CalendarCalendar   Photos  * FAQ
It is currently Tue Jul 29, 2014 1:40 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Bernardelli Gamecock... opinions please!!!
PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2010 7:09 pm 
Diamond Grade

Gentlemen,

I am looking at buying a nice looking Bernardelli Gamecock boxlock (non-ejector with NO sideplates). Really pretty to look at but how do they hold up? I've owned a Bernardelli hammer gun and I was impressed with it... wish I hadn't sold it. Any problems with these Gamecock models? What other affordable SXSs would you compare them too? Ugartechea or Miroku perhaps? Thanks!

Adam

Post subject: Re: Bernardelli Gamecock... opinions please!!!
PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2010 8:23 pm 
Tournament Grade

I have both a V & a P Bernardelli....

The V's are wonderful guns... very well made... great values
shot a great deal with it... never a problem...
I do only shoot low pressure RST or Polwad shells in it

The P is my quail gun... 28g
nowhere near the quality of the V's
but it is light... handles beautifully
never had a problem with it either

One problem... lots of people are begining to love them
so the prices are going up

Buy it you will love it...
If you don't... I would be interested!!!!

Ray

Ray

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2010 4:28 pm 
Field Grade

Its funny you ask this question, last weekend I shot a round of skeet with an old and I mean old Italian Gent. He was carrying an old beat up hard cased gun. When he opened it lo and behold there was a perfect condition H &H SXS. It was all perfect except the leather or horn butt plate was almost gone. No kidding this old feller could have been 100. He said the gun was built in the 30's he did not buy it new, we started talking and to be honest I could not understand every word but got the jist of most things he said. It turns out he had been the European Skeet and Trap shooting Champion a few times, well anyway we get up to shoot and this guy absolutely. powders the birds he did not shoot station #8 it was too hot so he went under the shade but did shoot 23 straight. Anyway we started talking guns and he said in his opinion... and he shot all the great guns is that the V Bernardelli is in his opinion second best only to the H&H. He had no use for the other Bernadelli's. He also said quite emphatically that he had no use for American Trap and Skeet ivs the International versions ts too easy according to him Take it for whats its worth.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2010 4:54 pm 
Crown Grade

The Gamecock models are well built, good handling guns. Those with 25" barrels choked IC/M should be great quail guns but, you might want to open up that modified choke a bit. The 28" M/F guns should be well suited for other upland game. IMO, the V. Bernardelli box lock SxS's are superior to any of the Basque or Miroku boxlock SxS's. I'm not aware of any inherent problems with V. Bernardelli SxS's. Perhaps some of our 'smith members who've worked on them can share their experiences.

IIRC, Stoeger imported the Vincenzo Bernardelli line of shotguns during the 1960's and 70's. Stoeger appears to have renamed Bernardelli's basic S. Uberto model as their Standard Gamecock and V.B.'s Roma 3 model with sideplates became Stoeger's Deluxe Gamecock (the sideplates on the Deluxe Gamecock are fitted with 5 small false screw pins and one larger screw pin to simulate the pins and tumbler axle of a sidelock action).

FWIW, the Standard Gamecock sold new for $230.- in the early 70's; just a few dollars more than some of the low end Basque guns of the day. I'm still kicking myself for not buying a V.B. Italia model hammer gun back then.

Montani Semper Liberi

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2010 6:15 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

It has been a long time, but I still have many fond memories of a wonderful little 20 gauge Gamecock many moons ago. No bad memories at all.