CalendarCalendar   Photos  * FAQ
It is currently Fri Apr 25, 2014 12:59 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Pacific Reloaders
PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2004 6:55 pm 
I am looking into buying a Pacific 105 Shell Reloader and was wondering if you anybody had any feedback on it or Pacific equipment in general. Responses, good or bad are appreciated.

Post subject: Re: Pacific Reloaders
PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2004 7:08 pm 
Crown Grade

I absolutely LOVE my Pacific Dl260 reloader! New isn't always better :wink: . They were defiantly well made and durable. No plastic parts to break either. You can order bushings for it here:

http://www.hornady.com/shop/?page=shop/ ... 147d974ce0

Call them if you have any further questions.

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2004 7:11 pm 
Reloading Expert
Reloading Expert

I don't know what the 105 was, but Pacific made a single-stage press called the DL-155 and a progressive called the DL-366. Maybe the 105 predated the DL-155, but that would be taking us back into at least the mid-60s.

Hornady bought Pacific many years ago, and the progressive model (upgraded to swing-out wad guide and auto indexing) is now being sold as the Hornday 366. I don't believe Hornady ever did market a single-stage shotshell press like the DL-155.

All of the Pacific presses, shotshell and metallic, that I used were good machines for the day and time. The DL-155 was a very rugged single-stage press and used basically the same type of swaging die/ring to resize the brass as is currently on the MEC 600 Jr.

If I remember correctly, the same bushings that fit the progressive DL-366 also fit the single-stage press, so I suppose the current Hornady bushings will fit the Pacific press you are looking at.

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2004 8:10 pm 
Reloading Expert
Reloading Expert

The Pacific 105 is kind of a cheapie. The 155 is exponentialy better! It will, however; load shotgun shells! My son has one that I believe he gave $15 for and that is about all it is worth, in my opinion. Pacific as a general rule is very good equipment. It goes way back to some of the Pioneers of the business. Lachmiller, Bair, Pacific, and finaly in about '71 Hornady aquired them along with Western Gun of Lincoln. For a short while Hornady was actually in the retail gun business in a building just west of the then bullet factory. They divested themselves of that fairly quickly and consentrated on Bullets, ammo and Loading equipment. If I was to look for a used single stage Pacific/Hornady shotgun shell loader, my first choice will be the DL-266 with the DL-155 following up fairly closely. The 366 is an improvement on the old Pacific 360 and maybe even a model 350. There were a lot of different models and that was a looooong time ago. Yes, the current bushings from Hornady fit the Pacific, as well as Bair, P/W, Spolar and as I've read recently in the new IMR guide the RCBS press. I think Texan is the same size too. The external dimensions are the same but the labeling is different. Pacific/Hornady bushing numbers are the decimal measurement of the hole in the bushing. Other manufacturers use a different numeric and alfphaetic designation system. The Pacific seems to make the most sense to me. Unless the 105 is almost free, wait it out for a 155! Somewhere in the $30 to $50 range should get you a very nice 155 and it may even have a primer feed on it. Me, I have 2 Bair 405s. Very similar to the 155, but with a bit different shot and powder tube arrangement on it with built in shutoffs. If you can find one of them, they too are a good press. Like I said, I have 2 of them, one set up for 20 and the other 28. You can make Honady/Pacific parts fit it too.

BP

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2004 9:16 pm 
Good posts! Great responses.

Nothing wrong with a DL-105 if you know where one is, Ttuguy.

However, the DL-155 is indeed a considerably BETTER press and much much more durable than the DL-105.

I have three DL-266's, but sold a DL-155 around Thanksgiving last year. Get either one of those presses if you have a choice, although a '105 could be a heckuva buy at the right price.

Regarding the DL-155's / 266's, I have corresponded with Hornady and many of the DL-366 parts still in stock will fit those presses or die-sets.

Only thing wrong with Pacific presses is that Hornady discontinued them!

PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2004 12:00 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

If you buy the 105 press as everyone mentioned it will use the same bushings at the current 366, but weigh your powder charge. Weighing is always a good idea, but years ago Hornady/Pacific had different charts for their loaders depending on the model. What they expected a for example a number 462 bushing to throw in a 366 would be different in 105. I don't remember whether the difference was higher or lower, but I remember seeing multiple charts in the manual for Pacific loaders.

Post subject: Pacific Reloaders
PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2004 1:37 pm 
Thanks a lot for all your responses

PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2004 2:47 pm 
Reloading Expert
Reloading Expert

A progreessive press throws less powder per bushing size since it throws a charge with every pull. A single stage has several pulls that you don't throw a charge and it tends to settle the powder charge just a little causing it to throw a bit heavier than the same bushing in the progressive.

BP

Post subject: re: Pacific Reloaders
PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2007 6:23 pm 
Tournament Grade

Feel free to stop at my website, pacificreloaders.awardspace.com for any info you need on any Pacific reloaders.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2007 9:02 am 
Utility Grade

Steel,

was all excited to see your site and got the, " page not found". Is the site down, or is it my settings?

brett d.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2007 9:07 am 
Tournament Grade

I might have been working on it at the time. It might also be the crappy host I am currently using. Use the link on my signature. I am almost done with the reloader's manuals. The 366 is the last one. I also added a forum for any questions. Now if I could just get google to host it.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2007 6:27 pm 
Limited Edition

steel_warrior,
I really like your site!!! It brings back a LOT of pleasnt memories when my Uncle Geroge taught me how to reload shotshells.
Would you are any readers know where I could obtain a primer feed for the progressive model 360????
Sure appreciate your help.

Ray