-- all you have to look inside to see it is a thin, weak, skeleton.

The mile-thick, ground-up garbage can quality crude plastic is just that. The 870 has been one of the most successful waterfowl guns ever. Surely no one believes that covering a gun in thick tupperware is a good idea, or even required for a duck gun. Thin dips weatherproof a gun without the bulk and ugliness. Nitriding does the same. Neither does a thing for the inside of a barrel. Hard chrome does that, but that costs something to do, so it was avoided in the 887.

When you don't have to braze rib lugs, or even machine a rib, but rather just mold the entire thing out of soft, rough, thick plastic-- what you see is what you get. It is cheap at all costs, with as little machining or assembly required as possible. The aluminum trigger guard was added to the 870 to be cheap. But, cheap plastic is cheaper yet. The action bars are cheap stampings, stampings that aren't well secured at all to the cheap, log-like forearm. They aren't piloted into the receiver well at all. No rib to machine, no rib stantions, no brazing. No barrel polishing or surface prep at all for bluing-- as there is no bluing. Leave it as rough as you can-- it doesn't even have to be smooth enough for a good, thin, membrane dip. With soft plastic that thick, the roughness may help the cheap plastic stick better. You don't have to worry about machining and polish quality when there is none.

The balance and handling can't approach that of an 870, as there isn't enough metal as center mass to get there. It makes a Mossberg 500 look like high art by comparison. At least the SuperNova adds functionality with stock shims, and has a well-machined receiver and barrel, a hard-chromed barrel, and a far smoother action. It also practically takes itself apart. Corrosion has never been a problem with a SuperNova or a Mossberg for that matter. There's just no redeeming features or benefits to the 887 . . . even if you are fortunate to get one that actually works. It's the "Pet Rock" of pumps, the answer to the question that no one ever asked.

http://randywakeman.com

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2010 8:36 am 
Diamond Grade

Thanks Randy for that, I really appreciate that in depth look at this firearm, like stated I have been considering one for sometime now, but due to alot of really poor reviews it has steered me away from it, I agree with you that it was never designed to be a replacement for the 870, as thats what alot of people have been saying.

I have been torn between the Benelli Super Nova and the 887. My boss tells me that Benelli is garbage and that with the pump Benelli has ruined the art of shotguns, I kinda take that for a grain of salt for the simple fact that the super nova pump has a great track record.

Regardless, I would like to shoot one of these 887's and see what they are like.

NSCA#620844
Muller Mafia Fan&Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2010 8:58 am 
Crown Grade

Quote:
Regardless, I would like to shoot one of these 887's and see what they are like.

Most people, when they read or hear about celebrities dying from their autoerotic asphyxiation habits, say, "They did WHAT?!? Okay..." and go on with their days.

But there's always that one in a thousand who says, "Hmm... I'll have to TRY that!" :lol:

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2010 12:35 pm 
Tournament Grade

so do you feel that with all the bad reviews and all the bad P.R. this gun recieved, do you feel you got a good deal and have a good gun on your hands?[/quote]

Sorry for the late replay. I can only say that I have not seen some of the problems in this gun that were talked about in the reviews. The finish has not chipped off, and I have not had any evidence of rust. The gun swings well for me and it fits me fine. I might have got lucky with the fit who knows. Like I said the only problem I have had is short stroking it, which Ill have to practice to get over that. I'm very happy with the gun so far. This upcoming duck and goose season will test the finish. If it does as well then as it has so far for me it will be a winner.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2010 12:39 pm 
Tournament Grade

But there's always that one in a thousand who says, "Hmm... I'll have to TRY that!" :lol:[/quote]

I guess Im one in a thousand. I keep trying to tell my wife that to....

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2010 9:12 pm 
Diamond Grade

p246 wrote:
But there's always that one in a thousand who says, "Hmm... I'll have to TRY that!" :lol:

I guess Im one in a thousand. I keep trying to tell my wife that to....[/quote]

are you going to get a new 887?

NSCA#620844
Muller Mafia Fan&Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2010 9:42 pm 
Tournament Grade

well I got one on a whim not knowing much at the time but I do like shooting it and it's frankenstein looks. I also had a remington loylty thing going at the time. I got it really cheap too. My sg I use for action shotgun is an 870 and I am aware of the differences. My wife has a pink 870 in mossy oak too in a 20 and it a great little gun. I never though it was to replace the 870, was it really?, just thought remington was trying to spur sales in a new direction. I shoot it an smile, whats not to like about that?