CalendarCalendar   Photos  * FAQ
It is currently Wed Sep 03, 2014 1:59 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Franchi Falconet
PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2010 10:11 am 
Utility Grade

I've got a chance to buy a very nice example of this gun, haven't seen it in person yet. The serial is 2009xxx. Anyone have any opinions on this model as a skeet or bird gun? The aluminum makes me a little leery. I think I could buy it for $350. Thanks for any input.

Post subject: Re: Franchi Falconet
PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2010 1:10 pm 
Crown Grade

Franchi Falconet field grade guns were built with a frame machined from a solid block of Dural (aluminum) alloy. The Dural frames were available in an anodized Buckskin Tan or Ebony finish. The Dural framed guns varied in weight from slightly less than 6 pounds for .410 bore and 28 gauge up to 6-1/4 pounds for 16 and 12 gauge guns. 1971 prices ranged from $295.- to $335.-. Depending on gauge, Falconet field grade models were available with 24", 26" 28" or 30" barrels.

A field grade "Silver" model having a "pickle-silver" frame and a weight of 7 pounds was available in 12 gauge only and priced at$326.-. Catalogues of the era do not state whether the frame of the Silver model is Dural or steel. Due to the increased weight and different finish on the frame, this model may possibly have a steel frame.

Falconet target grade guns have a forged steel frame which was color case hardened. Skeet and Trap models were available in standard and international versions with weights of approx. 8 pounds. Skeet guns have 26" barrels. Trap guns have 30" barrels. Prices ranged from $395.- to $580.-.

Current values for Falconet field models have ranged from $200.- (poor) up to $550.- (NIB). Values for Skeet and Trap models have ranged from $250.- (poor) up to $1,000.- (NIB). As always, check the on-line auctions for real life prices PAID.

Montani Semper Liberi

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2010 4:44 pm 
Tournament Grade

I have owned several of the Falconets both the Duraluminum frame and steel frame models. All served well with only one problem. The foreend catch frame. If it has a crosshatch pattern on it, it is made of plastic and prone to breaking. If it is smooth, it is made of metal and will last forever. One other adviso: don't dry fire without snap caps or a spent shell as the firing pins can break.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2010 1:42 pm 
Utility Grade

Thanks for the info. If I buy it I'll post some photos.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2010 10:49 pm 
Utility Grade

Well, I bought this gun for $250, it turns out that it's never been fired. The original sales receipt was for an even $200 in November of 1970. Is there a compelling reason to keep it unfired? I don't think it's collectable enough for that, I should probably just go shoot some clays with it. It seems like too nice a gun to not use it. Is this gun going to actually go up in value and if so, will some light use make much difference? Actually I'm more intrigued by the ithaca Nitro Special I bought from the same owner for $70. Thanks for any input.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2010 4:46 pm 
Crown Grade

Many folks will equate "unfired" with mint condition. If, in fact, that is the case here, $250.- sounds like a very reasonable price for an unfired Falconet. Based on a comparison of original MSRP vs. current values, I don't believe that Falconets will increase appreciably in the future. It is my understanding that replacement parts are now made of unobtainium. You may want to verify that with Franchi. I would also suggest that you contact some of the parts dealers (Numrich Gun Parts Corp., etc.) and purchase some spares, if available. Its cheap insurance.

If the Nitro Special is chambered for other than 12 gauge, check the chamber length to verify that it is suitable for modern cartridges (many of the 16 gauge Nitros were chambered for 2-9/16" shells and should not used with 2-3/4" shells).

Montani Semper Liberi

PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2010 3:22 pm 
Utility Grade

Well, I can't call it mint. It has a couple handling marks. I guess this will be a shooter, I will indeed see if numrich has any parts available. The Nitro is a 12, should be good to go with 2-3/4 shells. I do have to find a buttstock, the one on it isn't original and it's cracked in a bad spot. Too bad, the rest is real nice. Thanks for the input.