CalendarCalendar   Photos  * FAQ
It is currently Sun Dec 21, 2014 1:39 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Walmart Federal Multi Purpose Ammo- Is it really Top Gun?
PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2010 9:07 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Hello All: If you look at Federal's website, they don't list the "Multi-Purpose" ammo thats sold at Walmart. The specs look like the Top Gun stuff to me.
Does anyone know if its just re-branded Top Gun, or is it a cheaper round made for Wally?

The eye of the master can do more work than both hands.

Experience keeps a dear school but fools will learn in no other.

Post subject: Re: Walmart Federal Multi Purpose Ammo- Is it really Top Gun
PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2010 10:04 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

I don't think so.

The blue box multi-purpose ammo I have seen at places like Gander Mountain, as well as Walmart, and it is neither the bulk (brick) packed 'Promos" nor a branded hunting or target load that you might find in a catalog. I was in Phoenix the other day and a walmart there had the blue boxes for $4.25 each, while here in dallas they don't carry them that I have seen. It's bargain ammo suitable for informal light game hunting, dove, rabbits, etc, or recreational clay shooting.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2010 10:37 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Claysmoke27 wrote:
Hello All: If you look at Federal's website, they don't list the "Multi-Purpose" ammo thats sold at Walmart. The specs look like the Top Gun stuff to me.
Does anyone know if its just re-branded Top Gun, or is it a cheaper round made for Wally?

I asked this question of the Federal sales rep who supplies our 4H team and the answer was yes: same shot, bulk powder, primer and wad. Federal Customer service had the same answer--and added that Federal makes a 'train load' at once.

FWIW the same bulk components go into Estate Target loads. Got in to this discussion as this year's club Federals are Federal Target, last years's were Estate and the club shot a bunch of the Multi-Purpose Wal*Mart shells as at the time they were just over $5.00 per box with tax.

Subjectively--I'd rank Remington Club's a bit a head of the Federal/Estate/Walmart. Preferable to Win Super Target and Win Universal/promo dove loads when looking for a lower cost target load.

Shoot Well,

FS

FS

A strong body makes the mind strong. As to the species of exercise, I advise the gun. This gives moderate exercise to the body & it gives boldness, enterprise, and independence to the mind. Let your gun be your constant companion.
T. Jefferson (1785)

PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2010 11:20 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Thanks FS, great info. :D

PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2010 9:37 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

nody wrote:
I don't think so.

The blue box multi-purpose ammo I have seen at places like Gander Mountain, as well as Walmart, and it is neither the bulk (brick) packed 'Promos" nor a branded hunting or target load that you might find in a catalog. I was in Phoenix the other day and a walmart there had the blue boxes for $4.25 each, while here in dallas they don't carry them that I have seen. It's bargain ammo suitable for informal light game hunting, dove, rabbits, etc, or recreational clay shooting.

The blue box is their "Game Shok" line, that's shown on their website.
I was asking about the red and black boxed stuff they sell in a 4-pack, its marked "Multi Purpose" and not shown on the website.
I've used the cheap Game Shok for skeet in my 303, and its great. The Multi Purpose is too, but I was wondering if the Top Gun was worth a little more.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 10, 2010 10:02 pm 
Presentation Grade

it's good ammo no matter what it is,
shoots great in all my shotguns

PostPosted: Sun Jul 11, 2010 11:30 am 
Presentation Grade

I broke 90/100 at Spoting clays with the Wall-Mart stuff and I can't reload a box at that price.