CalendarCalendar   Photos  * FAQ
It is currently Mon Dec 22, 2014 4:18 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: skeet gun vs. trap gun
PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2010 12:15 am 
Utility Grade

I've shot a little bit of both skeet and trap with my Beretta AL391. What are the differences in a skeet gun and trap gun, for example the O/U's as listed on Beretta's web site? Can you buy barrel inserts (20ga/.410) for most O/U's? I like the looks of an O/U and am thinking of getting one that I would use for both trap and skeet.

Sky

Post subject: Re: skeet gun vs. trap gun
PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2010 2:39 am 
Crown Grade

Trap gun set up correctly, it's going to swing slower to shoot about 18" high at 32 yards, and set up more on the head upright side.

Skeet gun, swings a tad more faster, weight more center balanced than forward weighted as the trap gun, and more of a head down position. Also, the impact of the gun is set up for around 19 yards for barrel regulation, verse the 32 yards as the trap gun.

Beside barrel regulation if a fixed rib barrel and barrel length itself, a gun can be set up for either as single discipline, but may need to be reconfigured to shoot the other other effectually.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2010 9:23 am 
Presentation Grade

For me, no difference except the choke. My barrel shoots to the same place and the stock is straight trap. But then again, I shoot skeet, "gun-up", just like I shoot trap.
I don't think there are that many shooters who shoot competitive Skeet and Trap with more or less equal passion. The few I do know, like me, use the same gun with just a choke change.
The modern competitive game of American Skeet favours a gun setup so close to a conventional Trap setup that it makes next to no difference (bar the chokes).
International Skeet (gun down) is a very different matter. From the little I have seen, their guns are very much more like modern competition Sporting Clays guns.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2010 9:29 am 
Field Grade

Interesting discussion.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2010 1:30 pm 
Field Grade

For me if I shoot a trap gun at skeet I have to really float the targets to hit them. If I shoot a skeet gun for trap I have to "cover up" the targets to avoid shooting under them. In my opinion you need the correct gun to be good at whatever dicipline you are shooting. I know people who shoot both registered trap and skeet well, but they don't use the same gun. For recreation sure use the same gun but when you've paid your entry fees and each target counts I would recommend looking for dedicated Trap/skeet guns.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2010 3:13 pm 
Limited Edition

I agree with Hughy 99% of what he is saying. Let me say though that in sporting clays and some FITASC shooting. Repersent alot of the shots you'll see in both games trap/skeet. In skeet maybe High 2, low 6, and all of station 8, ( which should be removed from the game). Are the possible exceptions.

I'd personally cover up some targets due to panic and not having my head in the game when I shot registered skeet and trap.

I'm a firm advocate of being in the zone and letting yourself shoot subconcoiusly at all time possible. If you let it get into your head that your gun is only good for one thing. Than it problably will be. The big dogs and those for a passion for what they shoot and for money may disagree and rightfuly so to an extent. But I think the majority will be be just fine with one gun they are confident and comfortable with. IMHO

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2010 5:15 pm 
Utility Grade

Thanks for the replies. To take the discussion a little further...

Again, Beretta. If you compare their 686 White Onyx in their "Field" category to the same in their "Competition" category, it appears that barrel length is the difference. Looking just at their competition category, it looks as if their trap guns have a parellel comb whereas the skeet guns do not.

A Beretta dealer, a few years ago, said many shooters in skeet buy an O/U and use 20 ga and .410 barrel inserts versus buying a seperate gun in each caliber. True?

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2010 6:21 pm 
Presentation Grade

My gun has a single barrel that loads itself between shots. :lol:
We also shoot the majority of our Trap targets "Double Barrel". To be sure I am the exception in using this type of gun for trap. Strangely, I don't notice that I 'float the skeet targets, although I probably do, and I certainly don't 'cover' the trap targets. No one at all uses a single barrel trap gun here. That is one big difference.
But I take the point because when I use my sporting gun for trap I do have to 'cover' them.
The point I was really trying to make is that modern 'gun-up' double barrel skeet guns are virtually the same as most double barrel trap guns used in this country.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2010 6:58 pm 
Field Grade

When I was in the Navy one of our Officers had an OU shotgun he shot both Trap and Skeet with. I think it was a Browning two barrel set. For Skeet he used a 26" SK/SK barrel. For Trap he used a 30" IM/F. He shot it well. I thought it was the perfect clay target shotgun at the time.

Today, I shot a deadicated Trap shotgun (870 Comp) and a deadicated skeet shotgun (3200 with tubes). I like the 870 Comp for the recoil reduction system and shooting the subgauges at skeet. I can't take the recoil anymore.

The 870Compman

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2010 8:51 pm 

skyrider wrote:
Thanks for the replies. To take the discussion a little further...

Again, Beretta. If you compare their 686 White Onyx in their "Field" category to the same in their "Competition" category, it appears that barrel length is the difference. Looking just at their competition category, it looks as if their trap guns have a parellel comb whereas the skeet guns do not.

A Beretta dealer, a few years ago, said many shooters in skeet buy an O/U and use 20 ga and .410 barrel inserts versus buying a seperate gun in each caliber. True?

Arguably most skeet shooters, and inarguably all top skeet shooters, shoot a "tubed" o/u. Take a 12 ga gun of suitable quality and fitting to your tastes, and send it to Briley or Kolar, and it will come back with 20 ga, 28 ga and 410 bore full length custom machined tubes ("inserts" if you must). Many shooters do not bother with the 12 ga at all, shooting the 20 for 12 and doubles. Others will weight the bare barrel to shoot the 12, or have a matching heavy barrel that matches the weight of the tube barrel. Thus the same gun with the same weight, balance and feel is shot through all events of competition.

The above may or may not apply to recreational skeet shooters. If you want a Beretta competition gun, leave the 686 series alone. You are looking for one of the 682 series, or a DT10 if you want to spend a little more. Parallel vs a "drop" comb is a question of personal choice, addressing both gun fit and comfort.

Kill 'em all

PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2010 11:38 am 
Limited Edition

The 686 will last the average shooter a very long time if not life. The 682 has gone from thick to thicker back to a little thicker dementions. Than the 686 series. You get an adj. trigger in a current 682 and that's nice. You can have Briley in stall one in a 686 while it is being tubed if you choose.Not an adj. But mechanical for shooting .410 if you go that route.

You will go easily out of your $3,000.00 window if you add two tube sets to whatever one you choose. 686/682. you can always add an adj. comb or pad or adj. recoil pad. Again price will go up.

I say again look around. Someone trying to get out of the game may have the deal for you.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2010 1:24 am 
Tournament Grade

I shoot registered trap (doubles), skeet, 5 stand and sporting clays with the same gun, a Browning Special Sporting. Up until Jan of this year I used to shoot singles and handicap trap with it also, but I bought a BT-99 for a retirement gift. It (o/u) shoots a 70/30 pattern, so I float skeet and close sporting targets. Get ya a good o/u, shoot it alot and enjoy it!

PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2010 11:14 am 
Crown Grade

Location: somewhere east of the I-95 corridor, until you get to connecticut. but you can bank on vanzant, mo..
birdhunter nailed it.
field and SC guns are normally 50/50 patterns.
skeet is 60/40
and trap is 70/30.

thats..% of pattern above or below the sight plane.

thats the big difference between skeet/trap and sc guns.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 26, 2010 8:13 am 
Field Grade

The first couple of years that I shot competition, it was with one gun. First was a SKB 705 trap gun with 32" barrels and screw in chokes. At the time I couldn't afford a dedicated gun for each discipline, at the time I shot a lot more trap than anything else so a trap gun was the choice. As time passed I bought a Citori Plus 32" with a complete set of chokes and continued the practice. Now I have a number of specific guns to choose from in the safe, but it seems that I always shoot better with a monte carlo stocked trap gun with about a 60/40% pattern no matter what game I shoot. After trying for a couple of years to shoot a tubed skeet gun I went back to shooting my trap doubles gun at skeet and shot my best score in a couple of years at the Great Eastern last week. It seems like having the same gun mount and sight picture works better for me no matter what clay target sport I'm shooting.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 26, 2010 11:05 pm 
Field Grade

I shoot a plane jane Stoeger Condor for both. Until recently I was a trap only guy with a 23.8 average over the last few years. I recently joined a club near where I work with a skeet field and looked forward to giving it a shot. I grabbed the Stoeger and hit the field and shot an 18 my first round. I thought that was excellent and I was very pleased. I had the mod. in the bottom barrel, and the i.c. in the top barrel. I use that same exact setup every time I shoot skeet and trap. I am still very new to skeet, but every time I shoot, I get more confident about my movements, never once have I even considered my gun to be causing any misses.

Sometimes I think people over-analyze things and make them more complicated. I went out there..missed a few hard rights and lefts on the middle stations of the skeet field, adjusted accordingly and I hit them hard enough to make me confident when I shoot the next time.

When I miss, which is allot, I think about how to change my approach not how I can change my gun. I like my humble Stoeger, it has a straight barrel, and never mis-fires.

Every man is different, try the keep is simple approach and you may be surprised.

Ruger Red Label, Stoeger Condor, Mossberg 500, Mossberg 835.