CalendarCalendar   Photos  * FAQ
It is currently Sat Nov 29, 2014 3:35 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Famars shotgun problems anyone?
PostPosted: Sun Jun 27, 2010 12:08 pm 
Utility Grade

Anyone on this board own a Famars and had to deal with the company for repair/defective workmanship?
Gary

Post subject: Re: Famars shotgun problems anyone?
PostPosted: Mon Jun 28, 2010 8:57 am 
Diamond Grade

If you're talking Famars Abbiatico & Salvinelli I don't think defective workmanship is going to come into the mix very often if ever. I'm sure thier service department will take care of any problem that would arise but being though I's basicly a hand crafted shotgun travel time to Italy has to be considered.
If you are talking Armi Famars that another matter. Saying "Famars" you must make the distinction much like when tossing the name Rizzini or Charles Daly around. The difference is like night and day as to which maker you're talking about. I don't know of anyone who owns an Armi Famars so in that your guess is as good as anyone.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 28, 2010 10:16 am 
Crown Grade

Which model gun is it? Their previously marketed Dove Gun?

"Support our troops; we'll need them to overthrow our government"

PostPosted: Mon Jun 28, 2010 12:02 pm 
Utility Grade

I am talking A & S Famars. yes, their Dove Gun which is really thier Excaliber model.
I had one made last year. After a year to make it, I received it with a warped rib and the gun doubled 79% of the time.
After two return trips to Italy, always at my expense ($650) each time, it still did not work and they did not straighten the rib.
I gave up and had a great gunsmith (Kenny Eversull) in Louisiana finally fix the triggers. I gave up on the rib and decided to leave it as is.
Now last week the lower barrel exploded at the muzzle end and split open. The side ribs connecting the barrels pealed back like a banana.
Now Famars tells me they will put a new barrel on but i must again pay for shipping to and ffrom Italy and taxes and duties.
Insane, never again.
Gary

PostPosted: Mon Jun 28, 2010 1:41 pm 
Crown Grade

That's too bad you never got that thing straightened out - I can't believe a company that makes something like that and costs what I know it does, does not stand behind their product - guess you're back to your Beretta 687 EELL, huh?...;)

PostPosted: Mon Jun 28, 2010 3:51 pm 
Diamond Grade

IMHO find it hard to believe a gun that costs run in the $18,000 range and up is getting out of Famar A&S or any other maker like them with the problems you discribe.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 28, 2010 4:14 pm 

garyton wrote:
I am talking A & S Famars. yes, their Dove Gun which is really thier Excaliber model.
I had one made last year. After a year to make it, I received it with a warped rib and the gun doubled 79% of the time.
After two return trips to Italy, always at my expense ($650) each time, it still did not work and they did not straighten the rib.
I gave up and had a great gunsmith (Kenny Eversull) in Louisiana finally fix the triggers. I gave up on the rib and decided to leave it as is.
Now last week the lower barrel exploded at the muzzle end and split open. The side ribs connecting the barrels pealed back like a banana.
Now Famars tells me they will put a new barrel on but i must again pay for shipping to and ffrom Italy and taxes and duties.
Insane, never again.
Gary

Sounds like the classic obstructed barrel damage, good luck getting them to eat that, if they wouldn't fix stuff that was clearly theirs.
Sorry about your bad experience with that bunch. I will learn from yours.

God Bless America<<<< LINK worth clicking

PostPosted: Mon Jun 28, 2010 4:24 pm 
Crown Grade

If this is the gun I believe it to be, (and the person I believe it to be), I have witnessed the doubling after having been sent back to Italy for repair, and that it happened on more than one occasion. And it was more than 18,000...........beautiful to look at, a joy to swing, but not when it doubles every shot

PostPosted: Mon Jun 28, 2010 5:05 pm 
Diamond Grade

I thought that the acronym FAMARS stood for Fabbrica di Armi di Mario Abbiatico e di Remo Salvinelli. Is there another company called FAMARS?

In my travels to Gardone since 1982 no one has ever mentioned the existence of a FAMARS which is not connected to Abbiatico and Savlinelli, but that does not exclude the possibility. Any more info on this?

PostPosted: Mon Jun 28, 2010 5:12 pm 
Crown Grade

Shooting Sportsman ran ads for these guns not that long ago, (year or so?), FAMARS is the same company mentioned.......it happens.....now and again a boutique gun company makes an OOPS, but to not correct it and pay the freight (especially at 700 a trip) is inexcusable........all the more reason to go with the bigger names...........

PostPosted: Mon Jun 28, 2010 6:55 pm 
Crown Grade

If what you're saying is totally true, then it's a real screw.

Were it me, I would set up a website documenting this.

It'll cost you maybe another hundred bucks or so if you can handle the html software yourself and it would do major harm to their rep in this country.

Title the pages appropriately and in a few months after the spiders get finished, their business would be in the tank and they would settle with you properly.

But only do this if you can pass the standards of a libel suit.

It's SxS, DT splinter/English for me!
Shotguns speak in many voices and fortunate are those of us who hear more than one.
May God bless our Union.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 28, 2010 9:24 pm 
Crown Grade

I agree with Shotgunguru. On my visits to the Gardone area I have never heard of another firm using the FAMARS name. If such a firm exists, I am not aware of it.

garyton,

Sorry to hear about the problems you've encountered with your FAMARS. I'm surprised that the gun left their shop with the doubling problem and am stunned that they did not correct it the first time. Admittedly, a gun in that price bracket should not have such problems.

As most manufacturers' published warranties are F.O.B. manufacturer's plant (or authorized repair station), I expect to pay shipping costs both ways. In your case, it would not have been unreasonable for the manufacturer to reimburse you for the cost of the second return and the final repair. Been there, done that with higher ticket items. It's a hellava lot cheaper than trying to overcome bad press.

Montani Semper Liberi

PostPosted: Mon Jun 28, 2010 9:43 pm 
Utility Grade

I shipped it back today again. They will replace the barrel. This time I asked them to leave the choke tubes off. I want to make this as simple as I can for these people. The reasons given were that maybe I had mud in my barrel or I had a smaller guage shell in below the 28 guage shell. Pleeeease!
I am again getting stuck with the shipping and taxes both ways. The cost of a new 1100.
You are 100% correct CrownGrade.
Never again. You bet, web site later on as my wife is a webmeister:) First I want them to fix it again.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2010 7:54 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

you are NOT the only person I know w/ problems w/ FAMARS.Try Perazzi the next time.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2010 6:57 pm 
Utility Grade

You are 100% correct Sera.
I have shot a Perrazzi ( 15,000 to 25,000 rounds/year) for over 30 years and the only thing ever to go wrong was one broken leaf spring.
I mentally masturbated for half a year comparing building my 28 guage frame gun with Perrazzi and Famars. Now I know I made the wrong decision. You get what you pay for.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 30, 2010 9:19 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

gary: I looked hard at those FAMARS small gauge guns....I really wanted one....but my 2 friends who have FAMARS guns talked me down and I opted for a new Perazzi instead.

The more I hear , the gladder I am (and I'm usually too dumb to take good advice).

PostPosted: Wed Jun 30, 2010 1:44 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

I have a friend that bought 2 highly engraved models for he and his wife. They were fitted for the guns and picked the engraving patterns for both. After a year they came in and the engraving was not right the stocks didn't fit and I told him to ask for his money back.
He decided he would keep them and in less than 5 months they both had broken down. When he got them fixed or was told they were fixed. He then bought 2 SCO side-plates and had stocks made and has not had any problems.
Other than $70k+ of worthless guns in his safe. :(

PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2010 6:57 am 
Utility Grade

That is exactly what I was comparing my famars to, a Perazzi 28 guage side plate SCO. I figured it was prettier and 25% cheaper. I really regret it now.
I will be like the other guy. It will sit in a safe or I will give someone a great deal on a new gun.
Tell your friends.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2014 5:15 pm 
Utility Grade

@garyton I'm sorry you have gone through these difficulties. I will agree with the rest, in the past you where not alone, but today is a very different story. FAMARS USA took complete control of the US market early 2011. With this takeover we have facilitated ALL FAMARS repairs state side, and would of had your barrels repaired without involving such shipping charges.

May i ask how the gun is today? Any issues? to the rest who may be hesitant please give me a call, I will happily answer any question/concern you may have. We have sponsored shooters who put 30,000 rounds through their gun every season without any issue.

PS FAMARS is now owned by FAMARS USA.

Thank you
Andrew
FAMARS USA
www.famars.com
www.famarsusa.com
www.shopfamars.com

PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2014 7:24 pm 
Crown Grade

Since FAMARS went belly up, what guns are you selling?