CalendarCalendar   Photos  * FAQ
It is currently Fri Oct 31, 2014 5:56 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: possible to remove the disconnector of a modern shotgun?
PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2004 3:40 pm 
either a mossberg 500 or remington 870.

Post subject: Re: possible to remove the disconnector of a modern shotgun?
PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2004 5:34 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Not easily done and a really bad idea even if you could, from both safety and legal standpoints.

Don't even think about it- no kidding.

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2004 5:45 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Let me give you another reason why it is a bad idea.

Because the gun will be LESS effective for self-defense without the disconnector.

Now I know that the reason you want to do it is so you can shoot more shots faster in a self-defense situation. But all you can accomplish by slam-firing the gun is to spray shot all around your assailant until you are out of ammo, leaving yourself defensless, facing someone whom you have wounded just badly enough to make him really, really mad! You would be a heck of a lot better off to shoulder the gun, point it, and make every shot count.

You would be amazed at how many shots miss in a fire-fight, and how few hit anything important. The winner of a gun battle is not the one who fired the most shots, but the one who fired one well-aimed shot (or in the case of shotguns at short range, one well-pointed shot).

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2004 6:40 pm 
i will decide how safe or effective it is

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2004 6:53 pm 
Crown Grade

Anonymous wrote:

You could at least be more courteous guest. Both Mr.Ben and JWiley seem to know what they are talking about.

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2004 7:39 pm 
Crown Grade

While I may agree with 'Mr.Ben and JWiley", and their experience and reasoning about why doing what the original poster proposed is not 'smart' or safe...It does in no way allow me to disagree with...

Quote:

that our 'Guest' posted...

I can not even begin to (nor would I ever think to) argue against this blatant example of personal responsibility...

Individual responsibility is the answer...Not the 'collective responsibility' that I see being forced down our 'collective' craw...

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2004 8:19 pm 
Tournament Grade

The fact that you, Mr. Guest, have to ask whether or not such a thing is possible proves to me that you neither have the knowledge nor the maturity to make these decisions. Whenever it comes to learning from others, sir, don't you think it is best to check your ego at the door?
-Lazarus

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2004 8:43 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

This "Guest" is the exact same one inquiring on another thread about disassembling shotgun shells and trying to reload them without a loading press. He may be the same guy (I forget the name he used) who was on here a couple months ago and telling about all the neat, crazy, weird tricks that his "cousin" allegedly knew about guns. Of course, at least half of his cousin's tricks would get an eye put out or a hand blown off. I suspect what we have is a juvenile about 14 years old with little knowledge of guns and even less manners.

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2004 10:19 pm 
this is the only thread i have started, i didnt come here to argue the merits of usefulness or safety. i am already well aware of those issues. if you have a different opinion on them thats fine but i dont wish to debate about that. if you do then you should start a seperate thread and find someone else to argue with. you will not sway me, there is no point to debate further, that is why i made the simple statement i will decide for myself. Ulysses and Lazarus please do not troll for arguments in this thread any further.

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2004 10:33 pm 
Tournament Grade

MrBen wrote:
Now I know that the reason you want to do it is so you can shoot more shots faster in a self-defense situation. But all you can accomplish by slam-firing the gun is to spray shot all around your assailant until you are out of ammo, leaving yourself defensless, facing someone whom you have wounded just badly enough to make him really, really mad! You would be a heck of a lot better off to shoulder the gun, point it, and make every shot count.
You would be amazed at how many shots miss in a fire-fight, and how few hit anything important. The winner of a gun battle is not the one who fired the most shots, but the one who fired one well-aimed shot (or in the case of shotguns at short range, one well-pointed shot).

I have a question based on this theory - I read all the time about home defence weapons etc. and best home defence strategies - how often have you guys EVER had to use these practices? how many times have you had the misfortune to keep missing in a "fire-fight" (my guess is never), I never read about these situations in the newspaper.
I am all in favor of owning guns and I own some myself, but I do so because I want to, not because I feel that I NEED to justify why I own guns to anyone.

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2004 3:47 am 
Limited Edition

:D
Boys, boys! Please.
If "Guest" is so qualified to judge the safety, practicality, effectiveness, etc, et al, of what he may be contemplating, then he will endure, with aplomb, serenity, and mature resignation, the consequences of that, or any other &#$^@! stupid course he might deem fit to follow.
All we, as responsible "shootists" need do is wait for the TV news to announce the result, should it be so dire as it promises to be.
As for you, "Guest", please don't ask a question unless you wish to receive honest answers...OK? No one among us is lurking in ambush. We simply respond with sincere and usually well-informed answers that are based on experience (our own, or that of others), common sense, and a genuine, almost missionary, desire to help. This is especially so when someone's safety may be at stake.
Lancer6

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2004 11:04 am 
Crown Grade

Ulysses wrote:
This "Guest" is the exact same one inquiring on another thread about disassembling shotgun shells and trying to reload them without a loading press. He may be the same guy (I forget the name he used) who was on here a couple months ago and telling about all the neat, crazy, weird tricks that his "cousin" allegedly knew about guns. Of course, at least half of his cousin's tricks would get an eye put out or a hand blown off. I suspect what we have is a juvenile about 14 years old with little knowledge of guns and even less manners.
Do you mean "Horse Sense"? Oh no!!!! :x

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2004 11:36 am 
Crown Grade

Ulysses wrote:
This "Guest" is the exact same one inquiring on another thread about disassembling shotgun shells and trying to reload them without a loading press.

Nope not the same guy , just someone with no manners

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2004 5:26 pm 
i was never impolite, i was brief and to the point, and i voiced my own opinion which differed from your collective beliefs. im sure you all know whats best for me. what to eat, what to buy, what to think, what to feel but i didnt come here for your programming or to debate, i came here for information. if i want to have the most inaccurate and unsafe shotgun of all time are you going to stop me for my own good by withholding information? how communist of you.

if you feel such a great responsibility for the community maybe you should chain yourselves to a gunstore counter so that no one can buy dangerous guns which will discharge when they are dropped, or single action 1911's which can come off safe and accidentally discharge, or prevent people from buying any semiautomatic rifles because they have a possibility to slamfire, or prevent them from buying any gun at all because it can be used in a murder or a suicide!

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2004 6:15 pm 
Crown Grade

Anonymous wrote:

Ok disregard the years of experience both Mr Ben and JWiley have.
You'll be the one explaining why the hole got shot in the side of the house or when out practicing it goes off and hits a bystander when you cycle the action.

And you and your loved ones will be the ones who are dead because you couldn't hit your point of aim because the gun wiggled when you cranked another round into it.

Or maybe you'll win the gunfight but you'll lose the legal battle because the gun was altered "to kill".

But thank you for bringing your superior knowledge here and asking a question then disputing the answers you got. You really brought us all down a notch. :roll:

We aren't accustomed here to giving out info that will cause loss of life or limb. Especially info that has been proven in many tests to be inneffective to begin with.

Last edited by MarlandS on Sat May 15, 2004 6:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2004 6:16 pm 
Reloading Expert
Reloading Expert

Guest;

Give it a rest! You are begining to wear out your welcome!

BP

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2004 7:26 pm 
marland, only an incompetant a$$ such as yourself would point a loaded weapon at someone, let alone cycle the action while its pointed at them. i would like to know who conducted these tests you speak of and where the results are published. feel free to admit you were lying at any time. i dont live in fear of what a lawyer will say at trial, and i dont rely on a mechanical safety device to prevent accidents :roll:

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2004 8:44 pm 
Crown Grade

Anonymous wrote:
marland, only an incompetant a$$ such as yourself would point a loaded weapon at someone, let alone cycle the action while its pointed at them.

You know as well as I do the best and worst safety on a firearm is the person operating it. 100's of competent people are killed in such a way each year with guns that aren't modified.

Quote:
i would like to know who conducted these tests you speak of and where the results are published. feel free to admit you were lying at any time.

Sorry i don't have time to do your homework for you

[quote ] i dont live in fear of what a lawyer will say at trial, [/quote]
It's the jury you have to worry about .

Quote:
and i dont rely on a mechanical safety device to prevent accidents :roll:

Again, the best and worst safety on a firearm is the person operating it.

Had you been competent you would have either (a) posted this question in the correct forum or (b) used the search feature and found that older Ithaca 37's didn't have a disconnector and would slam fire while being virtually impossible to wear out.

Bottom line, mossy 500 or Rem 870 = doable but with implications and liabilities involved.
older Ithaca's 37's and the Win 97 clone from Norinco (unless the design has been updated) designed for it and no dirty little liabilities involved.

have a wonderful day.

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2004 9:16 pm 
Field Grade

can some one explain what the disconnector is? I have no intent to remove it, just curious. And what is the result of removing it?

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2004 9:40 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

A disconnector is a little do-hickey in the trigger mechanism that won't let the gun fire a round until the trigger has been released from firing the previous round. This keeps people from just holding the trigger back and firing a round as fast as they can slam a new round into the chamber.

This shouldn't present any real problem for someone willing to practice a little bit. Even with a disconnector in place, some people can fire 5 rounds from a semiauto in about one-half second.