CalendarCalendar   Photos  * FAQ
It is currently Fri Oct 31, 2014 3:00 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Need 20 gauge Red Dot recipe.
PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2010 4:38 pm 
Presentation Grade

Just got my new Mec Sizemaster in 12 gauge, been using a Lee Load-All. Quite a difference between the 2 machines to say the least. I'll get it up and running soon, making all the 12 gauge trap loads we need. I kept the Lee and got the 20 gauge conversion kit for it, 20 bucks what the heck. We don't use a lot of 20s but I'd like to load my own and the Lee will be good enough for that. Here's my questions. I've been using Red Dot since I started reloading last year and would like to continue using only Red Dot if I can. I'd like to see a 20 gauge target load with 7/8s oz. of #8 shot at about 1150 fps. That should make a pretty mild yet effective target load. How many grains of Red Dot will I need to achieve this result? Can I use Red Dot in the 20 gauge at all? I could not find this info in my Lyman book, everything but Red Dot. Any help?
With 12 grand kids I'll be doing my best to bring some of the next generation into the shooting sports. BB guns, 22s and a 20 gauge or two. That should do it.

Post subject: Re: Need 20 gauge Red Dot recipe.
PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2010 4:49 pm 
Crown Grade

There used to be load data utilizing Red Dot in one brand of hulls but advances in pressure equipment showed that the pressure peaks were well past the SAAMI maximums at times. That effectively stopped anyone from publishing that data in future recipes. I would recommend Unique or Herco for the 20 ga as it is much better suited for that purpose as well as being appropriate for any heavy 12 ga loads you may need. Universal Clays and 20/28 are two others that I can recommend with the former being very similar to Unique in types of application.
In any event, do not use Red Dot as it places undue stress on the gun and components.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2010 5:12 pm 
Shotgun Expert
Shotgun Expert

abbyridge wrote:
Can I use Red Dot in the 20 gauge at all?

No, forget it.

http://randywakeman.com

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2010 5:21 pm 
Crown Grade

Did you find published loads for Red Dot in a 20 gauge in Lyman's 5th edition or Alliants website reloaders guide? You didn't. That should have told you it's not a good idea.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2010 7:21 pm 
Presentation Grade

Thanks for the quick replys! Looks like I'll buy some different powder for the 20 gauge loads.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2010 7:41 pm 
Diamond Grade

I use International Clays in my 20 gauge reloads, its very clean and meters well. As mentioned, Red Dot is much to fast for the 20 gauge. Herco is great for 1 oz loads, Unique will work well for target loads - it works in every gauge if you want to stock only one powder.

Some people could use a real lesson in courteousy though...

Alright you primitive screwheads, listen up. See this? This is my boomstick! It's a twelve gauge double barreled Remington, S-Mart's top-of-the- line. You can find this in the sporting goods department. That's right for about $109.95. That's right.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2010 6:12 am 
Diamond Grade

Here's a 3/4 oz. load using promo, although one could use Red dot also:
viewtopic.php?f=13&t=71171&p=543594#p543594

IIRC, Case had a similar load pressure tested, but used a hotter winchester primer, and got near SAAMI max. pressures, therefore I'd stick to Rem. primers.